Notices

AA Annoys me!

Old 11-18-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I don't know. I think that, maybe, anger is better than numbness. You can turn anger around but it is hard to get your arms and head around numbness. Numbness from alcohol may take away pain but its immediate effect is very short-lived; it's long- term effects can take you beyond numbness into a frozen-zone.

Alcoholism has set you back some in your life-plan but you CAN get back on track; it will take some effort but your education is still attainable. In the total scheme of life, this will eventually become no more than a bump in the road; I know that it is hard or nearly impossible to see it now but many people get derailed and back on track and so can you.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by hunterismia View Post
I don't know what it is but listening to other peoples stories just makes me roll my eyes. It makes me want to tell them to shut the ****up and they don't understand. Why are you so happy telling your story? Shut up.

They say how alcohol made them feel the first time they drank ect... I feel I can't relate to any of them. I feel my ideas of why I drink are very different than theirs.

Part of me thinks this might be me angry at myself but projecting those feelings on to others? I like to psychoanalyze situations.

Thoughts?

I feel so angry!
You have a case of terminal uniqueness.
Keep coming back.....It hurts, then it works!
Old 11-18-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hunter please stay strong tonight. I too find myself being mad at people in the AA meetings too. I've been sober on and off with no more than 2 consecutive months. I'm currently am on day 2. And honestly I haven't found a group I've jived with. Your post and the responses it got has me thinking maybe that is the problem: I'm mad at me! Thx for being honest with your thoughts. But don't drink....they will still be at their meeting smiling and telling stories and u will be in active alcoholic hell. Walk through it like some said to u. I'm using that advice for my next issue.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Well, I tend to avoid things that annoy me if at all possible. There are lots of ways to stay sober, only one involves AA.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by ru12 View Post
Well, I tend to avoid things that annoy me if at all possible. There are lots of ways to stay sober, only one involves AA.

Hmmm,

Ru12 from 3/2014

It has been a long time for me since I've been in a meeting. I guess poking around this section and reading a bit about Dr. Bob (thanks Aw) got me thinking about spending some time with others like me, in person. And let tell you it was a comfort to sit for a hour with some members of my tribe, just looking at them and them at me it felt like I knew them in a way. A few there remember me from over 3 years ago! That is hard to fathom because I didn't attend for that long and I never said anything at all while I was there. I just sat and listened.

It was a crowded meeting, an As Bill Sees It 12-12 format. A few spoke of a spiritual solution, some spoke of problems in their lives, and most spoke of being grateful for their sobriety. I'm grateful for mine as well. It is funny how we all seem to get along in person . . .
There were a few people there that were still shaky and jittery, I sure remember feeling that way. I put my hand out and greeted one. I told him he didn't have to feel this way again. He looked like he might cry. I was him a few years ago. Anyway, I hope that he finds a way out. I hope they all do.

Have a good day friends.
end

Sometimes we have to get through minor annoyances and look for similarities, perhaps. I know and understand AA is not for everyone - but, sharing of ones own benefits derived from any program may be useful to newcomer......
Old 11-18-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

duplicate post
Old 11-18-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I drank to numb out bad memories and emotions.
Wow. And you have never heard anyone else share that they drank for similar reasons at an AA meeting? Seriously?

You're newly sober. A lot of stuff bother you now. Just don't drink, it gets better I promise.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I drank to numb out bad memories and emotions.
Yup, here,too. But the insane thing was not seeing it didn't work. Bad memories and emotions were there the next morning every time.

Is there any possibility that the anger you are experiencing is denial? As inn you hear yourself in other people but don't want to believe it?
Old 11-18-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm trying to convince myself to drink right now.... ugh.
Although AA now is one of the arrows in my recovery quiver...I do recall being at a meeting back in 2007 (and I hadn't been sober or in AA long) when I looked around and thought "for crying out loud, I would rather drink than come to one more of these effin' meetings". I got up and walked out.

Not to say that AA is for everyone, but in all honesty I really hadn't quite given up my fight to exert control over alcohol... I wasn't down for the count. I had some fight left in me. I needed far more convincing. I needed to waste more time, kill more brain cells, ruin more relationships...oh I could go on and on at the price I paid in not admitting..defeat.

I'm not quite 5 months sober and I do whatever I have to in order to fill my time, grow as a person, build my economic and emotional stability, make friends, open my heart, tolerate the opinions of others (not necessarily heed but definitely hear 'em out)....

Sobriety is hard...you gotta build a life here.

I don't like depressing drunk-o-logues or bossy zealots but...hey..try another meeting..see if you can find some folks you resonate with. There are good meetings and not so great meetings.

Don't go back to what you have always done...do something different. If you don't like something or someone ..well, you learned something. Go find something or someone you like.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Was it because they were smiling and you weren't that put a burr under your saddle
Old 11-18-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Flynbuy View Post
Hmmm,

Ru12 from 3/2014

It has been a long time for me since I've been in a meeting. I guess poking around this section and reading a bit about Dr. Bob (thanks Aw) got me thinking about spending some time with others like me, in person. And let tell you it was a comfort to sit for a hour with some members of my tribe, just looking at them and them at me it felt like I knew them in a way. A few there remember me from over 3 years ago! That is hard to fathom because I didn't attend for that long and I never said anything at all while I was there. I just sat and listened.

