Notices

2nd night sober, can't stop thinking about booze

Old 11-24-2014, 11:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2nd night sober, can't stop thinking about booze

I'm on my second night with no alcohol and I'm starting to fight myself in my head. I wanna just get plastered right now and I don't wanna at the same time. I watched some YouTube videos on how alcohol damages the liver and even that wasn't enough to silence my alcoholic inner voice. Wtf is up with that? I remember when I used to be able to go weeks without a drink and not even think about that. Now I try to go 3-4 days without a drink and it seems so goddamn impossible. Someone say something that'll quiet my inner voice for the night pleasssssse
Old 11-24-2014, 11:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to this forum. You will find support here. I suggest you read and reflect. It's a tough battle and we are all going through it. Hang in there. Each day of soberiety will feel better and better. Don't give in to the demon. You know you are doing the right thing. Posting at 2 days in says it all.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's perfectly normal to feel that way - we drank for years after all, right?
The more nights you get though the thoughts the easier it gets though

Have you seen this link - some good suggestions here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Old 11-25-2014, 12:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi scared. I really feel for you. Did you see a doctor about giving up or just go cold turkey? In the past when I have given up by myself with no medication to ease the cravings, I just have to lie down with a damp towel over my eyes and forehead for a while, even if not tired. It seems to calm down my nervous system, then I can get up and eat something. Sorry I haven't got more advice to offer you, but you have our support. Hang in there, all the best to you. Be kind to yourself.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Scared,
This is the hardest part of the first couple weeks. You just need to power through it because it gets better quickly. This is the one time I think the phrase 'One day at a time' makes sense. Get through today. Do it for yourself because you want to see what it's like on the other side when the cravings subside and you start to feel better. You want to see what that's like right? There's only one way to get to that place. Do it and two weeks from now you'll look back and say, I'm glad I pushed through.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It's perfectly normal to feel that way - we drank for years after all, right?
The more nights you get though the thoughts the easier it gets though

Have you seen this link - some good suggestions here

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html
Spot again D
Old 11-25-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Remember they are just thoughts and thoughts come and go all the time. We all have many thoughts we don't act on, even when we should sometimes! Try to detach a little from the maelstrom in your head, I find deep belly breathing helps. Take care,you can do this.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Scared.
This period is the worst for now and if you pick up the next time won’t be easier.
When I went through this period I tried to concentrate on thinking of non drinking thoughts each time the obsession jumped into my mind.
Many people don’t/won’t think of saying little simple prayers, it’s been proven to work in many cases, I’m not a religious person but it helped me.
Another suggestion that helped was to consume sugar like in candy bars and sugar drinks along with lots of water.
Many also find positive thinking helps also.

BE WELL
Old 11-25-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Scared ,you have some good advice here. I just shouted at that voice that was telling me to drink "No, no no !!" I was determined to beat it. It will get easier.

Hang in there hun.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You my friend are going to need a plan of attack. A road map on how to go about this. Everyone's is different and unique. Some include AA, some rely heavily on family and friends, some use just this form. There are some that use reward systems. Everyone's resources are different, but you need to find something that works for you vs. whiteknucking it.

I have seen people pledge to do 30 days and take it form there. often in early recovery the concept of never drinking again messes with your mind.

Set some goals! It does get easier over time and as new habits develop. It is not just not drinking, it is changing your lifestyle and rediscovering yourself. Best of luck to you in the process. We are here for you!
Old 11-25-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just an example not necessary saying this is your plan just some direction on what I was talking about...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...very-plan.html
Old 11-25-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Scared, knowing what your AV is and learning how to respond to it, is a big part of recovery. The disease does not want to give up and it doesn't want you to win, so it will fight back in early recovery. But, recognize it, feel it, and let it go.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there!! You can do this!!
Old 11-25-2014, 11:45 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

how are you Scared? Hope you made it through the day.
Old 11-25-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hang in there, it gets easier. I have been where you are. I am here now, on day 44 of sobriety. My thoughts started just like yours, now I still think about drinking, but not anywhere near how i once did. It is hard, but it is worth it. You want to do this, so get ready for the challenge and grind through it. You can do it, I believe in you!