Notices

New Here

Old 10-24-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New Here

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone here. I'm an alcoholic, have been for many years now. I'm in my mid thirties, and I still have a pretty good life - a great fiance and two beautiful children, a great job, and everything I could really ask for. Except for the fact that I am an alcoholic. I've come to realize my brain is differently wired from the other 90%. I can't "take it or leave it" when it comes to alcohol.

I have been obsessing over it for the past 15 years. I can't have one or two beer, I just don't have the chemical makeup and body chemistry to be able to do that. So I have to stop, before I lose everything. I have made some incredibly terrible decisions over the past 15 years, all as a result of drinking alcohol. I have put myself in very dangerous situations and somehow avoided doing irreversible damage to myself and others. I've driven drunk so many times, I've lost count. I can't even explain all the things I've done. I took some online tests where they ask "Am I an Alcoholic?". Like the Michigan test amongst others. One where if you score 5 points or above, you are considered an alcoholic (some people have argued that it should be 7 points or above). I don't need to worry myself over that argument, because I scored 30! Crazy. How am I still alive? How do I still have people in my life who care about me? How do I still have a job, a house, and some (not much) money in the bank? It's truly a miracle. But I know it won't last. Because alcoholism is progressive, and it has been getting worse. I don't want to drink my life away. I don't want to miss my kids growing up right before my eyes.

I am officially a non-drinker. I love this place, so much support and fantastic stories. I gain strength from not only the success stories, but the falls too. I wish you all the best and I look forward to posting on here more often.

Have a great day all.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcom to sr sober samuri
Old 10-24-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey SoberSamurai, welcome! You've found a great forum for support.
So I have to stop, before I lose everything.
It's great that you can recognize this and have taken steps to correct things.

I, too, feel as if I'm not 'wired' like most other people when it comes to alcohol either, as many, if not most, other people in here. Hence, we find ourselves in this battle. However it is a battle worth fighting, and I hope to see you around in here often.

Welcome to the team!
Old 10-24-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberSamurai View Post
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself to everyone here. I'm an alcoholic, have been for many years now. I'm in my mid thirties, and I still have a pretty good life - a great fiance and two beautiful children, a great job, and everything I could really ask for. Except for the fact that I am an alcoholic. I've come to realize my brain is differently wired from the other 90%. I can't "take it or leave it" when it comes to alcohol.

I have been obsessing over it for the past 15 years. I can't have one or two beer, I just don't have the chemical makeup and body chemistry to be able to do that. So I have to stop, before I lose everything. I have made some incredibly terrible decisions over the past 15 years, all as a result of drinking alcohol. I have put myself in very dangerous situations and somehow avoided doing irreversible damage to myself and others. I've driven drunk so many times, I've lost count. I can't even explain all the things I've done. I took some online tests where they ask "Am I an Alcoholic?". Like the Michigan test amongst others. One where if you score 5 points or above, you are considered an alcoholic (some people have argued that it should be 7 points or above). I don't need to worry myself over that argument, because I scored 30! Crazy. How am I still alive? How do I still have people in my life who care about me? How do I still have a job, a house, and some (not much) money in the bank? It's truly a miracle. But I know it won't last. Because alcoholism is progressive, and it has been getting worse. I don't want to drink my life away. I don't want to miss my kids growing up right before my eyes.

I am officially a non-drinker. I love this place, so much support and fantastic stories. I gain strength from not only the success stories, but the falls too. I wish you all the best and I look forward to posting on here more often.

Have a great day all.
Welcome. Great outlook you have
Old 10-24-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys
Old 10-24-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR, Samurai!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome! You'll find lots of support here. Glad you've joined us.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! Great to have you onboard!!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Samurai Welcome!
Old 10-24-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Magsie

Welcome to the forum, Samurai.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Always good to meet a fellow warrior! Welcome
Old 10-24-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You're in good company here.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

welcome, and good luck we all need it
Old 10-24-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
learning to live

Welcome Sober, I saw ya in the weekend thread and look forward to getting to know you.

You CAN stop drinking! It starts with a desire and you definitely have that according to the post above

Welcome to the sober side of things. Its a lot better on this side
Old 10-24-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Ya, I pretty much score off the scale on all those online "Am I an alcoholic?" tests. I didn't get help until I lost everything. Wise choice in reaching out for some support. Welcome to the site.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

D
Old 10-24-2014, 04:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you SoberSamurai. SR definitely helped give me my life back. Glad you are here.