Notices

Scared!!!

Old 10-23-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Remember, it is up to you for your destiny. I hope this will renew your passion for sobriety.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am glad you are feeling better and that you had a good meeting earlier.
I relapsed after 5 years and I was "out" for 6. I have now over 21 months sober.
I am in AA and yes, I am probably a little nutty but I draw the line at chasing after newcomers screaming that they will die while waving a big book ( sorry for the poster to whom it happened but the visual had me laughing my head off).
Seriously, if i can do it, so can you.
Do not give up on yourself and next time your AV tries to use some stupid thing an AA member said as an excuse to drink, tell it to F... off. There are idiots everywhere, in and out of the rooms of AA. If I picked up a drink every time I hear someone saying something stupid, I would probably be lit every day.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Her answer was: "VERY FEW and it's gonna be REALLY HARD!"
Serenidad, IMO, it's not a good idea to take any single person's opinion at face value.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

G'day SD

I relapsed at two years... I was running the "step one and third tradition " method and making about 7-10 meetings a week.

That method was highly recommended to me by guys at my first home group.

(meeting makers make it... Some do, I didn't)

I drank for another 4 Years.

This time around its sponsor (a tough one, I need that) and steps and two meetings a week.

I have to report that the steps frightened me for two years first time round but now that I am actually doing them....... It is like kissing a kitten by comparison to "meetings meetings meetings " and hoping it'll somehow "wash over me"

Hope that helps
Old 10-24-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope2014 View Post
Never. Give. Up. That was nasty of that woman to say to you. YOU know that you can do it because you've done it before. Make tomorrow day 1 and keep moving forward.
Thanks Hope! I won't give up!!! Never!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 10-24-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I got a bit derailed too by how someone spoke to me. I almost feel like an open wound for people to pour salt into. Like this woman who spoke to you in a less than helpful way. We MUST consider the source and move on, right? We can do this!!
Old 10-24-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I have to believe that a long period of sobriety has to be helpful to you, Serenidad. I quit drinking a little over a year ago, after drinking for 27 years starting at the age of 15. I had no idea what sobriety even looked or felt like. I wasn't really sure sobriety was something worth wanting, because I had no adult experience with sobriety. Now I truly know how valuable it is and how much better life is as a sober person. So, if I were to fall off the wagon, I would understand much better what I had given up, losing my sobriety. To me, that knowledge has to be powerful to you and me and me and people like us. It makes the goal a little easier to fathom?!? Further, when I was first getting sober, I thought of people who I knew, such as my great grandmother, who quit drinking without the help of AA, books, off-line support, family support, etc. She dug deep and I knew if she could do it, I could do it. Focus on the positives and the goal. You can do this!! You have already proven it to yourself!
Thanks so much Double Dragons! Congrats on your sobriety! That's great! And it IS such a better way to live. Much much better. Better than your wildest dreams!

Why did I drink again? I made a conscious decision to have a beer at dinner with my husband one year ago today! 10/24/13. I don't think I every really truly believed I was truly an alcoholic during that 5.5 years. I stopped drinking for everyone but me. So....I tried it again...the "experiment" failed....now I KNOW I am an alcoholic and have accepted it. It is what it is. There is a solution and you're right....I know the happiness that lies ahead in sobriety. Thx for the kind words! :-)

Old 10-24-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberBeast View Post
It isn't over for you until you give up on yourself. We are human, and will make mistakes from time to time. Best thing to do is brush off the slip up, and saddle up for tomorrow.
Great idea!!! :-)

Old 10-24-2014, 07:50 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I am glad you are feeling better and that you had a good meeting earlier. I relapsed after 5 years and I was "out" for 6. I have now over 21 months sober. I am in AA and yes, I am probably a little nutty but I draw the line at chasing after newcomers screaming that they will die while waving a big book ( sorry for the poster to whom it happened but the visual had me laughing my head off). Seriously, if i can do it, so can you. Do not give up on yourself and next time your AV tries to use some stupid thing an AA member said as an excuse to drink, tell it to F... off. There are idiots everywhere, in and out of the rooms of AA. If I picked up a drink every time I hear someone saying something stupid, I would probably be lit every day.
Haha Charlotta! Love your post! Made me laugh! (The big book waving crazy lady!) AND yes! Lots and lots of crazy people out there. It's strange...the more sobriety I had during that 5.5 years the less they bothered me though. I think it's all about acceptance. Keep up the great work!!!

Old 10-24-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
I got a bit derailed too by how someone spoke to me. I almost feel like an open wound for people to pour salt into. Like this woman who spoke to you in a less than helpful way. We MUST consider the source and move on, right? We can do this!!
Thanks Art! I'm learning what kind of person I NEVER want to be in AA from some of these people. I guess I am starting to realize that just because someone hasn't had a drink in 10, 20, 30 years doesn't mean they are sane or healthy.

