Notices

Did any other winos do this?

Old 10-03-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Oh yeah...i also would go to different stores (rotate) cause i worried that they remembered my face. I thought...yup, they know i am alcoholic and i was very embarassed.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Proggression never included quality, just quantity!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I used to go to Trader Joes, pretending I was there for their greek yogurt and organic banana.....just "props" for my 13 % + wine!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:50 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
I used to go to Trader Joes, pretending I was there for their greek yogurt and organic banana.....just "props" for my 13 % + wine!

I would walk in and pretend like I'm looking at the snack cakes before moseying down to the beer cooler. I wasn't fooling anyone.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Nope. Never checked for alcohol content. I'd just buy several bottles. Never bought cheap beer either. It made me feel better about drinking massive amounts of beer if it was "good" beer. Only alcoholics drank that cheap stuff. I was more discerning in my tastes. Hah! If I ran out though, my husbands rotgut would do. Probably why I was broke every month.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
Lol... I just remembered something I used to do. And I wonder if it's a common alcoholic thing to do. Particularly for us "classy" lady wine drinkers.... lol.

When I would go in the liquor store - particularly if I was buying just "a bottle" of wine for the evening so that I could look socially acceptable, or try to control my drinking that night, or whatever it was.... I would always study the alcohol percentages for the different kinds of wine. I would pretend I was carefully analyzing each bottle for details to suit my preferences - as if I was some sort of wine conisseur - but all I was really looking for was the highest percentage of alcohol in the bottle! Most bang for my buck right? Bahahaha.

I bet normal drinkers don't even think about looking for the alcohol % in their wine before they buy it.

It was the most important fact for this girl.
Haha that's hilarious! I totally did that!!!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:09 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Yep. Always. I was sure people thought I was a connoisseur!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

You guys are killing me with the lite/light beer comments!! I migrated from micros and craft beer to Lite beer from miller because I could drink more of them and still keep some composure. If I was drinking craft I could drink a 12 pack feel full/bloated, and not speak. But with lite beers, I could drink 18 to 24 and feel "comfortable". I eventually went to Miller 64, as it was like water but I could drink a case or more in a day and feel sort of human the next day. Apparently I just craved the process of drinking as much as the buzz as it was certainly quicker with whisky or tequila. Especially when you drink it like beer.

Time to go to bed here, no beers makes me feel much better in the morning.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:17 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

This is hilarious. My latest binge, it was all ice beer- Icehouse, Bud Ice, Busch Ice, milwaukees best Ice (The Beast, we used to call MB). Each is at least 5.5% up to 5.9%. Light beer is around 4% i think. So for every 12 pack of ice youre getting 4-6 extra beers! Yea, this is totally how my mind thinks. One thing ice beer does is pack on the calories though.

Same with liquor. Usually bought Wild Turkey 101 in a pint and would top it off with a few beers. I figured out the math of it all, so I could buy just what I needed for the night. Rarely was there any left over. If there's alcohol around, I'll drink it. Didn't stop me from taking a drunk run to the quick mart either if I ran out and wanted more.

A reg drinker can buy a handle of liquor or a 6-pack of beer and let it sit in their house for 6 months without drinking any. Complete madness.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:23 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I didn't know wine varied so much in alcohol content.. but then again i never drank it. there is beer now that almost 40 proof..
Old 10-03-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mirage74 View Post

A reg drinker can buy a handle of liquor or a 6-pack of beer and let it sit in their house for 6 months without drinking any. Complete madness.
My parents do this. They still have some beers in their fridge I brought over for a cookout 3 months ago. I thought to myself they wouldn't have lasted 3 hours in my house.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Blood Countess

OMG yes I would always do this!! Walk around the wine store a bit, pretending I'm actually looking for something that will please my palette, or go with shrimp scampi or something.... then make a beeline for the exact wine I want - the cheapest wine with the highest alcohol content and the most volume for price.

But lately the wine store person is catching on... I haven't tried to switch up stores lately so the last time I was in she was just like "see you soon" or "see you next time" or something... she might as well have said "see you tomorrow" ugh.

Also, I used to drink cooking sherry. Then I discovered this 1 litre bottle of irish "sipping wine" and the cost was cheaper than one regular bottle of wine, and the alcohol percentage was 20%. Aaaahhhh.... and it was a plastic bottle with screw off lid. I wish I had never discovered that one.

And also! I was a pro in figuring out just how much I needed to buy to get really really drunk, but without having leftovers, and without needing to make a drunk run to the store later on... oh wow.

And, I still find it hard to understand how one can have alcohol just sitting in their house for months on end... I just don't understand!!! I actually get irrationally angry. Like.... do you like it, or not!?!?!? But really I just wish I was a "normal" drinker too. *sigh*
Old 10-03-2014, 10:39 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

did the same thing