Notices

Brother killed himself

Old 10-19-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  

Tom, My deepest sympathy to you and your family. My brother died of suicide in April. I stay close to my family, even if we live in 2 different states . And, for myself I continue my meetings and staying close to my AA Family. Hugs to you, you have so much love here on SR.
Bobbi
Old 10-19-2014, 07:25 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Thomas.....can you talk about your brother? can you let us know what he liked to do? what he was like as a litttle boy? what your mother loved most? I'd like to know about him a bit. HE was a living breathing human being, he deserves our respect...and if we didn't know him in life, I want to know him now. Every life is worthy. Please tell me if you are able.
Old 10-19-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Thomas, so very sorry. I can't imagine. Strength and deepest sympathies to you.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear this Thomas. I lost my dad last april, He gave up the will to live after my Mother, Then his new wife passed away. It's very hard losing a parent, But I cannot imagine how hard it must be losing a sibling.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:37 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Im very sorry for your loss Thomas.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:41 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss. Hang in there tom
Old 10-20-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Sorry for your loss Tom. Can't imagine what you must be going through.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:29 AM
  # 108 (permalink)  

My heart goes out to you Thomas, I am sorry for your loss.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 109 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss, Thomas. My brother is probably my closest friend on this planet, can't imagine him not being there for me. You are right- it was the disease, nothing you did. You are also wise to honor him by staying sober, even though I know it will be painful.

Wishing you well, Tom, and thinking of your brother.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 110 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry, Thomas. I am sending good thoughts to you and your family.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss. Praying for you and your family.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Please remember that you are among friends here on SR. Prayers and thoughts with you and your family.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  

I am so very sorry. He must have been in immeasurable pain to do what he did. Sending much love and healing thoughts your way. xoxo
Old 10-20-2014, 08:16 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
EndGame

A friend of mine, someone who drank around the clock as I did, killed himself about twenty years ago because he simply could not stop. Like me, he'd lost everything important in his life...relationships, family, home, job, dignity. I was sober for several years at the time, and a part of me often believed that this is where his drinking would take him. I was only partly surprised when I got "the call."

He got himself into detox, and I happened to run into him the day he was discharged. He was euphoric, manic, really, and my fears that he would take his life became more intense as a result. He told me that he was taking a trip to the Bahamas, and I implored him to call me once he got there. I never heard from him again.

I don't know what to say about your brother, or in any instance when one of us makes the ultimate sacrifice in response to our drinking and to our psychiatric issues. I can't know whether or not he's in a "better place," though my heart brings me to this kind of thinking.

My only suggestion is that you keep yourself safe, be gentle with yourself, and take to heart that there is a better way for you.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ESD907 View Post
Thomas.....can you talk about your brother? can you let us know what he liked to do? what he was like as a litttle boy? what your mother loved most? I'd like to know about him a bit. HE was a living breathing human being, he deserves our respect...and if we didn't know him in life, I want to know him now. Every life is worthy. Please tell me if you are able.
My brother was the most fun person I've ever met. He could make you forget, momentarily, that you're an adult with responsibilities and maybe kids and a mortgage and all that stuff, and just enjoy life for right now. He wasn't content wasting away watching TV all day, he'd push you, in the nicest way possible, to seize the day. You'd end up camping out in the middle of the country when you only meant to meet up for a coffee. Led into adventure by this madman.

He was always talented. He was smarter and more charismatic than me. I don't say that putting myself down. He was smarter than most. Most people would have allowed these abilities to make them arrogant. Instead he gave others confidence. If you were at school and had no friends he would use his popularity to get you friends, starting with him.

He seemed to have boundless energy, but it was never destructive. He seemed to see life in a magical way that when you spent enough time with him, you felt you could catch a glimpse of. I'd have loved to see the world through his eyes for a day.

We both had a tough childhood, but he took the worst of it. He protected me and suffered for it, and never let me know what he'd endured until many, many years later. He went through things that nobody should, but it didn't let it change how he was with other people. He took it all inside. I think that's what damaged him, but it's also what made him special. He endured so others didn't have to.

He was always like that, he didn't really value money. When he earned a lot of money he kept his crappy old car with the logic "Why do I want a car to go 200mph? They won't let me drive that fast. Why am I paying for a function that I can never use?". Instead he gave most of his money away, I can't be sure how much, he wouldn't be the type to tell. But he always had a ton of letters from charities he was supporting.

He was spiritual but not religious. He just believed there had to be something else for this strange thing we called life to be real. I think that's what drove him, a belief that every day was a gift.

All this joy hid the depression which ate away at him. It's hard to understand how someone who brings that much joy can have so much sadness deep down.

People think it was the traumas he'd suffered as a kid, but I think it was more than that. All his life, he seemed to experience everything, good and bad, with much greater clarity than anybody else. It was like he was the only one seeing things in colour. He'd watch documentaries with absolute focus, then find out how he could help.

I think the world was too bad for someone that good to cope with.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

That is a beautiful and poignant memorial for your precious brother, Thomas. Thank you for sharing that.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  
waking down

It sounds like your brother was gifted. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

However, you Thomas, are the inspiration here. You are processing, taking care of yourself, avoiding alcohol and the drunken grieving scenes, grieving wth more clarity than anyone would expect, and focusing mostly on positive memories. This is all good. I sense a strong and solid character behind your words. Thank you.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post
My brother was the most fun person I've ever met. He could make you forget, momentarily, that you're an adult with responsibilities and maybe kids and a mortgage and all that stuff, and just enjoy life for right now. He wasn't content wasting away watching TV all day, he'd push you, in the nicest way possible, to seize the day. You'd end up camping out in the middle of the country when you only meant to meet up for a coffee. Led into adventure by this madman.

He was always talented. He was smarter and more charismatic than me. I don't say that putting myself down. He was smarter than most. Most people would have allowed these abilities to make them arrogant. Instead he gave others confidence. If you were at school and had no friends he would use his popularity to get you friends, starting with him.

He seemed to have boundless energy, but it was never destructive. He seemed to see life in a magical way that when you spent enough time with him, you felt you could catch a glimpse of. I'd have loved to see the world through his eyes for a day.

We both had a tough childhood, but he took the worst of it. He protected me and suffered for it, and never let me know what he'd endured until many, many years later. He went through things that nobody should, but it didn't let it change how he was with other people. He took it all inside. I think that's what damaged him, but it's also what made him special. He endured so others didn't have to.

He was always like that, he didn't really value money. When he earned a lot of money he kept his crappy old car with the logic "Why do I want a car to go 200mph? They won't let me drive that fast. Why am I paying for a function that I can never use?". Instead he gave most of his money away, I can't be sure how much, he wouldn't be the type to tell. But he always had a ton of letters from charities he was supporting.

He was spiritual but not religious. He just believed there had to be something else for this strange thing we called life to be real. I think that's what drove him, a belief that every day was a gift.

All this joy hid the depression which ate away at him. It's hard to understand how someone who brings that much joy can have so much sadness deep down.

People think it was the traumas he'd suffered as a kid, but I think it was more than that. All his life, he seemed to experience everything, good and bad, with much greater clarity than anybody else. It was like he was the only one seeing things in colour. He'd watch documentaries with absolute focus, then find out how he could help.

I think the world was too bad for someone that good to cope with.
Such a beautiful post about your brother. Thank you for sharing that. I am so sorry for your loss. Hoping you find strength and comfort in the happy memories you have of him. xoxoxo
Old 10-20-2014, 10:53 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hang in there.