Notices

My apologies to forum and admins

Old 09-30-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Welcome Art.

On an off topic note - I like county music but I find myself changing stations a lot because there are too many songs about drinking.

One of my favorite titles: My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend, And I Sure Do Miss Him.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:47 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

"Drop Kick Me Jesus (Through the Goal Post of Life)" is the best thing I've ever heard. Seriously LOL. That is my new favorite song.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ghostdad View Post
Welcome Art.

On an off topic note - I like county music but I find myself changing stations a lot because there are too many songs about drinking.

One of my favorite titles: My Wife Ran Off With My Best Friend, And I Sure Do Miss Him.
I have been finding that so often, also, ghostdad. I got into country initially when I found main stream music too violent; while I was listening the other day, it seemed as though every song was about drinking. It's not sending a very good message.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:50 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Great to hear you're sticking around ArtFriend!!

This a great place for support, sure sometimes debate gets a bit rough and tumble, but there's generally never any malice, people usually have great intentions at heart!!
Old 09-30-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Cheyenne Rodeo Days

Back in my Wasted Youth, I filled in on Bass Guitar for a Pal while he was out of Town. His Guano-kickin' Country Band was playing 'Prime Time' at a Bar Downtown during 'Rodeo Days' in Cheyenne Wyoming. A big damned deal in them thar parts. People thought nothing of getting up at 2 A.M. to hop in the ole 'Buick 88' to drive 6 or 8 hours in from South Dakota for the Weekend. Country Bass Guitar consists of about 5 notes that one can play when extensively Hungover, so - times being what they were - I accepted the Job.

The Bar opened at 6 A.M. after being closed 4 hours from 2 A.M.. I vaguely recall that we played 3 nights prior, and then a Sunday 'Matinee' so that Folks could swill down 'a little Hair of the Dog' while savoring cheap Hot Dogs. From the 2' high Stage, I saw one Drunk Cowboy 'roundhouse' some Gal sitting down right in the Jaw when she declined to dance with him about 1:15 A.M.. Blood and few Teeth everywhere. In that she was either a local Native American or Hispanic Gal, and he was Caucasian, this started what I would describe as a Race Riot. Drunken Fights, and some Blue Steel [Hand Guns] was flashed. We were unplugging 'live', squealing Amplifiers and Gear and throwing it through the swinging Kitchen Door until numerous Cops showed up. Took a while just to clear the place.

THEN, some Drunk Cowboy [a redundant description?] was P.O.ed another night that he was shown the Door. He got his brand new Pick-em-up Truck and started bashing it against the Steel Poles out front of the Doors; ruining the Radiator and Steering. Kind of an 'I'll show me moment...'. Then, some Guys on massive Harley's came in the front Swinging Doors and did a few 'Donuts' on the Dance Floor before squealing out again. Just another Weekend Night in Cheyenne...

While I've never actually played behind Chicken Wire - a la 'The Blues Brothers' - there's plenty of Honkee Tonks like that out there. The ideal Set List of Music to play at such Dives is listed above. If I never played Waylon Jennings' 'Good Hearted Woman' ever again, it would be too soon. Hey, play it AGAIN by request 5x/night, and get yourself ~5 free Whiskey Shots from various grateful Patrons. Lots of 'Relationship Management' going on in Country Bars, per George Strait's Song: 'All My Ex's Live In Texas'.

Watch Carrie Underwood's 'When He Cheats' on You Tube to get a sample of externalized Pain/Anger via the old saying: 'Don't get mad, get even'. One quick image of a Whiskey/Rocks in the Video, but that's about it. There's many more images of a Cheatin' Guy's mangled Dodge Truck; a 'Trigger' for us new Truck Owners!
Old 09-30-2014, 11:20 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Back in my Wasted Youth, I filled in on Bass Guitar for a Pal while he was out of Town. His Guano-kickin' Country Band was playing 'Prime Time' at a Bar Downtown during 'Rodeo Days' in Cheyenne Wyoming. A big damned deal in them thar parts. People thought nothing of getting up at 2 A.M. to hop in the ole 'Buick 88' to drive 6 or 8 hours in from South Dakota for the Weekend. Country Bass Guitar consists of about 5 notes that one can play when extensively Hungover, so - times being what they were - I accepted the Job.

The Bar opened at 6 A.M. after being closed 4 hours from 2 A.M.. I vaguely recall that we played 3 nights prior, and then a Sunday 'Matinee' so that Folks could swill down 'a little Hair of the Dog' while savoring cheap Hot Dogs. From the 2' high Stage, I saw one Drunk Cowboy 'roundhouse' some Gal sitting down right in the Jaw when she declined to dance with him about 1:15 A.M.. Blood and few Teeth everywhere. In that she was either a local Native American or Hispanic Gal, and he was Caucasian, this started what I would describe as a Race Riot. Drunken Fights, and some Blue Steel [Hand Guns] was flashed. We were unplugging 'live', squealing Amplifiers and Gear and throwing it through the swinging Kitchen Door until numerous Cops showed up. Took a while just to clear the place.

THEN, some Drunk Cowboy [a redundant description?] was P.O.ed another night that he was shown the Door. He got his brand new Pick-em-up Truck and started bashing it against the Steel Poles out front of the Doors; ruining the Radiator and Steering. Kind of an 'I'll show me moment...'. Then, some Guys on massive Harley's came in the front Swinging Doors and did a few 'Donuts' on the Dance Floor before squealing out again. Just another Weekend Night in Cheyenne...

While I've never actually played behind Chicken Wire - a la 'The Blues Brothers' - there's plenty of Honkee Tonks like that out there. The ideal Set List of Music to play at such Dives is listed above. If I never played Waylon Jennings' 'Good Hearted Woman' ever again, it would be too soon. Hey, play it AGAIN by request 5x/night, and get yourself ~5 free Whiskey Shots from various grateful Patrons. Lots of 'Relationship Management' going on in Country Bars, per George Strait's Song: 'All My Ex's Live In Texas'.

Watch Carrie Underwood's 'When He Cheats' on You Tube to get a sample of externalized Pain/Anger via the old saying: 'Don't get mad, get even'. One quick image of a Whiskey/Rocks in the Video, but that's about it. There's many more images of a Cheatin' Guy's mangled Dodge Truck; a 'Trigger' for us new Truck Owners!

I don't have anything to add, except to say I really enjoyed reading this!!
Old 09-30-2014, 11:21 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Must have been quite an experience, MesaMan.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I had anger and aggression issues too (I'm a woman, quiet on the outside, roaring on the inside ) I have found exercise to help tremendously in that regard. High intensity classes or a simple walk/run do wonders to get the pressure out. Do you work out at all? I notice a big difference when I do and don't. I have also added yoga and meditation to my routines. I hope you stick around and start working on a healthy living plan for yourself!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:01 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Trudgin

If I didn't offend you yesterday come back tomorrow!

Clancy I
Famed AA speaker