Notices

Loss - coming back to SR

Old 10-28-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Loss - coming back to SR

Long time no post but I had to come back. I’d say not many of you will remember me but I started on SR back in 2009, same story as most, was losing pretty much everything to booze back then, job, family, respect, health, etc. Stayed 100% sober for a year until my wife (now ex-) went into a bipolar manic state that just blew the wheels off everything in my life (ironically after I had cleaned up so much). Back to the booze for another period (though not quite as bad as before, as I was sole caretaker for my son while she was out “walking the earth” in her mania). We later divorced after her mania subsided, largely due to the amount of debt she racked up while she was gone. We got back together though; I thought it would be good for my son and I still to this day deeply love her – but we didn’t get remarried. Back on the wagon for me, and everything was good up until this past summer.

In June, she was able to get all her debt erased via bankruptcy, and started demanding we get married again. I was not ready for marriage, as I am scared to death of another manic phase starting. So she cheated on me, I found out, she left again in July. Since then I have had a few bad episodes with alcohol and felt I needed to come back here just to share because I need to stay strong. There is a major custody battle on the horizon, as child support will be her only source of income in a few months (I’m still paying her for half of the assets we split in the divorce, but not much is left). She does not want to work – says her bipolar disorder is “disabling” and that it is my responsibility to take care of her for the rest of her life (even though she can go to parties, football games, poker tournaments, etc). I want to keep my son at home because, even though I’m not perfect, I think I am a better option than someone who sees him as an ATM.

So I’m trying. I need to stay totally clean but sometimes I just feel like I’ve lost faith in everything. I’ve tried not drinking, church, counseling, ignoring her, being really nice to her, but it is so tough just dealing with her indifference, my loneliness, and all these other problems I can sometimes shut out but come roaring back at me.

I do know that not drinking is one very positive step that I can take, so I’m going to be around SR for some time to come. Just wanted to reintroduce myself I guess.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you're here!!!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Way to go Saddler!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome home
Old 10-28-2014, 10:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome back.

You've got 99 troubles but SR ain't one!
Old 10-28-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome back to SR, Saddler.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Saddler
Old 10-28-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Sadler... Phew, that is a hell of a lot to go through but you have made the right decision to get back here. The start of a new & happy journey we hopes.. Wishing you well..
Old 10-28-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome back!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!
Old 10-28-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Saddler. Glad you are coming here for support in a most difficult time, and you are absolutely spot on in knowing that staying sober will be of great benefit to you.

It's impossible to know the entire story of course, but to me it sounds as if you've also made a smart choice to simply cut yourself off from your ex as much as you possibly can. It seems as though she's a very toxic person, and you and your children will most likely be much better off with her out of your life for the immediate future.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Sadler!
Old 10-28-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Saddler, welcome <back>
I do know that not drinking is one very positive step that I can take, so I’m going to be around SR for some time to come.
I look forward to seeing you around. As you know, there's lots of support here, and with what you're going through, it sounds as if you could use a little.

-Stay strong-
Old 10-28-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 10-28-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Sadler. Good to meet you.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to see you again Saddler. You're in good company.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If you feel like you've tried everything, try a nutritional approach. Imbalanced brain chemistry is linked to addiction and relapse and can often be cured through nutritional means. Make sure you are getting enough magnesium, B6, B12, folate, niacin, and protein. Also, avoid inflammation causing foods like wheat, dairy and sugar. they actually promote addiction related reward- seeking behavior. A good multivitamin should be able to correct most nutritional gaps.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome back, saddler. We are here for you.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Saddler

Personally I think no matter how good our recovery is there are situations and people who will make us unhappy.

I have an ex with a raft of mental health issues she will not do anything about. It was all a little codependent, too.

Drunk or sober that relationship made me unhappy.

These days I try to keep my side of the street as clean as I can, and not drink.

D