View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Meraviglioso

Originally Posted by josharon View Post
That's terrible. Are doctor home visits common where you are? (Not available in the US.) I agree that it sounds like an emergency. Please take care and let us know how you're doing.
YES! Isn't that amazing!
Here we have the public healthcare system which is (mostly) free for all residents. Some of those doctors make house calls- particularly pediatricians. I remember when both my sons were born and we were released from the hospital, I called the pediatrician for our first visits and he came to the house so I didn't have to pack up a newborn and go to his office.
For adults it is a bit tricker to find, depends on the circumstances. However, we can also find a private doctor and they almost always make house visits. It doesn't cost much to go private and is often worth it. For example, when a doctor orders blood work here we have to go Monday-Friday to a specific office where they take blood- open only from the hours of 7:00-8:30am. You have to take a number and wait in line to register, then again to get your blood taken. After which you have to return in 3-4 days between a certain time window and pick up your results, then take those results to your doctor to look over them.
However, you can call a private nurse who will come to your home at an appointed time, take your blood there and deliver it to the analysis place, also pick up your results for you. This costs between €15-€25 for the service.
Just a side note on Italian healthcare....