Notices

Attending a Wedding Today

Old 10-18-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Great that you made it through sober!

Watch out for a delayed reaction relapse. I have seen many make it through the event only to drink a day to a week later
Old 10-18-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Well done for surviving !
Old 10-18-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by goose333 View Post

She told me we don't have any more weddings on the horizon, so no worries. Although, she did count out all the possibilities that may be in our future. Right now, I think I would stay home for those.
might be a good idea
I'm at a point in time now where
if I truly don't want to go somewhere
it might just be best for me to stay home

I'm coming up on 7 years sober next week
and my sobriety is still ranked #1 on my list

MM
Old 10-18-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
EndGame

A job well done.

There have been a few people since I've been here who've commented that they're going to a wedding, a party, or some other social event who were never heard from again.

It might help in early sobriety, and in life generally, to imagine beforehand what you may be able to contribute to each new event, rather than preoccupy yourself with what you can't do.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Great that you made it through sober!

Watch out for a delayed reaction relapse. I have seen many make it through the event only to drink a day to a week later
Could MIRecovery or someone else please explain what this delayed reaction relapse is. I am not familiar with it and would appreciate if someone could shed a light on this. I have a Halloween party coming up in 2 weeks and not sure if I should go. I think it will be too much for me to go there and stay sober while being around people that drink.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I have seen many people who make it through a drinking situation only to relapse a few days later. I have now personally seen enough times to know it is a real thing. I think somehow our defenses are weakened and as soon as we are not 100% on guard our AV voice comes roaring back with a vengeance and we are unprepared.

I find that when I am in drinking situations even now I will feel a bit off for a day or two. I think this is just a milder form of the same thing
Old 10-18-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

It's gets better being sober at social events believe me now I feel smug and cool that I am not drinking , going home sober with zero regret is worth it's weight in gold .
Old 10-18-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by margherita View Post
Could MIRecovery or someone else please explain what this delayed reaction relapse is. I am not familiar with it and would appreciate if someone could shed a light on this. I have a Halloween party coming up in 2 weeks and not sure if I should go. I think it will be too much for me to go there and stay sober while being around people that drink.
I can only speak for myself but the stupidest thing I did in recovery was going to a Halloween party when I had been sober for 3 months. I did not drink but the night was a disaster
Old 10-18-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I think the only reason people drink huge amounts at weddings is because they are actually so dull without booze.
I don't mind ones just in the evening but all day one's drive me up the wall.

I've been to weddings where I have sat in the toilet for half an hour and read SR and facebook because I have been so bored.

You did great and yep I would watch out for the delayed relapse too xx
Old 10-22-2014, 08:47 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

The last time I attended a wedding was the last time I drank and it was a total disaster for me: started drinking the champagne @ the reception, after the actual marriage ceremony. Was half cut after the wedding breakfast, had to go back to our room to walk my dog. Husband said "don't drink any more, your already pissed" bla!

Got changed for the evening, went back to the wedding where they had by now cleared the tables for the dance floor. To summarize: don't remember going home ie back to hotel, insulted husband & daughter, threw precious handbag onto the gravel, crashed out on bed so couldn't take my doggie out for walk. Awoke the next day feeling utterly dreadful. Felt so unwell couldn't make breakfast to reunite with family. Had bollocking from husband, felt like death all day & beyond. Anything, even a boring night, has got to be better than all of that!!!