Notices

Labels - Alcoholics

Old 09-30-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I found the Women For Sobriety program incredibly empowering.

WFS “New Life” Acceptance Program

I have a life-threatening problem that once had me.
I now take charge of my life and my disease. I accept the responsibility.

Negative thoughts destroy only myself.
My first conscious sober act must be to remove negativity from my life.

Happiness is a habit I will develop.
Happiness is created, not waited for.

Problems bother me only to the degree I permit them to.
I now better understand my problems and do not permit problems to overwhelm me.

I am what I think.
I am a capable, competent, caring, compassionate woman.

Life can be ordinary or it can be great.
Greatness is mine by a conscious effort.

Love can change the course of my world.
Caring becomes all important.

The fundamental object of life is emotional and spiritual growth.
Daily I put my life into a proper order, knowing which are the priorities.

The past is gone forever.
No longer will I be victimized by the past. I am a new person.

All love given returns.
I will learn to know that others love me.

Enthusiasm is my daily exercise.
I treasure all moments of my new life.

I am a competent woman and have much to give life.
This is what I am and I shall know it always.

I am responsible for myself and for my actions.
I am in charge of my mind, my thoughts, and my life.

To make the Program effective for you, arise each morning fifteen minutes earlier than usual and go over the Thirteen Affirmations. Then begin to think about each one by itself. Take one Statement and use it consciously all day. At the end of the day review the use of it and what effects it had that day for you and your actions.

Internet Message Forum & Chat | Women for Sobriety, Inc.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:44 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Cindy, I wanted to thank you for posting this thread. Have you researched Women for Sobriety at all? I am not sure if they are in your area, or if they are where you are located. But they focus on positive affirmations v.s. AA's 12 Steps. Jean Kirkpatrick was the founder. You might find some of their literature/information useful.

Oooh I should have read the previous post before i posted! Readerbaby71 is right on track!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hello cindyo. I agree. I am not powerless. I will not surrender. Labels are just that labels. Tear off the label and "it" can be anything. I have a drinking problem but I am looking for solutions not focusing on the problem. I have beat other issues in life so I don't consider myself a "prisoner" to things I have overcome in the past. And when I overcome this it will be nothing more than a distant memory. Great post. Thanks for writing it.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:03 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Alcoholics have drinking problems, that's what most people think. They are dependent on it, addicted to it, and even if they stop drinking for a while are in danger of relapse if they don't do certain things or behave in a prescribed way. There are exceptions here, but this seems to be the prevailing understanding. Only sober for today.

As heartcore said, being an alcoholic, being addicted, is of all reasons to drink one of the best. "Of course I drink all the time, I'm an alcoholic".

So, CindyO, from this we can see that labeling oneself an alcoholic does nothing to change drinking behaviour. That needs to come from someplace else, some other source of meaning. For me, I decided that I was going to no longer be dependent on alcohol because I was going to quit drinking it. I decided that I was never going to be at risk of drinking again either, no matter what else happens to me. It is simply not possible. This meant that I was no longer an alcoholic. Alcoholic is not a label that I find helpful for me in the least.

You are right, there is a feeling of freedom that comes with unconditional sobriety. As a non-drinker, and there are billions of us, there are no labels or obligations. Drinking again is not something I, or those close to me, are even a little bit concerned about. After what I put them all through, I think I owe them that.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:26 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by CindyO View Post
SC - that's exactly what I want to label myself in two years. Not an alcoholic but a non-drinker. That probably makes me a denial alcoholic but one can hope.
You can label yourself a non drinker right now, if you choose, CindyO. You can get started on your new life today. Put yourself in charge, believe you can do it, and you will.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

The label itself doesn't really matter. What matters is what you think you are. And what you do about it.

As for AA, I wasn't fond of the meetings around here at all. But I really love the 12 Steps and my particular "interpretation" of them Don't knock it completely if you're at all curious about it. I've used SMART, WFS, AVRT and AA. Got something from them all! And hopefully, gave back to others as well. SR is my favorite community
Old 09-30-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Diabetics, epileptics, alcoholics - none of us with these "conditions" introduce ourselves to strangers this way. We just all manage our personal issues with diligence and go about our daily lives. We have stopped caring about labels and become focused on enjoying life!

I can imagine that the word "alcoholic" is a pretty scary word on Day 4, but by Day 844 you might not be so worried about it. And the only way to get to Day 844 is to make it through Day 5 tomorrow. I don't care about your running style, I just want you to join the race. I'm here cheering you on, just like the rest.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Rico1983

CindyO, thank you for your brave posts and congrats on day 5

You are NOT powerless! I need to keep telling myself that too. (Just finished my day 10)

While I will never bash a program that has helped people, I am done with AA as of today. I refuse to work any step where I give up my own life to another flawed human being acting as a self-appointed proxy for a Higher Power. If that works for others and keeps them sober then that's great! That is not me. Quite the opposite, I find that the more of myself I give up, the more likely I will drink due to family and peer pressure.

Stay strong Cindy and don't give up

Old 09-30-2014, 10:07 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Wow! I love this thread. I've enjoyed reading all the perspectives about the term alcoholic.

I do not call myself an alcoholic. There isn't a time in my life where it is necessary. Nobody expects me to drink, or pushes me to drink. I'm such a healthnut that most would assume, if they were even that curious to know, that I don't drink bc I'm a healthnut. I cannot recall a time when I've been out with folks and it even came up.

And, I tend to agree with the positive affirmation things. The word "alcoholic" can be seen as a positive or a negative depending on your thought processes. Personally, I see it as my weakness, and focus more on my healthy lifestyle. Drinking doesn't fit into that.

Be well, everyone. Soooo glad to be on SR. I love the supportive, open, wise community.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:28 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I need to remind myself daily tat i am an alcoholic in recovery.
In truth i don't want to be one and never have wanted this burden.
It has ruined a large part of my life.
In the past (after a period of abstinence) i have denied it, ignored it, or convinced myself that the 'label' simply does not apply to me anymore.
Then i have stopped doing the things that i need to do on a daily basis for my continued recovery and health.
And each time this has led to a 'still worse relapse'.
I am an alcoholic in solid recovery.
Lest i ever forget....
G
Old 09-30-2014, 11:10 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I do call myself an alcoholic and probably always will. I know for me, I can never forget nor do I want to. The day I do that I know I will be in a lot of trouble.

I have to second the WFS program. It is all about empowering yourself and it really is a good positive program that makes me feel good about myself.
Old 10-01-2014, 02:47 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

alcoholic, problem drinker, addict etc these are labels, what is MORE important is breaking free from the booze and the problems that come with it!

I believe in keeping things simple