Notices

AA or not to AA? Aye?

Old 09-05-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're working on your recovery.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I would not be sober today without AA. In the beginning it was about having a temp sponsor and someone who understood my challenges and had walked in my shoes. I used this resource a lot during that first few months. I believe in this sense AA is invaluable. Later my needs changed and the steps became more important to my program.

I would say a big yes. Remember going does mean you are wed to AA
Old 09-05-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jdooner View Post
I would say a big yes. Remember going does mean you are wed to AA
????????? Was that a typo?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:52 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

hahah I think he meant doesn't
Old 09-05-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
hahah I think he meant doesn't
maybe...

I never heard of it being too early to go to AA. I know some people waited too long to go.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Recovering ostrich

At least you would get coffee and cookies.

In all seriousness, you'd be going to a room of people just like you who will understand you and you will be amazed at how many share your story and feelings.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:13 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tic127 View Post
????????? Was that a typo?
Yes typo - autocorrect should have been "doesn't"

Going to a meeting does not mean you can't change programs or this is a decision that cannot be changed at some point.

The point I am making is I think being part of a fellowship in the early days is quite important, particularly with 3D accountability. Having a temp sponsor that has walked in my shoes was super helpful to me. Saved my ass more than a few times when I wanted to break in that first month.

Now after a couple months, I could have and actually did move away from AA and got into Rational Recovery. I ended up going back to AA but that is just me. So my decision in those first weeks to attend a meeting did not mean I was on the AA Team and could not change programs.

The AA I needed early on is a very different AA that I need now.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:30 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ok, thanks for that jdooner. I am gunna go tonight, thanks all
Old 09-05-2014, 08:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sounds like a plan, no harm in checking it out!!
Old 09-05-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

I would say go to see if you like it or not if it was life changing then would you regret it if you didn't go ?

If your serious like i was serious you will do anything to stay sober

It has to be for you I know making the gf is important but the focus has to be on your recovery in the early early days

Rooting for you all my blood is Scottish its just my london accent that let's me down lol

Good luck there's a online mtn here in chat at 2 am UK time
Old 09-05-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

It's never too early!!!! Newcomers are always welcome I say - go for it! What harm could it do ?
Old 09-05-2014, 02:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

So I'm back from my FIRST AA meeting...
Held back the tears and introduced myself, i am really glad I did it!
Met some really nice people! To answer my own question and for anyone else wondering whether to do it!!!!!? A big fat yes!
Old 09-05-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you Tic

D
Old 09-05-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

First time you go, do you have to get up and introduce yrself, or can u sit there quietly listening?
Old 09-05-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I didn't have to say a word, a woman said hello to me outside when I first turned up. She could see it was my first time (deer in head lights look on my face ) I didn't say much, she was friendly and just said follow me were starting. We sat down ( about 30 of us I counted ) anyone could introduce them selfs if they liked, some didn't say a word ( more than half didn't i'd say ).

So please don't worry, you can just go and say as much or a little as you are ready for!
They seem pretty good at reading body language, if you wanna keep yourself to yourself you can
Old 09-05-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Do your best

So happy for you well done !
Old 09-05-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Cheers soberwolf how's you doing pal?
Old 09-05-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Do your best

I'm excellent it was my neice 4th birthday today so went to give the earings I got her Ialso got her a locket which is her first so was over the moon that I got her that

I've had a beautiful day playing with playdoh singing along to dolly partons songs with my neice as she likes dolly parton music

These are the days I live for

Can't believe I was singing dolly parton but that's sobriety for you lol lol

Jo lene Jo lene Jo lene JO-LENE lol
Old 09-05-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I went to AA and stayed sober for almost 6 years. I worked the 12 steps with a sponsor, gave leads (told my story) & was pretty involved.

By year 4 I was getting complacent. My life was good, I was sober & I eventually said to myself "I don't need this program anymore...I'm cured!"

BAD IDEA! I relapsed last October and things are worse now than ever! I'm still struggling. My ego and pride have kept me from going back. Asking for help seems painful. But...I'm going back tomorrow.

I have had 10 miserable months of drinking to think about why I need AA. Here are a few:

1. The people in the meetings truly "get it". They understand what "normal drinkers" don't and never will.
2. You always have someone to call or talk to
3. You can take what you want & leave the rest.
4. It's a great face to face reminder of the hell the alcohol causes our loves. You unfortunately see people (like me) who once had lots of sobriety & happiness come crawling back reminding you that it doesn't get better. (In case you forget like I did)
5. Alcoholics have amazing "forgetters". We need to be reminded how crappy our lives were when we were drinking or we will go back out (like I did).
6. People in AA really care and are nice. Sure, there are a few strange people you may want to stay away from, but you quickly learn who the "winners" are. (The people that have what you want....sobriety, peace & happiness)
7. It's free!

I think the bottom line for me is over the past 10 months of relapse I have realized I can't do this alone. As much as I love SR, it's not enough for me. I need human contact. Humans need human contact....that's why there are lots of us. :-)

At the very least....look at it as a support group. A place to feel like you belong. A place to never be alone.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 09-05-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
I went to AA and stayed sober for almost 6 years. I worked the 12 steps with a sponsor, gave leads (told my story) & was pretty involved.

By year 4 I was getting complacent. My life was good, I was sober & I eventually said to myself "I don't need this program anymore...I'm cured!"

BAD IDEA! I relapsed last October and things are worse now than ever! I'm still struggling. My ego and pride have kept me from going back. Asking for help seems painful. But...I'm going back tomorrow.

I have had 10 miserable months of drinking to think about why I need AA. Here are a few:

1. The people in the meetings truly "get it". They understand what "normal drinkers" don't and never will.
2. You always have someone to call or talk to
3. You can take what you want & leave the rest.
4. It's a great face to face reminder of the hell the alcohol causes our loves. You unfortunately see people (like me) who once had lots of sobriety & happiness come crawling back reminding you that it doesn't get better. (In case you forget like I did)
5. Alcoholics have amazing "forgetters". We need to be reminded how crappy our lives were when we were drinking or we will go back out (like I did).
6. People in AA really care and are nice. Sure, there are a few strange people you may want to stay away from, but you quickly learn who the "winners" are. (The people that have what you want....sobriety, peace & happiness)
7. It's free!

I think the bottom line for me is over the past 10 months of relapse I have realized I can't do this alone. As much as I love SR, it's not enough for me. I need human contact. Humans need human contact....that's why there are lots of us. :-)

At the very least....look at it as a support group. A place to feel like you belong. A place to never be alone.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
I'm so sorry to hear that, really makes you think! Inspiring post!
Thank you and good luck serenidad