Notices

Did something NEW that can help others

Old 11-09-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did something NEW that can help others

I have always looked at Drinking as a bad habit that I needed to cut back on or moderate.

Just this week I switched things & told myself this is a DISEASE like CANCER! And just like a cancer patient I MUST/WILL do everything in my POWER to beat it & kick it's butt & all the junk it has brought! That mentality shifted the game in my head to a WHOLE different level, one that I HAVE TO/AM going to win! With same intensity as a Cancer patient survivor.

To clarify I don't use this as a 'Victim' card (ex. It's not my fault it's a disease) but as a SHIFT in Intensity & Stakes of the Game to have no other option but to Win!

This has helped greatly & hope it can help many others as well!!
(nother thing that has helped is finding out ALL the Big Names out there who don't drink for 1 reason or another; & just about ALL of them say the DECISION to not drink/drugs has led to majority of their success)
Old 11-09-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Excellent! I know that you're right. Sobriety is THE best decision. Good luck with everything.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

pls dont compare alcoholism to cancer EVER

Cancer patients have no choice in getting cancer me and my gf have just lost someone to cancer just a few days ago

What a thing to say
Old 11-09-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

A better analogy is diabetes. It has no cure but with proper treatment a person can have a normal, full, and rich life
Old 11-09-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I read the book, Kick the Drink Easily, it helped me look at alcohol in a whole new light. It is a poisonous, serious drug that really isn't good for anyone, alcoholic or not. I am one who prides myself in eating healthfully, exercising, and getting plenty of sleep and it became more and more clear to me, how much I was negating all of that with imbibing poison on a regular basis. I never say that "I can't drink", I say that "I don't drink" and I say that with pride in my choices.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Some got offend by MY personal opinion on the Cancer analogy. While I didn't mean to offend, it is MY comparison, that works for me & others. I have had friends & family member that passed away due to cancer. It can take over everything & you have got to kick butt daily to win & beat it. In that aspect kicking butt daily & never give in, I believe it is a great analogy, but substitute it out for anything else if it helps. I'm setting it up for Complete Commitment no other option. Again if anyone got horribly offended apologies, but it works for me & others, so if you got offended, sorry but that's on you. Said w' love.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

The comparison between cancer and alcoholism is made here pretty regularly Fish.

I think something like diabetes, like MIIRecovery suggests is probably a better fit, disease wise.

I actually think of it as more like a mental illness than anything else.

You're entitled to your opinion. If others disagree they have a right to post about it too, or they can avoid your thread.

but... if I posted something that clearly offended people and I went to the effort of making an apology I'd probably leave the 'but thats on you' bit out.

just sayin'...

D
Old 11-09-2014, 05:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

It IS a disease. We don't choose to have it. However, as others have stated, diabetes is a closer analogy, simply because both properly treated can lead to full and happy lives. Both untreated will lead to an early grave.

However, as someone in my home group put it the other night, "Alcoholism is the only disease that tells you everything is going to be OK." Cunning, baffling, and powerful it is.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

the point is you recognize it is something that is not normal or healthy.

Abstinence is the only fix. You can do it - just never forget what you're up against.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My sponsor had cancer & beat it.

He uses the analogy.

Simply what he means, is that, in his opinion, we need to go after alcoholism in the same aggressive manner & with the same verve.

People don't take cancer lightly, neither the sufferer nor anyone concerned with the person.

They gather around & support them as much as they can.

"get to your treatment for Gods sake"
"do you need a lift to the hospital ?"
"What can I do to help?"

However, when it comes to alcoholism, people concerned with the alcoholic often aren't anywhere near as supportive.

"why do you need to go to AA ??"
"why do you need to hang out on some forum??"
"why can't you just stop drinking and get on with your life??"

Alcoholics themselves & those around them don't take alcoholism as seriously as they would cancer.

Having had a taste of "end stage" alcoholism ..... I no longer take it lightly & neither does my wife.

Alcohol kills alcoholics.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I see the point. The comparison 'for what it is' has some parallels to treating an illness.

Be informed about about the illness of alcoholism.
Find a treatment method.
Practice a heather lifestyle.

Alcoholism is a very serious illness and it can lead to death. Thinking alcoholism/alcohol abuse as habit or something to do in moderation, is called "stinking thinking" for an alcoholic. CBT can help with quitting alcohol by learning how to see things in different healthy way.