Notices

Doctor put me on Lexapro and Ativan

Old 09-30-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

Doctor put me on Lexapro and Ativan

I went to the doctor yesterday and that's what he put me on. He said not to take the ativan everyday but that it would help until the lexapro started working. I only took 0.5mg this morning and I've feel kind of in a fog all day. No euphoric feeling or body feeling.. I just feel kind of slowed down more than usual. Thoughts?
Old 09-30-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience with either of those drugs. I'd follow the Drs directions specifically and contact them if you have any concerns or queries.

I hope they help
D
Old 09-30-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by erin8 View Post
I went to the doctor yesterday and that's what he put me on. He said not to take the ativan everyday but that it would help until the lexapro started working. I only took 0.5mg this morning and I've feel kind of in a fog all day. No euphoric feeling or body feeling.. I just feel kind of slowed down more than usual. Thoughts?
Ativan is a benzo for short term use while your Lexapro kicks in. Follow your doctors orders and it will work out for ya. Best of luck
Old 09-30-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

I kind of feel like I'm cheating on my sobriety then. Should I wait until I quit the ativan and make that my sobriety date? The ativan doesn't make me feel "high" or "drunk" but it does make me feel different.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like the dr wants you to try an antidepressant (Lexapro). Did you discuss with him that you are trying to stop drinking? Focus on staying sober!
Old 09-30-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by erin8 View Post
I kind of feel like I'm cheating on my sobriety then. Should I wait until I quit the ativan and make that my sobriety date? The ativan doesn't make me feel "high" or "drunk" but it does make me feel different.
Don't feel that way. I know ALOT of people have different opinions on medication during sobriety.

The scale goes back and forth on what people "think" is not medication you should be on during recovery, but the simple truth is if you have a good doctor who is looking out for your best interests and you have been open with him about your past you are in good hands. Listen to your doctor - not the people that aren't.

You'll be fine.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

I did tell him about my depression and my drinking problem.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Don't Blink

Everything I've read about ativan has scared me though, I will be cautious with it. I do not want to trade one addiction for another.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Just be absolutely certain to not drink while taking Ativan. Alcohol also counteracts an anti-depressant.

Welcome to your new sober life!
Old 09-30-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Loved ativan but make sure it isn't for more than a few weeks. It is highly addicting I was hooked on it for a very long time... use as prescribed.