Notices

day 15.. Question!!

Old 08-01-2014, 02:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 15.. Question!!

Today has been a real struggle. Between legal issues due to my dui july of last year and between arguing with my mother about the smallest things.

My anxiety has been through the ROOF. I have been prescribed xanax for panic attacks and anxiety the past few years and I am not sure if I am still going through alcohol withdrawals or if it is a benzo withdrawal?? a little over 2 weeks in and I didn't think that my anxiety would be so awful! I can't even look someone in the eye because my social anxiety is SOOOO bad. It feels like I am literally going crazy!! It's hard to explain but it feels like when I look at someone my anxiety sky rockets and I immediately look away because I feel like I am going schizo or something!! It feels like I look at people funny or something it's soooo hard to explain.. I just wish someone could relate...
This morning I woke up with sweaty hands and AWFUL anxiety.

Mind you, I have had Generalized anxiety disorder, panic attacks and OCD for the past 6 1/2 years.

I was wanting to see opinions on this?? I have built a tolerance to the xanax and actually have to take more than is prescribed so I'm not sure if that means I am addicted? Or if it is still withdrawal effects from alcohol.

Thanks for listening in advance.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

2 weeks is still early days in Sobriety, the body needs time to adjust and heal, after years of drinking, weeks may not be enough to see a real difference, months may be more realistic!!

You've been on and off trying to get Sober over the last few months, the body won't get a proper chance to adjust and sort itself out without a substantial go and period of time at Sobriety, going back to alcohol just continues the body's dependence on it!!

The withdrawals for everyone can be rough at the start, but we need to somehow push through, and break the cycle, in order to taste the longer term benefits!!

You can do this!!
Old 08-01-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, anxiety sucks big time. I get it too. Makes me get paranoid too eek! I've never been prescribed anything because I didn't want to get addicted so can't offer advice there but not drinking def helps. Have you tried CBT? I've heard great stuff about it. Well done for posting when struggling
Old 08-01-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I see my therapist for the first time August 8th. I can't tell you how thrilled I am to meet her!! I am hoping that she will then set me up with an appointment for the psychiatrist so that way I can get on some sort of medicine for my longterm anxiety.. I heard good things about Celexa and Cymbalta so I am hoping that I will get on something of that sort.

I definitely do not want to be addicted to Benzos. I am taking them for my anxiety so I can do my daily activities. This morning I couldn't even go into the gas station to get me a drink because my nerves! I felt like if I looked at someone that I felt like a freak for being so anxious and when I look at someone I feel like I just look at them funny? Maybe it's just paranoia. It gets a lot better when I take a xanax, but as many has said, I do not want to replace one addiction with another.

That is why I am wondering if it is benzo withdrawal or alcohol. *SIGH* I read and they both have basically the same withdrawal symptoms.

I have tried meditation techniques as well as exercise to try and ease the anxiety symptoms.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's horrible isn't it? When I'm super anxious I kind of feel detached from reality. Mine has decreased so much after just a month but I can go into full on hyperventilating at its worst. It's still early days 2 weeks in, every day you'll feel a little bit better and they add up. The therapist is a great choice.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're seeing a Therapist.

Do ask them about the anxiety...and the Xanax too - addicted or not, taking more than directed is not an optimal situation, kmae

D
Old 08-01-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have had anxiety issues since my teenage years and panic attacks, too.

There are some good books that helped me to deal with it without using medication.

"From Panic to Power" by Lucinda Bassett
"When Panic Attacks" by David Burns MD
Old 08-01-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job on two weeks. I hope the therapist can help. The early days are hard, but it does get better. You can do this.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I know I have said this before, but I am FED UP with alcohol withdrawals. Detox last year I lasted 13 days when my friends asked me to go out and drink with them. I went through professional detox, so maybe that's why my anxiety is more out of control than it was then because I did the detox at home. I learned what they prescribed in the hospital so I "felt" like I knew what I was doing while detoxing. I've been drinking lots of water and exercising, trying to eat healthier, meditation techniques.

Is this normal to have this sort of social anxiety where I can hardly make eye contact with people without having a panic feeling??
Old 08-01-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

=======> My first two weeks my anxiety was bad , I could not stand noises, lights, couldn't watch movies or hear music. Much less see people and participate in real life. What I think you are feeling is like a detachment feeling around people and then you panic, it is def. anxiety.
It affects us all differently ... I still feel when I drive and in a store or with people kinda dream like , out of touch with reality a bit. Lights are too bright and everything is alive.

I think in time it will pass and you will begin to feel normal again and grounded , able to talk to people and socialize without panicking. Unfortunately it takes time and I do not know about you but I am not a patient person

I am at 30 days tomorrow !!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi kmae…I detoxed off of Klonopin as well as alcohol last summer. It has a longer half life than Xanax but it is a benzo too. I had been on a lot for a long time. Benzo withdrawal can be protracted…both alcohol and benzos are downers so when you remove both your system is going to be extra sensitive to everything for a while. Sadly, this is why people tend to relapse. For me, the fact that my therapist helped managed my expectations of what the process would be like helped a lot.

In a way it feels like coming out of a cave after spending years in muffled darkness. Even though we are among the living, when we are using everything is insulated by the booze/drugs. It gets better, I promise. Feeling conspicuous was one of the most uncomfortable feelings for me in early sobriety, similar to the way you felt at the gas station this am.

I would suggest being gentle with yourself and limit situations if you can that will cause undue stress. There is no need to be a rock star in early sobriety. It is great that you have a therapist appt in a few days. I think having someone who can help you work through the early period is really helpful. Congrats on your sober time!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Trouble1234 View Post
=======> My first two weeks my anxiety was bad , I could not stand noises, lights, couldn't watch movies or hear music. Much less see people and participate in real life. What I think you are feeling is like a detachment feeling around people and then you panic, it is def. anxiety.
It affects us all differently ... I still feel when I drive and in a store or with people kinda dream like , out of touch with reality a bit. Lights are too bright and everything is alive.

I think in time it will pass and you will begin to feel normal again and grounded , able to talk to people and socialize without panicking. Unfortunately it takes time and I do not know about you but I am not a patient person

I am at 30 days tomorrow !!
congrats on 30 days!!!!! I'm just taking it day by day. That's really all you can do!! I have hope and determination to finally kick this to the curb. This feeling just isn't worth it!! I am just so ready to be me again. I used to be so outgoing and talk to everyone. Hopefully sooner than later I will be back to my 'normal' self. I also am not a patient person! I have been trying to keep myself occupied so that way I won't worry or have time to think about alcohol or the withdrawal symptoms.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 weeks! I hope your anxiety decreases as your body becomes accustomed to it's new "normal" without alcohol.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you !!! Keep your head up message me anytime !! We both can kick this anxiety to the CURB

Wooo hooo