Notices

All of nothing thinking

Old 12-07-2014, 10:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This thread is one of the reasons I love SR. My heart always sinks a bit when I see a newcomer post about starting sobriety with a whole laundry list of "the new me" resolutions around diet, exercise, finances, work, relationships, etc because it's a mirror to my "all or none" thinking that is a sure fire guarantee of failure for me.

I find that even sobriety as a concept can become all consuming as I lose focus on family, hobbies, friendships and even faith. AA can become the latest and greatest be all and end all system that grabs all my attention. Just this morning my sponsor helped reground me by reminding me that AA exists for no other purpose than sobriety. It's not about building community, making friends, meeting social needs or being a replacement for church.

It's comforting to learn that all or none thinking is a common alcoholic trait because it helps me place it into the context of progression and not perfection.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm tipping you have yet to crack open the book yet Lance?
Old 12-07-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
I'm tipping you have yet to crack open the book yet Lance?
I've gotten to about the middle of the chapter to employers before the personal stories start, and this week I'm starting Step 4 in the 12x12. I expect there's a lot more to be discovered and understood than a first reading can give.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Serenidad - Thanks for understanding and I get what you are saying. Be grounded and focus on the here and now. i really have trouble with putting my brain away. It is overactive most of the time which helps me in certain areas, but not so much in others. I wish there was an OFF switch for my mind...or even a slow-down switch. Alcohol seems to help in this category, but it is a dangerous faulty switch.
I know ArtFriend! It's so hard to NOT think isn't it? I have wished I could have amnesia at certain times! Lol. Hang in there friend! Xo
Old 12-07-2014, 11:48 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lance40 View Post
I've gotten to about the middle of the chapter to employers before the personal stories start, and this week I'm starting Step 4 in the 12x12. I expect there's a lot more to be discovered and understood than a first reading can give.
Yep, there sure is.

Keep up the good work mate.

Step 4&5.... Looks scary, feels great

All the best!!