Notices

Temptation Season Primer - Weekender Thread Oct 17-19

Old 10-18-2014, 03:15 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Awesome read as always guys! Day 16 here and feeling awesome! Used my Sodastream this morning and rang up Vodafone and they have just cut my bill by 80% and given me a free handset! Things are looking up! Let's all keep going!
Old 10-18-2014, 03:22 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Let's have a little mellow morning music

Old 10-18-2014, 03:29 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Up early here....being a taxi!
hopefully will get sometime to myself later. ?..
Old 10-18-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Good morning all. Starting off with nice cup of coffee before sunrise. Have a few chores to do outside because have guests coming this afternoon. Weather is perfect, so should be fun. I'm having a few thoughts of drinking because of guests coming etc....but seems manageable. Will check in here often.
For now, off to the gym.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:36 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

undecided. cheerios with blueberries or bacon and eggs...

Old 10-18-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

You just decided me. Bacon and eggs.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:50 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  

6:34 AM - lots of tossing and turning in an unfamiliar bed at the retreat center. Can't lay down any more. Hungry. Breakfast not till 8. People in the dining room talking too loud. I'm not ready to have my own thoughts interrupted by strangers yet today. Shhh. Just because I'm walking around doesn't mean I'm awake yet. I need a little picket sign to hold up when someone tries to engage in a conversation with me:

image-2954308605.jpg
Old 10-18-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Maven, all I've ever needed was "the look". People back away slowly.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:35 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Maven, know what you mean. Just because I'm vertical doesn't mean I'm ready to think or speak yet.

Good morning! Gilmer, an onslaught of ladies sounds formidable. Good luck! Buggirl, what a great thing to get your phone bill slashed. And a new handset too!

Kids running around and loud. Gaggle of girls. I'm sipping coffee and trying to wake up. Husband running to mcdonalds to buy breakfast. Can't cook anything. I'm hoping the stove is functioning this time next week. That said, I am horribly bad about eating when I'm home anyway. I just don't do it. Which is bad.

I am getting my mindset ready to hit ikea. I'm looking forward to eating in their cafeteria. Everyone talking about gourmet meals on here and I want meatballs, mashed and lingonberry sauce. Last major onslaught for kitchen. Once that cabinet is in I will work on the little things. A dear friend from school is going with me but we are stopping at an estate sale on the way. She is well aware that I am an alcoholic and I can say it's great to have support from the "normal" people in my life too. No pressure to drink. Going out for coffee is fine.

It's so loud here I can't think at the moment. Talk to you later.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

At the rate I'm going, it'd be Cheerios, blueberries, bacon, AND eggs for me. With chocolate sprinkles.

Good morning all!
Old 10-18-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Ooooohhhh, that was good. Was it good for you, too? Bacon, easy over eggs on sourdough toast, coffee. Oooooohhhhh.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:53 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Bacon and eggs, with potatoes and onions. COFFEE.

I cannot tell a lie. I did cut down that cherry tree yesterday. Wife found out about it this morning. "DON'T TOUCH MY TREES!" Too late. If it was a dwarf tree like the label said It wouldn't be 10' tall after cutting it back twice already and the trunk wouldn't be heading for six inches. It never produced cherries anyway. Just robins.

And why do drapes and curtains cost so much. Dilemma - buy a sewing machine or have custom made draperies. Anyone ever sew their own curtains? An old girlfriend has my sewing machine. It was a good one too.

My help has arrived. Time to dig up a cherry tree stump and move some dirt...
Old 10-18-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Well, I did own a home decor business. We made lot's of window treatments. Simple stuff is easy to make at home and a basic sewing machine is $100. Fancy usually needs a big table, or open floor space.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Petals - you drive a taxi? That's cool. I always thought that would be fun, meeting people from all walks of life and never really knowing where you'll drive to next. I suppose it's not that exciting all the time but then again no jobs are as exciting as they sound!

Snowdog - awesome work man! That is exactly the kind of thing I used to struggle with early on. Then I would beat myself up for NOT going, so either way I'd be miserable. Trust me, you are doing the right thing! Good for you man.

Ruby - glad to hear you're getting some time away from the kids and fam. Shopping alone, hey that sounds liberating! As for regrets: I hear you. I was off to a great start in my early life but when I got to college I totally blew it. There are so many opportunities I had that were squandered. But, like you said, you just have to look at where you are and be happy with that.

You have a big 5-0 coming up and that significance probably gets you thinking more about what you've accomplished. Much like you, I have the big 4-0 coming here in 5 months so I will also ponder more as that date approaches. I think that if those thoughts become depressing, or negative, I will just think: "eh, it's just another Tuesday" and move on! The universe doesn't know you're 50, it's just spinning around and doing it's physics - and what an incredible universe it is! We're lucky to be a part of it, eh?

Slept in today until almost 7am. Have a nice fresh cup of coffee in hand and I'm going to take my time and watch some EPL soccer this morning before heading to el mercado. Chat later folks!
Old 10-18-2014, 06:41 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Old 10-18-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Coming through, coming through... Woman in need! Save me a seat in the back, cover me with a blanket and let me sob there quietly. Very much in need of this thread. The stressful season has kicked off for me here. I am so overwhelmed I don't know where to start first. My weekends are spent running around, my list of things to do it so great I don't know which task to pick up first. Mind races even during the night and I wake up exhausted. UGH. Had a very strong craving on Friday. Pushed through but it terrified me. I feel I have NO TIME for anything and I just want to escape all the running around and all responsibilities and decisions. Excuse me while I go scream in the pillow.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear it melki - that's the worst. Pretty easy to get wound up and consumed by responsibilities and decisions. Ugh. What's up?
Old 10-18-2014, 10:28 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Aw melki I feel the same...we cud hide together. X
Old 10-18-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Sorry bigsombrero im not being very clear.... just taking kids everywhere and back and out and back etc. At least a real taxi gets paid. X
Old 10-18-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!!

My first Saturday evening in for weeks, no ice hockey games to attend unfortunately, but sometimes a night in is good for recharging the batteries, I have a chili con carne bubbling in the kitchen, gonna be fantastic later on!!

I'm currently trying to figure out what TV shows to tune in to later on, there doesn't seem to be much on except reality TV shows, so might have to break out a few movies and then check out the NHL later on tonight.

I think we still have a few seats (and blankets) for anyone needing a lift up this Weekend, plenty of support here to lean on that can make all the difference!!

Let's keep it Sober Weekenders!!