Notices

I know, I KNOW!

Old 10-09-2014, 07:55 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

if it is any consolation, there are still big triggers for me at 3+ years (counting makes me anxious, I know the one date which coincides with my nephew and old cat's birthday and my mother's funeral....I was sober a few days before that but it's just easier to remember May 5...which is Cinco deMayo too).

I remind myself that drinking AT my anger point is only hurtful to me...I play the tape through to the end and most times squashes my cravings...because I think it is sinful to waste what I have left of my life. (I am 56)...drinking equals a hangover and puking, not walking the dog properly, not taking care of me or my house, not exercising so I will fell EXTRA craptastic...exercise is a big tension relief for me....and so is housework...the end results of these activites beats drinking 100X.

just a question, do you knit? have you ever tried it? (hand made sweaters for Ms. Fuzzz de Nekkid)
Old 10-09-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I also did (and still to, to a somewhat lesser extent) exactly what Scott said.
Are you a generally organized person and a planner by default, Pam, or more the spontaneous kind? I think the best strategy should incorporate your natural tendencies in this regard.

I knew that I'm a natural planning / strategical kind of person, and damage to these traits were some of the most painful for me when I was drinking heavily. As very common in addiction, I became impulsive and disorganized, and it affected everything because I did not know how to function that way. These behaviors are quite out of character for me and I am still struggling with them a bit, but trying to get back to planning my days and activities was tremendously helpful for me in the beginning of my sobriety. It's not so much about daily routines (I actually dislike doing things the same way every day), much more about thinking what I want to do and achieve in advance, and than acting on it as much as realistically possible. It helps avoid falling back into maladaptive behaviors and bad habits (I had so many, not just the alcohol itself). For me it also becomes intrinsically rewarding after a few days and then I want to continue "working the plan" without much effort.

If you are more spontaneous, then maybe just choose a (new) method or a few that you think could help you remain sober more consistently, and try to incorporate them in your every day "on the go", but make sure it does happen.