Notices

Upset by something I overheard

Old 10-29-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I have a hard time interpreting that as insensitive or whatever without the other half of the conversation (I've characterized drunks before on the forum, not sure if I get a license to do so because I am one or if that was offensive to some, too). But even if it was, how is getting angry about that or reporting what you heard to a supervisor going to help your sobriety, if at all?
Old 10-29-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Do your best

Do you what you believe is the right thing to do and think about it properly before you say or do anything

Good luck friend
Old 10-29-2014, 02:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Originally Posted by readerbaby71 View Post
I dunno....maybe a couple of them are addicts and were laughing at themselves. It's hard to say. Sorry it made you feel badly though.
I thought someone had do be an addict to counsel someone who was. They should know how a statement like that can sting. Maybe they were just be careless (like an addict).
Old 10-29-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Asshats, Indeed. Welp, it appears that they think there is something awesome about making a point to separate themselves from people who are struggling. It appears that they are attempting to laugh at a group of people who are strong enough to be vulnerable and malleable to change. Sounds like they have some defense mechanisms to distract away from what they are being controlled by. Just because they have a degree in doing what they are doing doesn't make them qualified. They are wolves in sheep's clothes and you're not. Feel empathy for their weakness and hypocrisy. Smile because you're stronger.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Maybe one of them said "I keep making choices that aren't good for me"

And then one of them said..........
Old 10-29-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Inappropriate and unprofessional for sure. Someone above hit the nail on the head - it should be reported because what if someone who was feeling vulnerable and seeking help overheard that?? It is very likely they would turn around and never come back and not get the help they need.

It is unsettling - when you bear your soul and vulnerabilities to someone you do not expect them to turn around and mock you.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
oak

I recently sought help at a recovery center. I have been afraid of that attitude. but getting help is worth the risk.

I work in mental health. some therapists are congruent with everyone- they don't speak badly of clients. and some therapists say stupid insensitive things.

if it bugs you when you see your therapist next, mention it. the staff there need to be reminded about respect and confidentiality. (i hope they were addicts laughing about themselves, as someone else suggested was possible)
Old 10-29-2014, 07:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Thank you guys for your responses. You've offered some really valuable perspectives on this issue. I think I will bring it up to my therapist next time. While there are many ways in which that comment could have been taken out of context, it could be received exactly as I received it, and someone in a very fragile state may be deterred from seeking any more help. That therapist, who is a mental health professional, should be aware of how her comment may be received.

I completely understand and expect that people in difficult jobs like that need to blow off some steam. I have no doubt my own therapist has some choice words for me from time to time. That's fine, I know I'm working with humans. But a closed door can make a world of difference.

And after much thought, I feel like standing up for us.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I know a couple who are both teachers, I've met their friends, also teachers. Over a drink (it wasn't recent) they talked with such distain about some children that I was completely shocked. After all, a 12 year old might have a terrible homelife and all sorts of problems that cause them to act out. After I pointed this out, they pretty much stopped talking to me.

Unfortunately, having a responsible job does not mean that the person is responsible. Or caring. Or professional.

Some people are just *****, basically, I just try to not let them get to me.