Notices

What are your tools?

Old 10-12-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

What are your tools?

People talk about using tools as part of a recovery plan. What does that mean to you guys, and what kinds of things do you consider to be your tools?
Old 10-12-2014, 09:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Failure Is Not An Option

My most powerful tool is remembering the despair.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

A white flag (for surrender) and a jackhammer (for moral cleansing).
Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

-Checking in here every day.
-Trying to respond to five posts a day to keep me focused and maybe even help others.
-Rereading old threads I find helpful. My favorite is "Is Two Bottles of Wine a Lot?"
-Taking time to think every day about the positives to come: career goals, losing weight, getting fit.

This is my big one: my only goal today is to NOT DRINK. I go to work of course, normal things but if I can get through today sober, I won't worry about the Big Mac I ate, the large Pepsi I drank, skipping the gym, my messy car, anything.

In early sobriety all of my tools and strength have to be focused on not drinking.

I can become a health-guru-no-sugar-no-coffee-yoga-freak-Suze-Orman-with-my-finances-Jillian-Michaels-with-my-fitness-paleo-diet-clean-freak next week.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

DETERMINATION.
AA and SR.
Exercise.
MUSIC and lots of it!
Old 10-12-2014, 09:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In the beginning (and many still) for me:
  • AA
  • The 12 Steps
  • The Bigbook
  • Calling someone
  • Staying away from people, places, and things that might have made me want to drink.
  • Prayer
  • Meditation
  • Counseling
  • Deep breathing relaxation exercises
  • Physical exercise
  • Reading positive material
  • Writing journals
  • Thinking a drink through (imagining in detail exactly what I think would happen should I drink, right up until the next morning)
  • Doing service work of some sort (in AA or elsewhere)
  • Being as honest, open minded, and willing as I can possibly be
There are lots, lots more. I topped the list with AA because I felt every meeting I went to, I gathered more tools. I feel that getting sober can be as easy, or as difficult as we want it to be. Use no tools, and it's going to be a really rough ride. Use them all, and well... I used them all. I'm entering my 4th decade of sobriety.

There's a great book called Living Sober, that's full of tools for staying away from the first drink. I think it's an invaluable resource for any newcomer. Easy reading, and doesn't push AA nor God. Just a lot of practical advice. Easy reading, too.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Good question.

To my way of thinking, there are two types of tools. Broadly speaking, you can put them into two categories. Proactive and reactive.

Reactive tools are for those times you want to drink. They involve the actions that you take in the moment. These can be things like urge surfing, calling someone, engaging in some form of activity in order to distract yourself from the craving, going to an AA meeting (assuming one is immediately available) or recognizing the addictive voice and remembering the big plan etc. It involves putting a plan into action.

Proactive tools are doing things before the actual cravings hit, or involve avoiding the craving altogether. These might include getting involved in a support group (like AA or Smart recovery) or learning about a specific method such as AVRT. Proactive tools can also involve learning about specific ways to deal with cravings (like urge surfing) before they are present. Proactive tools often involve understanding the mechanisms by which urges manifest themselves, for example learning about triggers. Again proactive tools involve doing things to prepare for difficult situations that might put you at risk for picking up.

Fortunately there are many wrenches for just about every nut, but regardless of the specific tool, they require ACTION.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I value my dignity more than a drink.

How do I know this ?

Would I get absolutely stark naked and walk into a bar or a bottle shop ?

No way !!!!

therefore ... I value my dignity more than a drink.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Wow! There are some powerful responses here.

My sober toolkit:
ipad
Coffee
Chocolate
Seltzer
Bed
Nikes
Earbuds
Old 10-13-2014, 05:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
In the beginning (and many still) for me:
  • AA
  • The 12 Steps
  • The Bigbook
  • Calling someone
  • Staying away from people, places, and things that might have made me want to drink.
  • Prayer
  • Meditation
  • Counseling
  • Deep breathing relaxation exercises
  • Physical exercise
  • Reading positive material
  • Writing journals
  • Thinking a drink through (imagining in detail exactly what I think would happen should I drink, right up until the next morning)
  • Doing service work of some sort (in AA or elsewhere)
  • Being as honest, open minded, and willing as I can possibly be
There are lots, lots more. I topped the list with AA because I felt every meeting I went to, I gathered more tools. I feel that getting sober can be as easy, or as difficult as we want it to be. Use no tools, and it's going to be a really rough ride. Use them all, and well... I used them all. I'm entering my 4th decade of sobriety.

There's a great book called Living Sober, that's full of tools for staying away from the first drink. I think it's an invaluable resource for any newcomer. Easy reading, and doesn't push AA nor God. Just a lot of practical advice. Easy reading, too.