One of my biggest pet peeves about some people in AA (and even when I had 5.5 years this bothered me) is some people with a lot of sober time think they are better than other people. Some act like they rule the roost! Hate that! It scares newcomers away. I will NEVER act like that...even if I have 50 years of sobriety someday! People with ALOT of sober time are no better than people with 24 hours! It's a daily reprieve. Heck...last night I heard about a guy that relapsed after 30 years! I pray to always remain humble! Xo

Old 10-24-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

You make a good point. Sobriety does not equal "nice" or "sane". If they were nasty before they drank, and while drinking, they are gonna be that way in sobriety.

I also think that the reason some AA people act superior to others is that they are not secure with their own sobriety. It is a defense mechanism that allays their own anxiety and fear. Being rigid acts like a buffer for them. It's their circus and their monkeys, not yours. LOL!
Old 10-24-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
You make a good point. Sobriety does not equal "nice" or "sane". If they were nasty before they drank, and while drinking, they are gonna be that way in sobriety. I also think that the reason some AA people act superior to others is that they are not secure with their own sobriety. It is a defense mechanism that allays their own anxiety and fear. Being rigid acts like a buffer for them. It's their circus and their monkeys, not yours. LOL!
Great point Art! If your gonna be a miserable mean old grouch in sobriety, why get sober? Oh well...they don't have what I want so I will just ignore them and focus on myself. :-)

Old 10-24-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I am in AA and yes, I am probably a little nutty......
geez, talk about understating... a little nutty??You_Rock_

gladd ya went to a meeting!!!

I recall reading something about them relapses possibly being helpful, but don't recall where I read it.
my past is a very valuable possession I have. it reminds me of what didn't work, what does, what could come back if I drink and listening at meetings reminds me theres more gloom, despair, and misery I haven't experienced.....
yet.
but Im not letting it happen...
today.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:44 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

If you were told "very few acheive long term sobriety" at the begining of your six year run- would you have chosen not to try?

Regardless of group affiliation we'll all interact with folks who uplift us- and those who don't. Lessons can be found in both groups of people.

Data and statistics do not account for one's heart, spirit, and will. Drinking proves this individual right. Seems to me that's not your intention.

Consider turning the message into positive motivation- and become the guy who several years from now will inspire those who have suffered a relapse after long term sobriety- that another long-term run is possible, probable, and worth it.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ultramarathoner View Post
If you were told "very few acheive long term sobriety" at the begining of your six year run- would you have chosen not to try? Regardless of group affiliation we'll all interact with folks who uplift us- and those who don't. Lessons can be found in both groups of people. Data and statistics do not account for one's heart, spirit, and will. Drinking proves this individual right. Seems to me that's not your intention. Consider turning the message into positive motivation- and become the guy who several years from now will inspire those who have suffered a relapse after long term sobriety- that another long-term run is possible, probable, and worth it.
I will ultra! I'll be the GIRL who does it...not the guy. Haha ;-)

Old 10-24-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Whoops! I'm not always great with details. Sorry!
Old 10-24-2014, 11:54 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cecilia44 View Post
No, I wasn't really in AA. Not exactly. I have some AA friends and I adhere to many AA principles, but meetings for me consist more of on-line than anything.

It's a real long story as to why I relapsed and to make it short: It was kind of like three strikes and I was out. I had several big events happen one after another and after the third one, I said, "F*ck it!" And drank. I regret that decision.

The three events affected in major ways: Job, Home, Relationship. It was just too much at the time to handle. But alcohol didn't help "fix" any of it easier. I just flat out gave up.

Glad I don't feel like giving up anymore. It is never too late to get sober.
This is exactly why I keep AA as part of my recovery. In being physically present with others in recovery I come out of isolation, I feel the support, I offer the support, I vent my feelings, I get regular reminders. In working on steps, however slowly, I take real ACTION. In being there for others who struggle, I take myself out of my own head and world. I make connections with tangible human beings. I see them here and there around town, just seeing them gives me strength and helps keep my head in my recovery.

Action is important for me. My friend and long distance sponsor has over 25 years and he does some real, action-based effort every day. At least a meeting. Often he is sponsoring two or three people. He does 12th step work and not a single day goes by he doesn't give himself reminders on why he chose sobriety and continues to honor that choice.

I think these are the things that provide us armor and sustainable strength against relapse.

I hope you'll give AA an honest shot. I bet you'll find it has much to offer if you are willing.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Also; remember that the principles of AA tell us we are to share OUR experience, strength and hope. Sometimes, a person in AA forgets this... And generalizes their experience as what another should or should do, what someone else's experience will be.

If an old timer says something like 'this time will be a lot harder' I try to respond with 'is that how it was for you? How did you manage to do it? Have you seem others have that challenge? What worked or didn't

Bottom line is we are all different but we share the same struggle and goal, with many similar experiences. Sometimes a person in AA will forget that it's not their job to scare or suggest negative things... The more you experience AA and learn about the principles - the more you realize and recognize when someone is offering opinion versus experience. nd the more you realize that may be THEIR experience but needn't be yours
Old 10-24-2014, 01:33 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I had twenty years sober and relapsed seven years ago. I am now coming up on five years sober.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
I had twenty years sober and relapsed seven years ago. I am now coming up on five years sober.
That's awesome least! Have you ever been to AA?