Notices

Ok. Help, ok?

Old 11-08-2014, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ok. Help, ok?

My niece is going back to Texas at 5am. I'll be up at 300am to take her to the airport. I leave Tuesday and I am dying inside at the thought Of leaving my parents. I cannot breathe thinking about it. There is no oxygen. Too much happened too fast. I can't catch up. How is this going to work for them? They will grieve and I won't be there. Crap. Now I have a thousand things to do in two days. These things have to be done. Including going to Church, spending Sunday night with Mom while Dad is at Church, I have an app at 1000am on Monday morning, then spend the rest of the time with them, up at 330am on Tuesday for my flight. Ok. This is my question. I have not given one second of thought to my sobriety. I haven't drank in 10 or so days. My niece is here drinking on the couch. I don't feel one thing or had one thought about drinking. I haven't done paid any attention to drinking or not. All I feel is grief. Horrible grief. What is going on here.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

You cannot grieve for them Raider, it is their cross to bear. I hope you can perhaps find some counsel for yourself, that is where you need to focus.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't have much to say but maybe try some counseling, some one to help you make sense of your fears and teach you a new way of thinking. Hope you feel better soon congrats on 10 days
Old 11-08-2014, 09:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There hasn't been time for that Scott.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know your situation, but I can feel your pain.

I know that when I put things in front of my sobriety, all is lost. Sobriety always comes first, and somehow, everything else gets taken care of.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your loved ones.

Jwalker
Old 11-08-2014, 09:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
You have to make time. You can't help anyone until you help yourself. You've been beating yourself up about this for several weeks now, you simply have to back away. It will be your undoing if you don't.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hugs to you Raider. Maybe you just know that you need to be present. The emotion and feelings are real, intense and unlike anything you have experienced before. Your mind and body does not have room for numbing or getting rid of anything that you are feeling.

Feeling keeps you connected.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

It's real good to hear from you Pam!

Maybe your pastor could spend some time with you or your family tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

" I have not given one second of thought to my sobriety. I haven't drank in 10 or so days."

" I have not given one second of thought to my sobriety. "

BOOM..... There it is, helping others helps you not drink.

Precisely what Bill and Bob figured out when they started AA.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I thought about a grief counseling. But everyone is sad when a loved one passes so unexpectedly. And leaving your aging parents is common among people our age, who doesn't grieve these things? And this grief is so overwhelming, I cannot breathe. I can't grieve here. But I can't stop grieving. I don't feel like my grief is anymore overwhelming than anyone else's. But I guess I don't know that. I'm scared to leave here and scars to go.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
pray for strength

I thought about a grief counseling. But everyone is sad when a loved one passes so unexpectedly. And leaving your aging parents is common among people our age, who doesn't grieve these things? And this grief is so overwhelming, I cannot breathe. I can't grieve here. But I can't stop grieving. I don't feel like my grief is anymore overwhelming than anyone else's. But I guess I don't know that. I'm scared to leave here and scars to go.
That is understandable. The world is different and unknown. What you have in Alaska is the most familiar and knowable.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm sure your parents appreciate the unconditional love and support you give to them, but I imagine all they want is for you to be happy and at peace with your self.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Pam, for me, grief is an up and down thing. I don't know if one could survive the piercing, sharp pain if it was steady. I think most of us need help in coming into the reality of Death. while I could manage the concept, I couldnt get a grip on the pain. I remember laying in bed, feeling my heartbeat and wondering how it could keep beating in such pain.

Bereavement counseling is not a long term, drawn-out deal. It's usually short term, six or so sessions. I think it's good to grieve properly, to allow and reconcile the emotions. I don't think it ever goes away, I think I just learned to live with it, to put it in a proper context.

Drinking interferes with the process and makes it much more painful, I found. and the pain can't be held down. mourning is necessary.

I know I'm explaining this poorly. please know I do understand, I do want to help. you might call your local hospital and check with the social service department to see if they can refer you to a grief counselor. And you might want to look at getting some help with coping with your aged and much loved parents. It's a hard transition, it was for me.

And you know, we will be here for you.

love from Lenina
Old 11-09-2014, 01:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Pam, I know exactly what you mean. My parents are only an hour and a half away. I spend every moment I can with them these days. The grief is a precursor. It's knowing that this may be the last time I see one of them alive. That's terrifying. Thinking about it makes my eyes tear up.

All we can do is soldier on. Accept reality. Cherish them and show them our love every moment we live.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Nothing more to say that hasn't already been said. There's some great advice here as per normal.

I'm glad you're reaching out now since your grief is liable to take on a whole new level when you're back home and have the time to truly let everything sink in. Please don't forget there is plenty of help here & out there in the real world. All you have to do is look for it and ask.

More than anything, I just want to send you support & love.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

I am so very sorry for your loss, my sister passed away almost two years ago after battling cancer for only five months, so it was "kind of" sudden. Absolutely seek counseling, or at least a grief support group. Take your time with your grief, your parents will grieve in their own way as well. I can not stress how important it is to allow yourself to grieve, if you don't it will eventually catch up and it is not pretty when it does. Good for you for staying sober!
Old 11-09-2014, 06:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hugs to you, dear Pam, I'm so terribly sorry for what you are going through.
Please look after yourself, one little step at a time.
Prayers for you.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Prayers, hugs and love, Pam. So very sorry for your loss.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry Pam
I do think the grief sessions would be helpful and give you a place
to let some of your pain out safely.

Please take time to care for yourself.
Old 11-09-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Pam, have you been able to arrange a care-giver for your parents, or a cleaning person to come in once a week? Would meals-on-wheels help them?

I'm so sorry for your loss, Pam.