Notices

This isn't good.

Old 10-06-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

This isn't good.

Well, I was really happy about my antabuse presciption, but here on day 8 I am feeling miserable.
I have spoken to my doctor and she told me to reduce the dosage, but I honestly feel worse than when I was drinking.
I feel completely drugged, weak, tired. I feel like I am starting to go paralyzed. My face is numb, my legs feel like jelly. I managed to pick up my youngest son from school but with incredible effort.
I am not sure how I am going to manage picking up my other son in a few hours. I would go to the hospital (I feel that bad) but I don't think I can drive there.
I am not sure what to do. I had read that drowsiness is a common side effect, but with each passing day I am getting worse and worse. This is more than drowsiness, I feel like I am going to pass out at any given moment. Right now I am seated, but I don't think I can get up.
Obviously medical attention is needed, but until I can arrange for that (I am searching now for a doctor who can make a house visit) I wonder if anyone else has experienced this. From what I have read online the symptoms of drowsiness improve after the first 2 weeks. I am not sure I can make it though another week like this. I have to care for my 2 sons and their father is out of town on business all week.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow, I'm sorry, Merry!
Old 10-06-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh my god, is there any friends or relatives that can help you out? I've never taken that drug so I don't know what the side effects are. If you are embarrassed to tell them can you say you have the flu?
Old 10-06-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's terrible. Are doctor home visits common where you are? (Not available in the US.) I agree that it sounds like an emergency. Please take care and let us know how you're doing.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hang in there... It's already at it's worst so you know it can only getter better. I've been there :/
Old 10-06-2014, 05:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Uh, just read the side effects and extreme fatigue (along w/hives, dark urine) are reactions requiring discontinued use. Tell your doc immediately!
Old 10-06-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I too didn't like the side effects of Antabuse. Felt like a zombie.

I nearly spoke up when you posted you were going to take it, but I didn't want to prejudice your experience.

Sounds like you've got it bad.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

OMG!
If I remember correctly the doctor recommended 2-4 pills for a starter which to my un medical thinking was/is high. Can you converse with the pharmacy for confirmation on the dosage?

BE WELL
Old 10-06-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

hi 5 for 8 days. Sorry you are crook, Maybe water will help flush out toxins.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

seek help Mera ASAP
Old 10-06-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Low

I had no side effects (until I drank on it) so I think what your describing is not right....hope you are seeking some help, can you speak w/ doctor on phone?
Old 10-06-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can reach your dr or go to an ER.

And, I hope you improve if/when you stop using the drug.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
I too didn't like the side effects of Antabuse. Felt like a zombie.

I nearly spoke up when you posted you were going to take it, but I didn't want to prejudice your experience.

Sounds like you've got it bad.

Hey Hawks, I am glad to hear that this has happened to others. Though I am sorry you went through it. I have just had a little rest for 30 minutes and feel slightly better- well enough to drive down the hill to pick up my son. There is a pharmacy directly across the street, I will stop in there.
I still have not found a doctor to come to my home, but that would be the idea solution for this evening. If not I will go somewhere tomorrow.
At first I thought it was normal drowsiness but each day it gets worse and today I am finding hard to function at all. I can't live like this.
Fortunately, it did do it's job and I stayed away form alcohol for 8 days, and know that I have another 2 weeks of sobriety in my system even if I decide to stop the meds.
I have to admit I will be disappointed if I need to stop. I wanted a longer stretch before I went on my own. But it is a start and if I need to stop I will. I cannot go on like this, that is for sure!
Old 10-06-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please Do not ask for or Give Medical Advice.

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I find it's always good to listen when your body is having an adverse reaction.

Not all drugs work for all people. That's why side effects are listed and there are warnings that accompany them.

I said this in another one of your threads, but I'm going to say it again: you have always had the power to quit drinking - with or without Antabuse.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I find it's always good to listen when your body is having an adverse reaction.

