Notices

Recovery Enthusiasts

Old 09-08-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Recovery Enthusiasts

Hello All,

I am pretty much enthusiastic about recovery programs and their overall actions regarding drug related issues. In fact, I would like to get informed of the basics of recovery programs. How can I choose the best one that brings me quick recovery from alcoholism that is at least several years old?

Is it possible to really gain recovery from long-term alcoholism? If possible, how much time I would need to stay opted in. Thanks for your cooperation.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kyle84 View Post
How can I choose the best one that brings me quick recovery
Quick recovery? Um...hate to burst your bubble...but it don't exist.

I love your thread title as I consider myself a "recovery enthusiast" BUT...recovery is a process..not an event.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I first knew that I had to stop drinking completely I checked out quite a few recovery programs but there was one thing that baffled me about them:

I had to stop drinking! I had to stop even when I was alone in the evening.

I think any recovery program works if you are truly ready to stop drinking.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kyle - and welcome

your question is kind of like 'how long is a piece of string'
The correct answer for you? only you can find that out

the best thing I can advise is to check out your options.

You could see your Dr or a counsellor and see what they suggest...you could explore inpatient or outpatient rehab, you could try becoming a regular member of a community such as this...or you could try any one of the main recovery groups:

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

As for how long you would need to stay 'opted in' - again noone here can make that determination for you

I've been sober now for several years, and I still work on my recovery - it's not a chore or something I do without enthusiasm...it's a part of my life every day like brushing my teeth or showering really

D
Old 09-08-2014, 01:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Dee pretty much covered it. I just want to add that the decision to quit is not a drawn out process. Putting down the drink is the first thing, never drinking again is the next thing. Regardless of the "recovery" method you choose, you have to be 100% committed to it. You can't be a part time drinker and be in "recovery" at the same time.
For me it was complete abstention from alcohol. It's the only way. Working on myself as a person came next.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by kyle84 View Post
How can I choose the best one that brings me quick recovery from alcoholism that is at least several years old?

Is it possible to really gain recovery from long-term alcoholism? If possible, how much time I would need to stay opted in. Thanks for your cooperation.
Which method you choose depends on your personality and what's practical. You might be able to quit on your own, or you might need support. Why not try AA as the most available method, and see how you go? Talking to your doctor is a great start too. I didn't attend a group, but I'm fairly active in SR.

Many many people have gained recovery from long term alcoholism, so yes, it's possible. You'd have to stay committed to recovery for the rest of your life, whether you're using a 'method' or not, but it's not all deprivation and striving. Once you've started enjoying being sober, life becomes much more fulfilling.

Most alcoholics can't ever drink again because they tend to become addicted again.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I'm a strong practitioner of cbtrecovery and DBT. Both "programs if you will" do focus on requiring coping strategies and behaviours that one can use to stay today.

Whatever you do find useful, maintaining a constant practice is always a wise choice.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, Dee said it well. Personally, I think recovery is a life-long commitment. I don't think it's something that you start and then finish on a specific date.

I hope you decide to hang around and find support here.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Dee pretty much covered it. I just want to add that the decision to quit is not a drawn out process. Putting down the drink is the first thing, never drinking again is the next thing. Regardless of the "recovery" method you choose, you have to be 100% committed to it. You can't be a part time drinker and be in "recovery" at the same time.
For me it was complete abstention from alcohol. It's the only way. Working on myself as a person came next.
Good stuff LBrain. I believe those bolded portions are as quick as it gets.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Co-sign for everything D said

I would say recovery you get what you give

In time that will make sense