Notices

What are your tools?

Old 10-13-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
People talk about using tools as part of a recovery plan. What does that mean to you guys, and what kinds of things do you consider to be your tools?
My brain, and my ability to learn how to utilize the incredible organ that the human brain is.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Cognitive thinking is at the top of my list. As an introvert it seems like I'm always inside my head. I can analyze, overthink, stress and worry myself into a deep dark depression that can last for days. My self talk can be brutal. It's a constant struggle to stay on top.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

For me it is my vision of myself, someone who always acts morally. Drinking for me has become an immoral act after my experiences with it. Because of this, I won't ever drink again.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

my tool is my memory of all the times I did and said ridiculous things and how crazy I was by the end of my drinking. So far it's worked.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Great answers, you guys rock! I've written up a nice long list of things I'm going to try. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

My tools: SR and my October 2013 thread on SR (at the very least, I check in there daily); my sobriety journal where I keep quotes from SR and alcoholism books and codependence books that make a lot of sense to me, I also keep my good-bye letter to alcohol in that journal and a list of my most shameful, embarrassing, scary, dangerous things that I did while under the influence of alcohol; the book Kick the Drink Easily by Jason Vale (I love his logical approach to alcoholism and why it is really ridiculous for anyone to put poisonous ethanol into his body); yoga and meditation; good habits as far as my health is concerned: eating right, getting enough sleep, exercising, doing pleasurable things for myself, being aware of my "people pleasing" tendencies and remembering to keep myself in the equation, all codependence books by Melody Beattie
Old 10-13-2014, 07:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
People talk about using tools as part of a recovery plan. What does that mean to you guys, and what kinds of things do you consider to be your tools?
I've tried every tool known to man and the only thing that ever worked (((for me))) was AA. Best of luck! Xo

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery