Notices

Did any other winos do this?

Old 10-03-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I always looked for strongest in anything I was buying!
Old 10-03-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

A conversation came up the other day about alcohol percentages at work, different types of wine, beer and spirits were being listed, and I was surprised that some people didn't know the percentages, and then I realised "normal" drinkers don't look at, obsess, think or even consider the strength of what they are drinking in the same way I used to!!

My goal was to get drunk in the most efficient way possible!!

I quickly decided to not look as if I had all the answers!!
Old 10-03-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Wanting the most for my buck I always bought the $2 wine at Walmart with the highest content and stretched it with diet 7 Up to cover most of the evening. I don't understand people who drink White Zin. And for beer Natural Ice.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yes, I studied my "adult juicebox" very thoughtfully before I brought it home, cracked it open and finished it myself in two days.

The bigger question was "Do I mix it with Ginger Ale or Sprite?". Ditto for the Bacardi. I was such a lady

Bunnez
Old 10-03-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Has anyone else drank cooking wine?

I was making chicken marsala one night and noticed the bottle had 17% printed on it. Needless to say I didn't put nearly as much in the sauce as I put in my gullet. Foul tasting stuff, too.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Yep I did this! I liked French wine but it usually has a lower alcohol percentage than Australian wine, which is thick syrupy vinegary stuff and usually packs a 14.5% alcohol content... so I went with the Australian more often than not even though it tastes worse.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Did it with beer as well. Used to get bombers of specialty beer in a stout or imperial stout with 10 to 13% alcohol, drink a couple of them and then complain to my wife that the beer got out of hand, I wonder what alcohol content it had? I always knew the alcohol content. then I would use one or two of these to get sailing then switch to the other stuff. Natural ice? Did not even know they made an ice beer. Icehouse back in the day was always fun. I know Milwaukee made an ice beer, it sold well.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Natural Ice, Keystone, and Icehouse are all similar in price and alcohol content. Natural Light doesn't have as much alcohol. I wouldn't touch a light beer.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:37 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Yeppers! Not only that, but I would constantly be doing math about how much I could drink without it looking like a lot. If I bought a bottle of wine I knew it was 750 ml but looked bad and would **** my fiancé off…BUT if I bought a small squeezey box plus 2 mini bottles it was a total of 874 ml and he saw it as less because the bottles were little. Jesus, I could do the math on any combo of wine packaging and I always got the most for the least "looking" impact. And of course always 13.5%!
Old 10-03-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Many times I'd pair my wine with cat food, cat treats, extra coffee, or toilet paper... so the wine wouldn't be so obvious.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PolarBlue View Post
Natural Ice, Keystone, and Icehouse are all similar in price and alcohol content. Natural Light doesn't have as much alcohol. I wouldn't touch a light beer.
Light beer! Forget about it. Light beer was for people who couldn't "handle" their alcohol. I wouldn't touch it either and was actually offended if it was offered but, I would drink it if nothing else was available.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Tee hee hee hee

I did something similar, but with beer. Beer is a "guy thing" afterall, i guess wine is the "gal thing".

After a while as i grew to like it more and more (and as my tolerance increased) i started Googling around for "highest alcohol percentage beers" and found some random forum posts from booze fan-sites. The authors of such random posts made mention to Steel Reserve 211, Olde English 800, Mickey's malt liquor, Cobra, Mad Dog, etc in their "recommendations" ............. and so ushered in the "era" of the 40 oz for me, lol.

In the liquor store, i think even the cashier started giving me a concerned look after a while.......... i was consistently coming in day after day after day for a 40 oz, sometimes for a 40 oz and some "hard" liquor. I think one of my favorite combos was the 40 oz and a 24 oz of "regular" beer such as Heineken.

Definitely anything but "classy", but at the height of my alcoholism i was usually in and out pretty quick........... was always in a hurry to get home to a tall glass full of ice and, of course, my buzz

Ironically, it wasn't until after i quit that i learned that the cheap 40 oz booze bottles are commonly associated with the homeless, bums, and the dregs of society. I guess at the height of my drinking the only difference between me and those homeless types was i still had a roof over my head and food to eat.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:01 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PolarBlue
I was the same way, i don't think i ever touched a single "light" beverage. If said "light" on it, i wasn't interested.

One time I went to a company sponsored picnic where they had "light" beers, but that was probably the only time i ever drank anything with "light" on the label. I drank one or two, felt absolutely nothing. Got home and the "real" drinking began
Old 10-03-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post
I was the same way, i don't think i ever touched a single "light" beverage. I went to a company picnic where they had "light" beers, but that was probably the only time i ever drank anything with "light" on the label
My family usually has Coors Light at barbecues. I don't know how much alcohol's in it but it never did much for me. I would always show up half lit and bring something stronger.

It's sort of eye opening thinking about this stuff while sober. It became so routine that it felt like normal behavior.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:13 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I was always the "beer run" girl! ahem ahem
Old 10-03-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yes, I always did exactly the same thing, Mrrryah. 13.5 was the magic number. I also rotated grocery stores, and I recall there was a whole thread on that a while back.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:39 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by calico View Post
Yes, I always did exactly the same thing, Mrrryah. 13.5 was the magic number. I also rotated grocery stores, and I recall there was a whole thread on that a while back.
Sometimes I'd hit every store in town twice on the same day, only buying a couple at a time to try and 'moderate'. That plan didn't work well.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Vell of Coaase, Dahlin'!!
Old 10-03-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I can't believe it lol I thought it's just me..when i tried to moderate, i would pick up a little bottle 350 ml but i had to make sure it's 14%...crazy
Old 10-03-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I did. Would never drink a light beer. What a waste to drink that water...