Notices

I need your support this week

Old 08-15-2014, 02:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Jack,

I find that having a Coke (regular not diet) with dinner takes away about 75% of any craving I have for alcohol. I drink it pretty quickly too. I probably drink four or five by the time dinner is over. I figure it's extra calories but much healthier than booze! Do you order some sort of non-alcohol beverage?
Old 08-15-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I brought with me some becks non alcoholic beer which I have in the room after dinner. I find this helps as it is a great simulation of beer. I have tried non alcoholic wines but they are absolutely dreadful if you are a knowledgable wine drinker and are looking for that full bodied flavour. Non alcoholic wine tastes like diluted quash. I wish someone would see the massive gap in the market to create a wine that tastes like wine but does not contain alcohol, they would make millions.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I did it My holiday is over and I am back home. That was the first holiday that I have been on where I have not drank alcohol. I am starting to really feel the positives of sobriety now. My mood is much more stable and I am sleeping better than I ever have. I've lost a little weight and am generally feeling really positive. Thank you all, for your support.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to hear it! Things do settle down and get so much better as we get used to the new normal.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You were on vacation the same time as me so I just read this. I was going to say remove the alcohol in the room but I guess you got through. I stayed at Beaches a year ago and the room had a minibar with beer and also full bottles of wine, rum, gin and vodka. If faced with that again I would have my husband remove everything. We stayed at Club Med this year, no booze in the room but they came around daily, with a cooler on wheels, and asked what we wanted and we just took some diet sodas and juice.

It's weird, imagine losing weight on holiday, but I think I did! Pretty sure I did but I don't want to go on the scale just yet.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Well done soberjuly it takes an awful lot of will power doesn't it! However now that I have done it I feel that I have really broken down one of the strong holds that alcohol had on me. This is my third attempt in five years to stay away from alcohol so I can not get too pleased with myself. The temptation will always rear it's ugly head. My first attempt was after a stint in rehab, I stayed sober for a year. I stupidly told myself that I had it all under control and therefore could manage the odd drink .... WRONG! Three months later I was a slave again to alcohol. The second attempt was a couple of years later and with a lot less effort and no support. I stopped drinking for about 4 months I think. And this time I have been sober for just coming up to 6 months with the support of this website. I make no promises to anyone but I work incredibly hard on myself each day to stay sober. This website has made a massive difference so far to my recovery. I try to look at it everyday if I can. What really helps me in particular, is reading those stories where people have relapsed. Their regret reminds me that I will only regret it myself if I relapse. I feel very very grateful to have discovered this web site and extremely grateful to those who post on it.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well done, Jackandbess
Old 08-19-2014, 03:45 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Originally Posted by Jackandbess2 View Post
I did it My holiday is over and I am back home. That was the first holiday that I have been on where I have not drank alcohol. I am starting to really feel the positives of sobriety now. My mood is much more stable and I am sleeping better than I ever have. I've lost a little weight and am generally feeling really positive. Thank you all, for your support.
Great xxx
Old 08-19-2014, 04:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I just read this thread! Such a great story.. I was scared after reading that first post with 6 months. Such a great job and adventure, fighting your way through this! It should be much easier for you in any milder situations. I was scared because getting drunk with your wife and children while on vacation would have been horrible to try to fix. Great work and real inspiration. I'm sure I'll be reminded of this story when I'm challenged by a tough situation down the line.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Your honesty is so courageous! When I've felt this way I've always gone to a meeting or called one of my sober friends to talk it out. So you did the right thing by posting here!

When I've craved I've always told myself that "I can drink tomorrow," and by the time tomorrow rolls around I have no desire to drink.

Also, the hotel will remove the mini bar if you call and ask them to.

Hang in there and keep being so strong <3!