Notices

Hey.....I quit temporarily.....I feel great....now what?

Old 08-01-2014, 08:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey.....I quit temporarily.....I feel great....now what?

Originally Posted by Adenough View Post
Gronk... Your post sounds as if you're describing me at any family events. Do you really feel better so quick after stopping?
OK here is the story, I have been sneaking alcohol, for YEARS now (it is ridiculous) but have managed to keep the amounts down, relatively speaking. Binge like mad for for a couple of hours and stop. I would bring a limited amount home, but my limited amount kept getting bigger.

When I went out to drink, I have been drinking faster and faster.

Anyway, after getting caught (again) things came to a head recently. Not quite, stop or move out, but my wife was very upset (again).

I told her I was going to quit for a month plus, and then retry to moderate. She said she was not going to keep track, not look after, it was up to me.

ANYWAY, many aspects of my life involve booze. Many, many. (just not the real important parts) So I am on day 10 of my planned temporary sobriety, and I feel really good. Relationship great of course, but I have faked my way into that many times, but the unanticipated thing is........I feel really good.

My mind is clear, I can function mentally at a higher level. My memory has improved. My power of recall has improved. My ability to speak extemporaneously in front of groups of people presenting has improved.

I have this big party tomorrow where I will be surrounded by alcohol, and I'm not even worried, about the alcohol or the looks I might be getting. I'm going away on Sunday to a place where I would drink and sneak booze. Not going to and not really worried (much) about it.

SO my PLAN was to stay dry for a month. NOW what do I do?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

You feel better when you don't drink. I would stick with what is working.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
You sounds like an intelligent person who has a lot going for him. Why would you want to dumb that down by going back to drinking? Seriously, why? Is there even one good valid reason?

What do you do now?! It's a no brainier. Enjoy a great life!
Old 08-01-2014, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It's great that you feel good.

Originally Posted by Gronk View Post
SO my PLAN was to stay dry for a month. NOW what do I do?
Do? Prepare for the weeks to come and the many challenges to sobriety. I think your intentions are to be dry for a month. That's a goal. I don't know if you have a plan to achive that.

If you are going to be around alcohol in the near future you have better come up with a plan to deal with the inevitable struggles, what you are going to explain to people who try to press you to drink. And because you have been a sneaky drinker, what you are going to maintain the personal integrity to not cheat.

Good Luck.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What do you do? Just don't drink!
You feel WAY better, your relationship has improved, obviously your confidence has improved if your speaking in front of groups and feeling good about it.. seems like the answer is clear, just dont start drinking again! (I know I know its way easier said then done) 10 days is great. And if you were sneaking and binging, thats never good. Just stay strong and don't let yourself believe that you can drink in moderation. I've done that SO many times. Seriously, since I was a teen, then in my early 20s. Finally at 30, its like who am I kidding. If I was capable of drinking in moderation, wouldnt I have done it years ago? Good luck and keep us posted on how your doing!!
Old 08-01-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Read your own post again. From my perspective, it sounds like everything about being sober is better than what you were doing. Seems like a no brainer to me that you'd wanna stick with what works!
Old 08-01-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site Gronk.

Do you really need to go to the party? For me this would be a major meltdown.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No I don't have to go, but I will be with wife and kid and there will be others who don't drink and I will be hanging with them.......not going to be as much fun, but I have come to realize, I can't handle this kind of fun anymore. I'm good for two or three then.......I'm all done. Drink as much and as fast as possible. This happened gradually over a period of about 15 years.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The "fun" isn't fun anymore.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think you know the answer. Welcome to SR. I am glad you have joined us. I love being sober. I never remember saying, I love being drunk and stupid. Maybe it is time to set a long term goal.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by huntingtontx View Post
I never remember saying, I love being drunk and stupid. Maybe it is time to set a long term goal.
That's so true.

Thanks to all by the way.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds like you've found the solution before things got to out of hand. Unless you really, really liked the drinking, sneaking around you...then don't drink! It's okay to be 'that' guy. The cool guy that doesn't need alcohol!
Old 08-01-2014, 11:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ditto Nonsensical
Old 08-01-2014, 12:02 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If Sobriety has improved your life, then keep it going!!
Old 08-01-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EndGame

The thing about people who's goal is to "feel better" and then go ahead and base their decisions on such feelings is that feelings always and inevitably change. "Feeling better" is par for the course for many in early sobriety, but it's not a plan for continuous sobriety. And feeling better when we stop for ten days is not a remedy for sneaking behaviors and other lies and deceptions.

If I didn't change myself and significant parts of my life, I'd never have stayed sober.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ultradad View Post
Sounds like you've found the solution before things got to out of hand. Unless you really, really liked the drinking, sneaking around you...then don't drink! It's okay to be 'that' guy. The cool guy that doesn't need alcohol!
inspired this:
Huey Lewis And The News - Hip To Be Square - YouTube
Old 08-01-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ultradad View Post
Hey, I like that......."The cool guy that doesn't need alcohol"
Old 08-01-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
The thing about people who's goal is to "feel better" and then go ahead and base their decisions on such feelings is that feelings always and inevitably change. "Feeling better" is par for the course for many in early sobriety, but it's not a plan for continuous sobriety. And feeling better when we stop for ten days is not a remedy for sneaking behaviors and other lies and deceptions.

If I didn't change myself and significant parts of my life, I'd never have stayed sober.
Good point.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
EndGame

It's a normal reaction to feel good about things and about yourself when you first put down the drink. It would be a shame to throw that away by not being active in sustaining your sobriety, which generally means making a plan and acting on it.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

"ANYWAY, many aspects of my life involve booze. Many, many. (just not the real important parts)"
confused me here. not just the real important parts?

"SO my PLAN was to stay dry for a month. NOW what do I do?"
lost me. if yer plan is to stay dry for a month, wouldn't "now what do I do" be stay dry?

sober is a lot better than dry.