Notices

First time here or anywhere like this

Old 11-20-2014, 01:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by antiquity View Post
Hi all,

I never dreamed I'd be in this position. I have a great job, family, kids, and work out 6 days a week. People think I have myself totally together.

But I have a monster in me that comes out when I drink. I don't drink that often, but when I do become someone else. I am ashamed and embarrassed for my actions, and I'm lucky my wife has put with me but won't any longer. I finally realized I need to just stop completely, because I am prone to reckless behavior anytime that I drink and I just can't trust myself to act mature and sensibly. I always would rationalize that I don't drink that often so it's not a problem. But when I drink I will sometimes do it to such excess that I don't remember anything, and I may even be driving.

I don't know why I do it. I think it gives me confidence and takes the edge of the anxiety I feel. But I am fed up with myself and know I cannot continue in this way. But now that I made this decision to stop suddenly I feel scared and empty and unable to face life and the poor decisions I have made.

Thanks for any help and advice.
The best advice that I can give you os to go to this link....read what you see and keep clicking next.
https://rational.org/index.php?id=36
Old 11-20-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thank you for this post. I can completely relate. I am tired of the monster taking over and making poor choices and ruining everything that is great in my life.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

If drinking is causing you to behave inappropriately, it is probably best to stop. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Welcome, friend!

Loved reading all the inspirational posts from others.....A single thread may break, but together the rope is strong!

Together, we stay sober

FlyN
Old 11-20-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Sounds like you are REALLY motivated and committed, and those qualities can be a huge help. It really does come down to willingness, not will power.

I have not picked up a drink since the day before my first AA meeting (six years ago). Relapse is NOT a requirement. I know many, many people who never picked up another drink.

When I decided to quit drinking (and I, too, felt at the end of my rope), I had a "plan A" and a "plan B." "Plan A" was going to 90 meetings in 90 days, doing something positive for my sobriety every day, avoiding places or situations that might derail me. If after that time I wasn't still sober, "Plan B" was to go to rehab.

I never had to go to "Plan B," but having it in my mind underscored the seriousness of my commitment.

I really suggest you start off with AA. My first husband got sober there and 35 years later he's still sober. I know it works. I know other people who have successfully gotten sober and stayed that way without AA, so it isn't the ONLY option (although it has been known to succeed for those for whom all else had failed).

Congrats on your decision to give yourself a new life--you will never regret it.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I personally never became a totally different person when I drank. I was a happy drunk. However, I do know many people like you who unlease the monster inside when they drink. My brother is one of them. He's been married 4 times, numerous legal issues, health problems etc. Your post reminded me of my brother. He talks about what he calls "the monster under the bed" all the time.

The monster is alcohol. It is a chemical that interacts with the brain and can cause severe behavioral disturbances. I don't know why it interacts differently for different people. Probably because we are all uniquely created with our own personal body chemistry.

Life without alcohol may seem empty and scary now, but many people here have attested to the fact that that is when their life began!!