Notices

Seriously conflicted

Old 09-03-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by herradura View Post
Bi-Polar I guess, at least that is what the Doctors have said. Non medicated BP. Been medicated but does not agree with me, I don't like being a Zombie.

Deep South I have to assume Alabama who crushed the Irish in the Nat Championship two years ago. Still a little soar about that!!
Appreciate the post!
Diagnosed bipolar? Well that puts things into perspective Have you considered that going back on meds would enable you to stop the drinking? I have often wondered whether I might be Bipolar II (was suggested by a psych to me once), and was binge drinking in an effort to self-medicate, at times. I won't pretend that it was always self-medication though, as I am sure I drank for the hell of it most times

If you are bipolar I highly suggest you get in touch with your doctor and re-consider the meds issue.

And yes, I'm in Alabama
Old 09-03-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Herradura, there will *always* be an excellent reason why you should drink because it's a certain occasion. Birthdays, graduations, engagements, new babies, guys weekend, girls weekend, Friday night, your team won Super Bowl, it's lunchtime....
I'm assuming as you're here, it's not because you have any lack of excuses.. I mean reasons... To drink.
The choice is yours. No one here can tell you to drink or don't. But again, as you're posting on a sober forum, I'd like to think you are choosing to be sober.
So you have choices. You go, and drink. You don't go, and don't drink. Or you go and don't drink.
Some people are good at being in those kinds of situations, some aren't. I can happily not drink when I am in a group (I get in trouble alone). I'm a master of carrying around the perpetually half full glass that is just full enough to let me avoid rougue friendly fillers, and just empty enough so no one realizes that I'm not drinking. It works for me in situations where it's easier to not explain my choice, like certain business engagements. That being said, for some people, a half full glass in their hand is the beginning of the kiss of death.
So, you can choose to not drink. If you're trying to avoid being a buzzkill, you can do as I do. Or, you can scream from the top of the roof that you will NOT be drinking. You can just say no when someone offers you a drink.
If you want to be done drinking, make the changes and commit to it. Own it. But own it for you, not what others may or may not think
Old 09-03-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by herradura View Post
Free owl,

Thanks for the thoughts and I truly appreciate them. Yes I am going to go to the game, I have to, I really do. I am the cook for the whole deal and these guys even though mostly "successful" are lost without their wives.

I booked the trip the same day I got on this site. It has been planned for a whole year, but I did not want to go because I had already traveled enough this year. But I booked it and made the commitment to go. This is where the conflict is, when I commit to being somewhere or doing something I am spot on. Except with drinking, overeating and nicotine gum.

I have a plan and it is to not drink and just go with the flow of things. One of my buddies is bringing in his whole family (not staying with us) and I will hang with him. He is who I want to be, successful financially, but fit and not a problem drinker, great wife and four kids. So that is what I am going to shoot for.

I knew this weekend was coming up for a month, but decided not to "deal" with it until I was ready to head to the airport. Otherwise I would be all screwed around mentally for the whole month in addition to the things I normally worry about.

Thanks again, you are right.

BTW I have barn owls at my ranch and they eat my chickens. I don't mind really because they are so cool. One is almost 3.5 feet tall. He lives in a tree at the end of the property and my kids collect the "pellets" and dissect them.
I'm gonna call friendly BS on your "I have to". There is never a "have to" with something like this. It is a choice and you are making it. There is another choice - to simply not go and to tell your buddies "listen, something else has to take a priority in my life. Have a great time!".

Believe it or not, nobody's world will end if you choose that.

And the only one who will really suffer by going - is you.

I'm just giving you some no-bull owl wisdom.

My mom used to do the owl pellet dissection in her classrooms. She was an elementary teacher and she'd get owl pellets in the forest and have the kids dissect and figure out what critters were in there by pieceing the bones back together.

On a vision fast in the desert, I was visited by an owl.... it became a sort of spirit animal to me....

Been in my life as long as I can remember and appears at milestone times in my journey.

No... no, you do NOT 'have to'.

You are choosing to.

I say that will only the best intent. GO if you choose, but do not take the victim's path. If you go, it is because YOU are choosing to. And you are thereby choosing all of the consequences.... most of which you already are well aware of.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Soberjennie, Sorry you live in Alabama. Just kidding, I love the South, the football team is virtually unbeatable most of the time and have great respect for it. Big fan of Southern cooking especially southern seafood. I love the laid back people. Have a good friend who is from Alabama, sold his textile/carpet mill and moved out to the mountain states. Good people. IRT BP. I have been on all the drugs and choose to not medicate. Just my personal choice as I have tried every damn concoction on earth to be normal. Used to own pharmacies and had access to great drug counsel, the actual pharmacists who understand the drugs much better than the Docs. I have a sister who is bp2 and almost homeless even though she used to be highly successful. She is on meds and does not drink, I am off meds and trying to get off the drink. When I compare the two drinking vrs mental illness, well lets just say I took care of the harder one first. When you are severely mentally ill you cant even make a decision to do or not do something. Most of the time I was so paranoid, anxiety ridden and manic I did not know what the heck was going on. I ran businesses and kept my family together in this state but I don't recommend it. PM me if you want my opinion on the drug your considering taking for BP. I know about them first hand. And all drug affect people differently, but you can expect the same end result.

Free Owl: A vision fast in the desert = my car breaking down without cell service and no food in the car: for me. I appreciate people who are into these types of things and if that works for you I think it is awesome! I like to go into the mountains with nothing but a fishing pole and sleeping bag for three or four days. Gets my head clear, I don't meditate, just think and try to catch enough fish for food and stay warm at night. thanks again.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:50 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Oh, that was about 12 years ago for me, the suggested diagnosis of bipolar 2. But I was drinking throughout those years so its just so hard not to conflate symptoms. Whatever it is I am now it's manageable Must not have really been bipolar after all.

I may be southern bred but I'm actually not a big football fan Nor am I a southern seafood fan! I hate cornbread too. Yeah, I'm not the best representative of "the south" really.

My uncle owned pharmacies in Florida, btw!
Old 09-03-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

I never had a "last drink." I didn't plan when to quit. I didn't say goodbye to alcohol. I just got to a point where i didn't drink the next day. My Higher Power came into my life and struck me sober. The choice was not mine. It happened because i was ready for it to happen and i accepted sobriety into my life.

You'll quit when you're ready and/or desperate enough. Just don't die before then.