Old 10-23-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

"-I have nearly daily hangovers
-my skin is starting to look like crap
- I am always tired and lack energy
-I am gaining weight
-I have pains in my side and think it is my liver
-I am suffering from incredible anxiety thinking I might be damaging my liver
--the day after drinking I wake up feeling depressed, anxious and generally emotionally unwell
-I do unsafe things when I drink and being in a foreign country I want to be more careful
-I get drunk nearly every time I drink and I'm just over it, it is time to grow up[/QUOTE]

This is my life. You couldn't have put it plainer lol.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

You can do this ML. Your story and family life sounds a lot like mine. I come from a large family of extremely heavy drinkers; Parents, grand parents (on my Mom's side), brother, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.

Some of them binge and can revert back to not drinking at will. Others of us can't and are alcoholics. Ever since I can remember, our social gatherings revolved around drinking... and still do.

The only difference is now I don't drink.

You can do this, but you have to make a plan and stick to it. It took me admitting my problem to the family before I could move on. Most still drink, but now I don't feel the anxiety of needing / wanting to join in.

I was diagnosed with Fatty Liver Disease about 6 years ago. That's when I switched from hard liquor to beer and wine; thinking that was much better for my liver, lol!

Fast forward to today, just got blood work back couple weeks ago and everything is healthy and all clear. No more Fatty Liver, elevated enzymes, high blood pressure, etc.

My point is, our bodies are very resilient. Chances are you can reverse any damage that has been done. You just have to keep from drinking.

Great job on staying sober.

Best of luck!!
Old 10-23-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Thanks for the information. I've been so worried that i've genuinely mashed my liver already and i'm only 24. I would deserve it the way i have been drinking the last 5 years. But fingers crossed it's not too late to undo it. I feel really determined right now. I hope it keeps up xx
Old 10-23-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by messyliver View Post
I've been 3 years trying to "cut back" to a normal drinker but i think it's finally hitting home that it's not possible for me. I've always been an all or nothing person. I think it really does have to be nothing.
This is me, as well. All or none. I envy those lucky bastards that can drink 2 and be done.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

It's crazy isn't it? I've been out with some 'normal drinking' friends before now where i swear i'm not drinking, they talk me into sharing a bottle of wine betweeen 3 of us, they go home and go to bed and 48 hours later i'm in some random house party off my face. I just don't know how it happens! x
Old 10-23-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Once sober, I learned that the onlything that can make me happy is me. Placing the burden of happiness on others was the cause of my alcoholism. This realization has set me free to be, and to do what makes me happy.

When I tell people I don't drink, thank you....I'm happy and how they feel is part of them, not part of me.

I can't control how other people feel, I tried, I failed, I drank.