Notices

Who uses SR as their only Support

Old 09-03-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Who uses SR as their only Support

I am wondering how many of you have been able to stay sober with the support of SR alone for a significant amount of time? Not saying this is what I am going to do, just curious as I work through this>
Old 09-03-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

check
Old 09-03-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Realising my life

SR has been my only support (aside from friends and family) and I am now more than 19 months sober. It has been absolutely invaluable to me
Old 09-03-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've found it possible - the support here is amazing....but I always add it takes a lot of work and self commitment, especially in the early period.

Best thing I can advise is, if you're in trouble, learn to reach out here before it's too late.

If ultimately you find you need more than SR there's no shame in that either

D
Old 09-03-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

SR is my primary support and has been for the better part of 2 years. I have been to AA meetings ( mostly earlier ), I read the big book, i've dabbled in AVRT readings and I also have the support of my family.

I think the biggest factor in anyone's success at sobriety is keeping an open mind, and being honest with yourself about whether you are really working to live a sober life or not, regardless of what plan(S) you use.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I personally need the physical fellowship of other alcoholics. While SR is an important part of my lifestyle, I find some of my happiest moments are simple things like sharing a meal with other sober alcoholics. I'm the events coordinator of my group so we do things like go bowling together, go to fun places like karaoke and a trampoline jump house and we're going to the state fair together. To day we are not a glum lot is an understatement. SR is a great place to talk to a huge number of people but alas, I cannot meet a group of you and go out to the movies and dinner together. For me, just SR is where I come when I need something. My sober alcoholics are mostly there to fill the desire I have for friendship and companionship. They lay down some heavy wisdom as well, but it's often the simplicity of having a sober friend physically near that relieves my tension and focuses me on being of service, being a good friend and actively participating in friendship. All this is just a portion of my sober lifestyle.

In short, SR is an amazing tool but I need the physical companionship of other sober alcoholics. They're damn fun and set me on the right path before I even realize that I've strayed.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

24/7 365 days, that's the kind of support I needed in the beginning, SR provided that, if I was reading or posting, I wasn't drinking!!

Things then evolved into not needing much else in the toolbox!!
Old 09-03-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This is good news to me!! Thank you! I am very grateful for the support that has been given to me in the short time I have been posting here. I am hoping with the help from SR I can kick this but will keep an open mind to outside support as well if I feel I need more. Right now, this is very scary to me. I am OK when I live day by day but once I put the word forever in there it seems impossible! But I hear one day at a time is the way we need to do this right.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

I got initial support from AA and for 3 months could not get sober my highest in them 3 months was 18 days

I didn't know what to do out of money out of excuses out of steam

Got sober

Stayed sober

I found Sober recovery just after i hit a year sober just before I turned 13 months

I'll be 14 months on the 14th september
This place is great
Old 09-03-2014, 02:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I use SR, Rational Recovery, AVRT, spiritual/metaphysical reading.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Me too. I read here everyday. For some reason it offers me comfort.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

In the first ~2 months of my sobriety, I used nothing else but SR. I used it in a variety of ways though: posting on the public forums, developing more private 1:1 connections with a few people via PM, and in general just sucking in all the information and advice to be used gradually. I started therapy then and tried AA a bit. After ~6 months in, I began to recognize that the best remedy and approach for me will most likely be balanced interactions with both the virtual connections and my 3D life reality and this is what I plan to do for a while now.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I do.

All SR. Nothing but SR. I know that everyone's needs are different. But this place has kept me sober for a year now. And that makes me profoundly grateful for all of you.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I see a counselor once a month and come to SR every day. It's been keeping me sober for going on five years now.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sr is my only support as well. It has really helped. Its such an easy thing to log on and get help, humor, etc. SR is a 24/7 support network. 2 am mornings when i was self loathing and couldnt sleep there was always someone on.

Thank SR
Old 09-03-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

SR has been my lifeline for years.

I think that this is such a supportive and loving place, and reading here always calms me.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

SR is all that I have used thus far, and it has been working. 79 days of reading the forums has taught me a lot, and offers constant reminders of the positive things to come and of the pitfalls to watch out for. Everyone is different though, I suppose.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

At this stage in my recovery I meet regularly with a therapist as well as check in and actively participate on SR on a daily basis. At some point this may change as I'm always evolving but for right now this is where I need to be.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

It's been enough for me. At first I spent as much time here as I did drinking though.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

SR only...coming up on 7 months. Like Anna said, just reading posts calms me. It also helps me keep sobriety a priority since I do not want to go through the early days again.