Ditto.
I’ll add Acceptance of the fact we cannot drink in safety and the one most don’t like which is a much needed one also in my view, CHANGE. This can include much of what Joe posted even if we don’t like it, it’s part of our medicine.

BE WELL
Old 10-13-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Learning about what an addiction is/does and how my brain works so that I can separate ME from IT.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
-Checking in here every day.
-Trying to respond to five posts a day to keep me focused and maybe even help others.
-Rereading old threads I find helpful. My favorite is "Is Two Bottles of Wine a Lot?"
-Taking time to think every day about the positives to come: career goals, losing weight, getting fit.

This is my big one: my only goal today is to NOT DRINK. I go to work of course, normal things but if I can get through today sober, I won't worry about the Big Mac I ate, the large Pepsi I drank, skipping the gym, my messy car, anything.

In early sobriety all of my tools and strength have to be focused on not drinking.

I can become a health-guru-no-sugar-no-coffee-yoga-freak-Suze-Orman-with-my-finances-Jillian-Michaels-with-my-fitness-paleo-diet-clean-freak next week.
I love this. All of it.

Earlier & unsuccessful attempts for me had me trying to change EVERYTHING at once. I think one of my most powerful tools this time (my most successful attempt ever) is to simply be gentle & forgiving with myself. My only goal right now is to not drink today.

That's it.

I can be Superwoman tomorrow. Plus I truly believe (as I'm experiencing) that everything kind of starts to fall in place naturally simply by eliminating alcohol from the equations.

Great thread. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

SR

AA

Talking to others in recovery

Exercise

Journaling

A focus on self-development and personal growth

Working on steps

Service to others

Seeking to develop myself spiritually

Time spent in nature

Gratitude

Positivity
Old 10-13-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

"A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle

"The Seat of the Soul" by Gary Zukav

SR
Long walks
Yoga/Meditation
Old 10-13-2014, 07:01 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I don't think about it much anymore. Had a friend go back to moderating and truly wished him the best. I'm sure the results will be in soon either way. It's the only way to know but dangerous for some who can't put it down for some time after starting(I am one of those-14 yr. relapse). It put a damper on our weekly family meeting as he was our third but not my view. I don't drink and rarely need to affirm that anymore but is a good primary mindset for me.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My biggest tool in my box is my own determination. Some argue against it being a willpower thing and addiction is beyond just mindset. I disagree and find that the minute I decided for myself to help myself and it wasn't up to anyone else but me, I started down the path. At only 15 days sober, I understand my point has holes. I am proud to see everyone's milestones, Weeks, Months, Years, but my biggest goal is today. Those milestones take care of themselves if you take care of the day to day. If it is to be it's up to me...
Old 10-13-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A.K.A Bri

My biggest tool is the memory of who I used to be. I hated who I was so much because of all the despair and embarrassment I brought myself from drinking. Also, writing helps me make sense of my emotions and my days, working out makes me feel and look great, reading gives me something to look forward to and lose myself in, my spirituality keeps me motivated and happy, daily gratitude lists remind me of how blessed I am, SR has given me a much needed outlet, and last but not least - Chipotle on my weekly "cheat day" brings me heaven on earth. Like the feeling I used to chase but never get from a bottle.

I used to drink for confidence, motivation, happiness, adequacy, fun, the whole nine. So anything positive that brings me those feelings are what reminds me I don't "need" alcohol like I thought I did. That, in fact, I'm actually better naturally without it.

-B
Old 10-13-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Fly's box.....Body, mind and soul

Asking others for help
Oswald Chambers - Utmost for His Highest
Meditation = Timeless Wisdom / passage meditation Eknath Easwaran
Twelve and Twelve / Daily Reflections / 24 hours a day / Big Book
ACTION!

Meeting(s)
Service work
SR Check in - post wayyyy to much

Hobbies - fishing, guitar - cooking
Walking
Gratitude reflection/prayer

Interaction with sober non-earth people - frequently/daily

Above all .....
Thy will be done.

peace
Old 10-13-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I did want to add that my tools did not work at all until I accepted that I cannot drink anymore, ever. No way, no how, no drinking.

No more negotiating, bargaining, wishing, hoping, praying, justifying, lying, apathy, taking days off from sobriety. None of it!

When you accept that you can't drink anymore then you can start collecting tools and using them.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My best, and favorite tools are my cats and dogs. Giving them the best possible care means I have to be sober. My reward is their loving gaze or the doggie-or-kitty kisses. My reward is their good health and devotion to me.