It was a crowded meeting, an As Bill Sees It 12-12 format. A few spoke of a spiritual solution, some spoke of problems in their lives, and most spoke of being grateful for their sobriety. I'm grateful for mine as well. It is funny how we all seem to get along in person . . .
There were a few people there that were still shaky and jittery, I sure remember feeling that way. I put my hand out and greeted one. I told him he didn't have to feel this way again. He looked like he might cry. I was him a few years ago. Anyway, I hope that he finds a way out. I hope they all do.

Have a good day friends.
end

Sometimes we have to get through minor annoyances and look for similarities, perhaps. I know and understand AA is not for everyone - but, sharing of ones own benefits derived from any program may be useful to newcomer......

Ummmm...Flynbuy?

Did you an RU12 break up or something recently?

You yanked a random 8 month old post out of your SR holster like a ninja.
Old 11-18-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
~sb

resentment is our number one offender according to that big book. what a good way to start a 4th step and move forward on recovery?
Old 11-18-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I am here simply because I'm an alcoholic. This site, and going to AA meetings, and hoping there's some higher power out there bigger than my ego and pride, is saving my a$$ on a daily basis. 18 days ago I just was sick and tired of drinking to excess, repeated the same binging cycle over and over for years. Wishing you, and all of us here good luck. Peace-out, MJM
Old 11-18-2014, 04:40 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

Okay, people, keep personal comments to other members to PM, and keep the thread focused on the Original Poster.

And, please remember our mandate:

Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
Old 11-18-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

You're only a week into recovery. For many of us - including myself - that sweet, sweet anger and bitterness still comes out in full force at 7 days. The brain hasn't had time to recover and rid itself of the toxins; plus, there's probably still some anxiety about not being able to drink. All of that can add up to the emotions that you described.

In time, as your mind clears and begins to heal, those feelings will diminish. Hang in there!
Old 11-18-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I was at my AA meeting today and one of the ladies was talking to a new lady and told her we met everyday at noon. I told her that NA met there at noon on sunday but they used the same 12 steps and in my mind booze is a narcotic in a way. She corrected me and told me narcotics are uppers and booze is a downer. I tried explaining to her that weed was not an upper but she kept on about how she saw things. It annoyed me but I will keep going to my AA meetings and maybe NA meetings also. I did have a weed problem, although I could take it or leave it, unlike booze that I had to have (and am craving pretty bad even on day 15 of sobriety). So I just wanted to say, yes people can get annoying but you are there for your sobriety, not theirs.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:04 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

"...in my mind booze is a narcotic in a way. She corrected me and told me narcotics are uppers and booze is a downer. I tried explaining to her..."

The next time you run into this person, or if the subject ever comes up again, you might want to suggest that she check out a dictionary..........:

A narcotic is a drug (as opium or morphine) that in moderate doses dulls the senses, relieves pain, and induces profound sleep but in excessive doses causes stupor, coma, or convulsions, or something that soothes, relieves, or lulls.

A narcotic is an addictive drug, such as opium, that reduces pain, alters mood and behavior, and usually induces sleep or stupor. Natural and synthetic narcotics are used in medicine to control pain; a soothing, numbing agent or thing.

adjective:
1. Inducing sleep or stupor; causing narcosis;
2. Of or relating to narcotics, their effects, or their use;
3. Of, relating to, or intended for one addicted to a narcotic.

A narcotic is any of a group of drugs, such as heroin, morphine, and pethidine, that produce numbness and stupor. They are used medicinally to relieve pain but are sometimes also taken for their pleasant effects; prolonged use may cause addiction; anything that relieves pain or induces sleep, mental numbness, etc.; any illegal drug;

adjective
(Pharmacology) of, relating to, or designating narcotics;
of or relating to narcotics addicts or users
(Medicine) of or relating to narcosis.

A narcotic is any of a class of habituating or addictive substances that blunt the senses and in increasing doses cause confusion, stupor, coma, and death: some are used in medicine to relieve intractable pain or induce anesthesia; anything that exercises a soothing or numbing effect or influence.

adjective:
of or having the power to produce narcosis, as a drug;
pertaining to or of the nature of narcosis;
of or pertaining to narcotics or their use;
used by, or in the treatment of, narcotic addicts.

In other words, a narcotic is Any of a group of highly addictive analgesic drugs derived from opium or opiumlike compounds. Narcotics can cause drowsiness and significant alterations of mood and behavior.

(o:
NoelleR
Old 11-19-2014, 02:41 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

You're doing great, Hunterismia, stay strong.

Yeah, I don't get on with everyone at AA either. I've heard the same stories three times now from some people. But when it finally comes to telling my story, they will listen.

You don't go to the supermarket and expect to like everyone.

Personally, I've come to realise that I am a self- centred, angry drama queen. It's at least a place to work from, where before I had no place to start.

I think your observations about it being better to feel anger instead of numbness are spot on.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

If AA is annoying you..... Keep going.

It's probably knocking on the door of your resistance. That tends to **** it right off.
Old 11-19-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Try this..... Next time you're angry at a meeting, tell yourself inwardly 'within my own anger may be found my healing'.

Breathe deeply, feel that anger, and at the same time say inwardly to yourself 'I am willing to heal'.

See what happens. And let me know.... Because I am curious what would have happened had I done so ten years ago when first my own resistance and anger kept me from embracing AA.

Back before the two divorces and the second DUI....

Thanks!