Notices

My apologies to forum and admins

Old 09-30-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by razor15 View Post
And I'm going to call you Art now.
You can call me Art... but don't call me late for dinner.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Funny!!!!!! Especially Thank God and Greyhound You Are Gone.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Right!

Years ago, a country station where I live would post the names of some of the more ridiculous songs on billboards. Like:

You Took My Heart and Stomped that Sucker Flat
Walk Out Backwards So I Think You're Coming Back
I Bought the Shoes that are Walking Out on Me
Thank God and Greyhound You're Gone
Don't Squeeze My Sharmon

and my favorite

Drop Kick Me Jesus (Through The Goal Posts Of Life)
Bahahahahaaaaaaaa! I love it!!!

It's just . . . too much!! lOLoLoL
Old 09-30-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

No offense to country music lovin' folk, but yes, sometimes the songs and lyrics in the pop country genre are sooooooooo hilarious!!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey, ArtFriend, I'm glad you're still here.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Because you're a girl, I'll choose to call you "Friend" instead!

Glad you've decided to stay!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

glad you're sticking around.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

In your other post you wrote:

"These types of forums never work for me. The issues are too involved, the interaction too limiting (90% of communication is non-verbal) and things can easily be misconstrued."

Forums have their benefits and their limitations. Perhaps you would find face-to-face support helpful and less likely to be miscontrued.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am adjusting my expectations for this forum. And I am working to find a face-to-face arrangement that can more closely suit my needs at this point. My issues, of which there are many I admit, cannot possibly be addressed in a public forum like this. I think this is going to be perhaps a good supplement however. Thanks
Old 09-30-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I've learned a lot about myself in forums.

This one is the kindest and gentlest of forums I've ever seen.

It is a safe place to learn to let go of our life's burdens. I hope you find it helpful - we're glad you're here.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Art,

FYI I was a hell of a lot angrier when I first gave up the booze than when I was drinking it. I think it just takes time to work that stuff out. I still get a lot angrier than I used to, but I guess I just feel it more since I am not drunk. Anger is funny when you think about it, all it does is hurt you! When I see someone go off the handle with anger I just look at them and laugh because I don't care if they are angry. It is especially hard when the guy in the mirror is going off the handle. Wish I could control it better!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:10 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Welcome ArtFriend:

I joined up in January of this year as I needed an outlet of like minded people since I wanted to get sober. I tried AA and other things but they just were not for me (my own personal experience and opinion.)

SR has been a great resource for me in supporting me through my highs and lows. There have been plenty of both.

I have found SR to be a great support system for me. I have had many people give me great advice, wisdom and direction in making my plan for sobriety. The resources are endless.

Most of all I just wanted to say hello and welcome aboard!!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I really never thought of myself as an angry person per se. If you met me I come across quiet, reserved and cordial. This anger thing is new for me. I think I have spent so many years repressing and stuffing my feelings that there is no room left! It's leaking out all over and in inappropriate ways and places. But, yes, anger only hurts the person who has it. Like internal rust eating at your soul.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:34 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

It will come out when it comes out and eventually it will get better. I never thought I was an angry person either, but I think my wife would disagree with that!! I still struggle with it daily, especially with stupid things that really don't matter at all. Traffic, people not understanding what I mean, waiting for people who are slow in lines, etc. It will all get better,,, I hope.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you're staying art. I went back to read the thread you were referring to. It sounds like you are dripping with pain, one can only suffer so long. I agree that getting face to face help for the loss of your sister and mother and deal with your brother is wise.

By far SR has been such a comforting, nurturing, safe place to receive guidance and support for all matters pertaining to addiction. The good folks here also rally around you when life is unbearable for other reasons, as mine currently is.

Keep talking and getting it out, I think you'll find as I have that SR can become more than an anonymous forum, rather a little family.

Be well take care
Old 09-30-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I just stumbled into this thread but I want to add my thumbs-up that you are sticking around, my Friend Art.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImperfectlyMe View Post
I'm so glad you're staying art. I went back to read the thread you were referring to. It sounds like you are dripping with pain, one can only suffer so long. I agree that getting face to face help for the loss of your sister and mother and deal with your brother is wise.

By far SR has been such a comforting, nurturing, safe place to receive guidance and support for all matters pertaining to addiction. The good folks here also rally around you when life is unbearable for other reasons, as mine currently is.

Keep talking and getting it out, I think you'll find as I have that SR can become more than an anonymous forum, rather a little family.

Be well take care
Thank you very much!

Yes, anger is pain externalized. It has its place and purpose, but when it is expressed inappropriately then the troubles start. My theory is that we are not socialized on how to handle anger. We are taught (esp women) that it is not nice to be angry and you must suck it up. It's a viable emotion, but it gets quashed all the time. There is no shame in expressing anger in an appropriate manner AND at an appropriate time. But when you repress it, it comes out later and directed at the wrong person or thing. I just heard someone this morning talking about that guy who beheaded his co-worker. She said he is an "injustice collector". Seems like a small name for what he really is. Here is an extreme case of a guy who repressed his anger to the point of murdering someone.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:05 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

You guys are great! Really. I am humbled your outpouring of help and support!
Old 09-30-2014, 09:11 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post

Drop Kick Me Jesus (Through The Goal Posts Of Life)
That made me laugh out loud for real!
Old 09-30-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I think that might have to be the theme song of the weekender.... Ohhhh ken