I said this in another one of your threads, but I'm going to say it again: you have always had the power to quit drinking - with or without Antabuse.
Thanks for this message, I needed to hear that today. And I do agree about listening to our own bodies. I am very in tune with mine and generally very strong physically/health wise, but I know something isn't right here.
I am feeling better now. I ate a huge meal for lunch and have had a lot of water. I visited the pharmacy with a list of medications and vitamins I am taking, including dosages and intake schedule. The pharmacist didn't see anything that would indicate a problem. My doctor verbally agreed to the decrease in dosage, so I'm good there.
I am going to give it another few days at the decreased dosage. If things don't improve I'll need to let go of this crutch prior than anticipated. I honestly feel worse and less able to manage my days than when I was drinking. I'm thankful to be sober, but a big part of getting sober was to feel better and be more productive.
It looks like it is time to be brave and strong and give this another go "on my own" so to speak.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The fatigue goes away. =) It took a little over a week for me. Try taking the Antabuse at night also.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Getting sober isn't as easy for some of us as it can be for others.

All my life I stood on my own two feet and sorted out any other problem I had ever had and I never asked for money, favours or help from anyone.

Booze was a bit different, after 7 years of trying by myself I just collapsed from near exhaustion .... I don't say that in a discouraging way, I think you are finding out for yourself it isn't as easy as we would like.

If I recall correctly, you were reading the AA big book a while back..... How's that going??
Old 10-06-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
That's terrible. Are doctor home visits common where you are? (Not available in the US.) I agree that it sounds like an emergency. Please take care and let us know how you're doing.
YES! Isn't that amazing!
Here we have the public healthcare system which is (mostly) free for all residents. Some of those doctors make house calls- particularly pediatricians. I remember when both my sons were born and we were released from the hospital, I called the pediatrician for our first visits and he came to the house so I didn't have to pack up a newborn and go to his office.
For adults it is a bit tricker to find, depends on the circumstances. However, we can also find a private doctor and they almost always make house visits. It doesn't cost much to go private and is often worth it. For example, when a doctor orders blood work here we have to go Monday-Friday to a specific office where they take blood- open only from the hours of 7:00-8:30am. You have to take a number and wait in line to register, then again to get your blood taken. After which you have to return in 3-4 days between a certain time window and pick up your results, then take those results to your doctor to look over them.
However, you can call a private nurse who will come to your home at an appointed time, take your blood there and deliver it to the analysis place, also pick up your results for you. This costs between €15-€25 for the service.
Just a side note on Italian healthcare....
Old 10-06-2014, 09:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Getting sober isn't as easy for some of us as it can be for others.

All my life I stood on my own two feet and sorted out any other problem I had ever had and I never asked for money, favours or help from anyone.

Booze was a bit different, after 7 years of trying by myself I just collapsed from near exhaustion .... I don't say that in a discouraging way, I think you are finding out for yourself it isn't as easy as we would like.

If I recall correctly, you were reading the AA big book a while back..... How's that going??
Yep, I feel the same exact way Hawks. I'm pretty pleased with what I have accomplished in life and have always felt fairly solid about my abilities to face problems head on and "fix" whatever needed fixing. Not this alcohol stuff though, it is really by far the toughest thing I've ever had to face but undoubtedly the most important.
I did start reading the big book, thanks for asking about that. I got about halfway through but for the past week I've been pretty much worthless, just coasting along accomplishing the bare minimum. I did get out yesterday for a while, got a lot of fresh air and exercise. It was amazingly difficult due to my energy levels, and the whole time I felt guilty "relaxing" when I should have been doing work and other things i had let go all week, but it was needed.
I will try to set aside some time tonight to read at least a chapter before bed, thanks again for the reminder.
I'm learning as I go here. I have no doubt in my mind I will eventually be a fully sober, totally committed, healthy person. I just have to get there. I'm doing it though. Despite my ups and downs, my highs and lows, my whining and whatever, I am getting there. I'm forever grateful to have found this site, that is for sure. I couldn't have gotten this far without all of you.