Notices

Had my appt with DR

Old 08-11-2014, 08:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Had my appt with DR

Well I had my Dr appointment I had been dreading.. and it was good and bad I guess and left me a little baffled.

Ok so I was totally honest about my drinking, all of it the good, bad and ugly.

I relayed my health fears. Told him that I have had a problem with alcohol since my teeens. I have had bouts of sobriety my longest being 2 years ago and lasting for just over 2 years before I relapsed and decided to try moderation.

Moderation to me was 6-8 drinks (beer,wine) 2-3 times a week

he said well that is more than you should be drinking certainly, not a healthy amount BUT IF YOU WANTED TO HAVE 3-4 DRINKS 2-3 NIGHTS THAT WOULD BE OK.

wait..what?

Do you have any idea what its like to have a Dr tell a struggling alcoholic that really they aren't that bad,...they aren't concerned with your health especially that they don't feel you have caused any signifigant damage and its ok to go ahead and have 3-4 drinks and it wont hurt????

OK so I was relieved that he wasn't concerned about my health worries, he thought it was great im eating better and exercising and will check with me in 3-6 months and do bloodwork then just to ease my mind didn't feel I needed it done now since I had some done 1 yr ago and it was all good.\

I don't know im so confused and you cant imagine how my mind is reeling now...saying things like "well maybe im not that bad? the dr isn't worried?" Jesus , Im glad to have the relief but its like he might as well have poured me a drink right there in his office..

and BREATHEEEEE
Old 08-11-2014, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Non alcoholics really don't understand. My doctor has a child who has been imprisoned due to alcohol and still offers me benzos even knowing my past addictions. This is an Ivy League educated doctor, too.

Maybe you could insist on the blood tests. Try another doc if you don't feel confident. I found with my doctor I have to be in charge - they only see me for fifteen minutes once a year - it's my health.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know how you feel because my doctor says almost the exact same thing to me. I like non-reactive, low key doctors, but mine doesn't think I have a problem either. However, I know I have a problem and that's all that matters. I live in my head and my body...my doctor doesn't and neither does the doctor you saw. You don't need permission to drink and you don't need permission to be sober. They are both your choice. Take the awesome news of your health and run with that to stay sober because I think that sober is really what you want. This is wonderful news Carrie.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did question him extensively about the bloodwork and that was when he said ok you are eating healthy and exercising daily and nbot drinking lets see how that looks in 3-6 months and I will do bloodwork for you then because now based on your bloodwork from last year being perfect and the amount you are telling me you drink im not at all concerned that you require any bloodwork, you are doing everything you should be now. Ok I have anxiety disorder and like the feeling of relief I want to hang onto that and believe in him I just wasn't expecting him to say hey you can have a few.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I do want sobriety... I feel like im getting a second chance and I need to take it, and your right he is meeting me for the very first time he doesn't know the struggles with alcohol in my head. When he said that to me the AV screamed inside my head "YES HE SAID I CAN DRINK" that scares me, its a constant fight.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, well, that's what you said in the first post.

You can either relax about it or insist or find another doctor.

I'll bet you're fine. The anxiety thing is in your head - worrying about "what if" is not a good way to live. If you've been honest with the doctor then maybe let it go for 3-6 months. The body heals amazingly well.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you I do appreciate it my head is just swimming a bit..i have been living under high alert anxiety/panic for weeks now leading up to this apt, just feeling a little overwhelmed
Old 08-11-2014, 08:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It sure is a constant fight and you have to fight for what you want and that is your sobriety. I could have easily written your post I would love to have a few drinks and maintain my sobriety at the same time.....that is not going to happen for me since I've tried to live my life this way and I cannot. Stay your sober course Carrie.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I guess he just wasn't factoring in the issue of whether someone could moderate or not!!

The guidelines are pretty black and white and assume everyone can stop at the recommended threshold!!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How long have you been currently sober? this might factor in to why he did not order bloodwork (along with justification to your insurance company). if you have any SPECIFICS, pain, ailments, call back and ask for him to run a liver panel (LFTs are liver function tests) and then if they are abnormal, he would refer you to a Hepatologist or nephrologist if it is a specific kideny issue

If you feel well, have been sober for the last couple of months, have no specific illness and are functioning like a regular person, good diet and exercise and everything was normal last year, that is what he is basing his DX on.

