Notices

Upset by something I overheard

Old 10-29-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Upset by something I overheard

Last week I was leaving an appointment with my therapist who works in the chemical dependency department of a medical building. On my way out of the department, I passed by a group of therapists in the hall and overheard one of them laughing about something and saying “that’s what the addicts say!”

This made me angry. I realize that’s what we are, but it’s a nasty word to just throw around, and it’s no laughing matter to the addict who’s walking by worried about the prospect of an early death. It was like walking by a group of psychiatrists and hearing one laugh about “those crazy people.”

I’m probably being too sensitive, but it hit a raw nerve and has gnawed at me ever since. I didn’t choose to be an addict. I’m ashamed, I’m scared. It isn’t funny. And sure, if you work with heavy stuff day in and day out, you get desensitized and make light of it to blow off some steam. I get it, I work in criminal justice, we do the same thing.

But we don’t do it out in the hall in front of the struggling people we’re here to help. If we did, I would expect our clientele to lose some of their faith and trust in us. Which is exactly what happened to me.

Okay, vent over. Thanks for listening.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is really callous and unprofessional.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think you're being too sensitive at all.
That was highly insensitive and not ok. A$$hats.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I didn't know psychologists could have a sense of humor.. i thought they lacked that gene
Old 10-29-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree, it is very unprofessional. There is no excuse for bad behavior.

Just know something I immediately thought about you. One is that your feelings come shining through, and that is a great thing. To be in touch with how you feel sometimes causes anger, and it is absolutely correct to feel angry about that.

Two, that you are brave. Here you are admitting that you are scared and ashamed. But....here you are, seeing a therapist, doing something about it! Good for you! No matter what your issue is, and every single person has issues, to be willing to address them and admit them so readily is huge. Some people go their entire lives not being able to just do those two things.

So while I am so sorry you had that experience, and it hurts, know that you are doing some very right things in the right direction, and no one can take that away from you.

Have a blessed day!
Old 10-29-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are not being overly sensitive. They are being unprofessional. Sounds liike they need to find new jobs.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
I agree, it is very unprofessional. There is no excuse for bad behavior.

Just know something I immediately though about you. One is that your feelings come shining through, and that is a great thing. To be in touch with how you feel sometimes causes anger, and it is absolutely correct to feel angry about that.

Two, that you are brave. Here you are admitting that you are scared and ashamed. But....here you are, seeing a therapist, doing something about it! Good for you! No matter what your issue is, and every single person has issues, to be willing to address them and admit them so readily is huge. Some people go their entire lives not being able to just do those two things.

So while I am so sorry you had that experience, and it hurts, know that you are doing some very right things in the right direction, and no one can take that away from you.

Have a blessed day!

Hopeful, you are very well named. THIS is an awesome post!
Old 10-29-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well Thank You Altoids. I appreciate that very much.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your upset. It was definitely unprofessional.
I've been carting around a book called "Addiction and Grace" for months. I keep it in my truck and refer to it often. The author, May I believe pretty much believes we are ALL "addicts" of one form or another. We can become obsessively attached to just about anything. Obviously some attachments are for more serious and lethal than others...

But we all make mistakes...we all say unthinking things. I think those in caring professions probably need to blow off steam more than others. If we want grace extended to ourselves..I suppose we must extend it to others...like people who make thoughtless, jerky comments.

Nevertheless...that shouldn't negate your feelings on it.
It was a callous, unprofessional comment. No doubt.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

What other people think of me is none of my business.
I refuse to no longer give them any ammunition to use against me.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Bring it up at your next appointment. They need to know what happened. Or call the office and file a "complaint." They need to be aware of the issue.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I wouldn't worry about it too much. The fact is that you only heard a very small part of a conversation. Who knows what the rest of the conversation was like. I would suggest trying to avoid spinning up an entire story and assuming they were making fun of you or addicts in general.

In other words: Don't take it personal!
Old 10-29-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You're right though, they should be a little more sensitive about what they talk about in an earshot of their clientele.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I work in a level One Trauma Center in Education for medical students, this is a US medical school with strict rules, my department is especially very conservative.
NO ONE is to discuss patients or other physicians in a public setting, (or your personal life within patient earshot). if anyone hears students discuss this type of thing or even another doctor, student, it is usually reported back to me and the particular student is reminded....in writing...we call it a Professionalism Form and it is a permanent record. American medical schools do not tolerate this at all.

Please discuss this with your own doc at your next session. it's not a matter of being sensitive, it's a point of being a Medical Professional and respecting patient privacy, pubic discussion does not belong in a clinical setting.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

That just made me imagine the leaders of my local weightwatchers groups coming out and laughing saying 'that's what the fat people say ha ha' - no not acceptable at all I'm appalled.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Missing piece of information is what do the addicts say about what??

*shrug *

With out that information it's hard to say if they are laughing with us or at us.

Perhaps they weren't laughing at us?
Old 10-29-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Altoids View Post
Bring it up at your next appointment. They need to know what happened. Or call the office and file a "complaint." They need to be aware of the issue.
Exactly.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
now's the time

I agree that you should tell your therapist so that s/he can bring it up at the next department meeting... as you note, you understand the letting off of steam/dark humor based on your own profession, so it sounds like you were able to roll with it a bit even while it upset you. But if someone had been walking by who didn't have that context, they might leave the building and never come back.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Plenty of addicts amongst their own profession too. They are probably working with colleagues with hidden addictions. My doctor himself is a recovering alcoholic.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:35 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I dunno....maybe a couple of them are addicts and were laughing at themselves. It's hard to say. Sorry it made you feel badly though.