Notices

Who uses SR as their only Support

Old 09-04-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

This site has been my only support. Without it I wouldn't be on this path back to healthiness and happiness. Everyone has their own path and comfort zone with what works for them and this is it for me now. Once I get more time under my belt I will explore additional options for long term. Just knowing there is 24/7 support here makes all the difference between moving forward or backward.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

For right now, SR is my main support system. I also have a BF who knows I am quitting drinking. Previously, I was trying to do a buddy system with someone who was also trying to cut back/quit drinking but she got a boyfriend and decided to do things on her own. SO I found SR very helpful along with my journal and tracker. I'm also planning on going back to therapy. I am an introvert and struggle with social anxiety so the idea of going to an AA meeting still scares me.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

same here.

never been to an AA or anything like that, SR is "sufficient" for me
Old 09-27-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyfree2525 View Post
I am wondering how many of you have been able to stay sober with the support of SR alone for a significant amount of time? Not saying this is what I am going to do, just curious as I work through this>
I've only doing this sober thing for a week, but SR has been my only resource as of yet.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:21 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

besides SR I take topiramate and see the therapist once a week
Old 09-27-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

As far as maintaining sobriety, I like reading the different pov's on SR (as well as taking other measures). But for me, SR isn't the way I'd handle a setback in thinking, or any other major challenge to my sobriety. I have done--and what I think I'd continue to do in the future--is call another sober alcoholic and talk asap.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lostinthetrees View Post
SR is all that I have used thus far, and it has been working. 79 days of reading the forums has taught me a lot, and offers constant reminders of the positive things to come and of the pitfalls to watch out for. Everyone is different though, I suppose.
Totally agree. I've also found value in the personal connections from joining a "Newcomers Daily Support Thread".
Old 09-28-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

This time around, only SR for me. And it is invaluable. I visit multiple times a day. I have received so much support, information, and good will. For me, this is the best neighborhood in internet city.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

My only support beyond my family has been SR. Ten months sober now.
Old 09-28-2014, 05:31 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I am OK when I live day by day but once I put the word forever in there it seems impossible! But I hear one day at a time is the way we need to do this right.

Hi Happyfree

I so totally agree with you .... I no longer put forever in my vocabulary ... one day at a time and checking in hear regularly is totally what keeps me going ..... so go for it Happyfree