Are you specifically feeling ill? normal bodily functions? good appetite? He felt for swelling in your liver and there was none or he would have ordered a liver panel.

stay away from alcohol and Dr. Google, but if there is a specific issue that is causing you pain, call back and simply ask that he run the blood work up NOW instead. also, your insurance might not approve the testing and be prepared to pay for it out of pocket.

your anxiety is understandable, but the longer you are sober, you'll be thankful for this good news
Old 08-11-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have admitted my alcoholism to three doctors now. One in 2003 and the other two were recent.

None of them seemed all that interested. No questions on how much I drank or how often. One of the recent ones did do a blood test but that is because I had symptoms of diabetes. It checked out fine. I think the issues I was having was due to withdrawal.

The third doctor I have now is because the old one retired but she also did not seem interested. I think because they know that they can’t do anything. I mean there are some medications like Antabuse and of course if you have signs of depression they can give you something but either you are going to drink or you are not going to drink, they really have no say in the matter.

If you are walking into their office I think they feel that your alcoholism is not that bad. They are not seeing you in the emergency room. Of course they are not seeing us at home in a drunken state either. If they did then they would offer more assistance but they are a medical doctor, they can only do so much before our bodies wear out.

My ex-husband made several visits to the hospital because of his alcoholism. They gave him medications and told him never to drink again or he would die. He drank again and he died. They can only do so much.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Did you mention your anxiety to your doctor? Or have you ever seen anyone about it?
Old 08-11-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh absolutely yes I mentioned it and we discussed treatment options. I have been dealing with anxiety/panic disorder for years, its exhausting and sometimes all consuming Im open to treatment options always and he offered some new therapy strategies so its something I will be working on as well.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carrie36 View Post
I do want sobriety... I feel like im getting a second chance and I need to take it, and your right he is meeting me for the very first time he doesn't know the struggles with alcohol in my head. When he said that to me the AV screamed inside my head "YES HE SAID I CAN DRINK" that scares me, its a constant fight.
I would be frustrated as well, especially since you essentially poured your heart to him - admitted something I am sure you didn't want to admit to a physician - and he told you it's no big deal. I think part of the issue (I realize I am projecting here, this would be the issue for me) is that right now, sobriety is a delicate balance. I have a hard enough time keeping myself convinced that this is the best path - this difficult and frustrating path - that if someone "who knows better" told me they didn't think there was a problem, well then hell, there must not be! They know best, right!? But, as a PP said... they don't know you, only you know you and why this is the best thing for you and your health. And, having read that alcohol makes anxiety worse, there is a good chance that being sober will help that in the short/long run as well. Best of luck to you, and try not to let that know-nothing doc get into your head!!

ETA: I also meant to add. The sobriety journey right now is somewhat all-encompassing in my thoughts (and maybe yours as well?), so part of the frustration, I would imagine, is having all of that head-space and focus invalidated.

Last edited by 080514; 08-11-2014 at 12:55 PM. Reason: additional thoughts...
Old 08-11-2014, 01:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You absolutely nailed it thank you that's exactly what I was feeling.

I know that I need to do this once and for all, I need my health and I need relief from the anxiety. Im taking some really good steps and it feels right, im not going to let his dismissiveness derail what I know is my truth.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That is why people get a second opinion! Doctors don't usually have any special education for addiction issues unless they choose that as their particular field of care. Your average GP's response can be all over the map, from utterly uninformed, to vaguely interested to informed and helpful.
If you were to book an appointment with a doctor in an outpatient addiction treatment program, you would gt a totally different response!
Just chalk it up to his inexperience with addiction issues.

It could have been quite different. My doctor went into combat mode: when I told her I was worried about my drinking, she immediately scheduled me for blood work and handed me a referral to an outpatient program. No messing around with moderation or maybe I can drink. She would have none of that!
She also scheduled our next appointment for "after I started treatment" and when the blood work came back.