Notices

I tried half a beer last night

Old 08-17-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I tried half a beer last night

Day 46 and I am making my world famous Ceviche , From scratch. I used to live in Ecuador , S.A and learned how to make it their way. One of the ingredients is beer , Curiosity got the best of me. I poured myself the rest of the beer and drank it. I half expected myself to freak out , have an anxiety attack or who knows. But I had to do it ! Nothing happened , I was ok ...finished making my ceviche with fresh shrimp , cilantro etc. Had a huge bowl with fresh popcorn ( you eat the ceviche with popcorn , yes )and my bottle of vitamin water and it was a great night.

I do not know if I will never drink moderately again in the future but I know that I will never drink like I did in the past!!

Fortunately for me , I do have the Off button. And I think after this experience the most important thing is taking care of your body!

Anyway I had to share , I feel like a goober because I was seriously scared to try it after 46 days, But I had to find out what would happen.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If it has thought you that you are in control, then it can only be a good thing, but i know I couldn't drink moderately again tbh. Good luck !
Old 08-17-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi. I did things like that when I started to get sober and felt good about such “accomplishments” and then my AV kicked in with the idea I’m OK now and just proved I was overreacting and other such rubbish.
The bottom line for this alcoholic is I don’t pick up ANY alcoholic beverage IF I want to stay sober.
BE WELL
Old 08-17-2014, 11:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have played that deadly game in the past.

Eventually, I would click the trigger on the bullet.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I tried moderation several times too, always failed eventually. It is possible that you are not an alcoholic. Ask yourself this: would a "normal" drinker even give a second thought to drinking half of a beer? And would they then write about it on a alcohol recovery site?
Old 08-17-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all !!

Scott - I was worried because I have not drank for 46 days and once you have anxiety you are scared that anything will cause it. And I see no harm in writing about it here. We are all adults and honest , I wanted to share my experience. Again ...My focus is being and staying healthy.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The problem with 1 drink and stopping is that we can be lead into a false sense of security!!

Spiralling back to the way things were or making the promise that things won't get "as bad" as in the past, is sometimes not something we get to decide, if it's going to happen it will happen anyways, but maybe not on the first drink, but over the coming weeks as we let our guard down!!

This has been my experience, but maybe your experience will be different!!
Old 08-17-2014, 12:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well for me it is lesson learned. I will never drink on the weekends like a maniac again.
Some may not believe that is possible and that you can't have 1 drink and stop.
but we are all different !

I understand the concern and I thank you !
Old 08-17-2014, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
p***enger

Good luck, Trouble. Yes, we're all different, but I think there's a line and once you've crossed it, we're all the same. I had days during my relapse when I didn't drink, or had just one or two. But alcohol was running me (again). Glad it's not like that anymore. Hope it doesn't get that way for you (again).
Old 08-17-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow.The only way I could have done that is if I had 18 more in the fridge and some cold wine..
Old 08-17-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Great responses above, if I can just share my experience too, I up until 3-4 weeks ago was sober for almost 9 months and stupidly thought I could buy some cold beers for the World Cup final, fast forward 2 weeks and I was back to where I was 9 months previous, I applaud you if moderation works for you but please tread with caution as I now know first hand like the guys say it can get worst real quick.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I could never see the point in one drink.

I drank for the buzz. YMMV, Trouble.
Old 08-17-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

As you said, you have an "OFF" button, so there should be no problem for you.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I had 74 days, thanks to antabuse. Stopped taking it for awhile because I thought I didn't need it any more, and then drank some wine. Had 3 days of drinking and then started the antabuse again and haven't had any since. Not sure what that says about me. Maybe I could have stopped again after the 3 days without starting the antabuse again, but I didn't want to find out. I'm just glad I had the willpower to start it again.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Before I got serious about recovery, I could have one or two and stop sometimes, too. In fact, I could do that for a couple of months at the time. However, there would pretty much always come a time when I'd go over my self-imposed limit. Before long, I was right back where I was before I quit.

If you can do it, great; however, I know I couldn't, and I tried multiple times, as I'm sure most here did, also.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I had an off button too but it was stuck in the on position
Old 08-17-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Trouble1234 View Post

.... but I know that I will never drink like I did in the past!!

The vow that attends every return to drinking.

I am not sure what your goal is, Trouble. After your long thread about problem drinkers and moderation the other day, I feared it wasn't sobriety.

If your life was better when you weren't drinking, hope you continue that path.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

What in gods name is the point of a couple of beers apart from a world of obsession and never feeling fulfilled.

Death by a 1000 cuts, sober is so cool drinking is so sheepish

Just my little rant lol
Old 08-17-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ya'll are funny thanks for replying. My goal is to continue my new healthy lifestyle.

Exercising , eating well and not fast food , Vitamins and supplements. Sleeping more and pampering myself.

I have not craved alcohol at all since day one , I think for me I drank socially and to fit in with the crowd I was hanging with. I left that crowd behind....

My life has changed in 47 days , it truly has! But having the option to have a drink if I want to in the future is an option.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trouble1234 View Post

Day 46

I was seriously scared to try it after 46 days, But I had to find out what would happen.

not sure if you can call it 46 days sober anymore

it is all in the eyes of the beholder I guess ??

M-Bob