Notices

The dreaded weekend!

Old 08-01-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The dreaded weekend!

Brand new here and only on day two. I'm now dreading the weekend as that is always associated with copious amounts of beer for me and has been as long as I can remember. That said I have been drinking almost daily for a long long time. I always used to say to myself I will start Monday but then on Monday I'd be so anxious I'd need more beer to stop the anxiety. That's the reason I've decided that yesterday was the day. I'm already sitting here worrying what I'm going to do to get through till Monday but I'm so determined this time. Have been getting loads of inspiration from SR but never had the guts to post till now. I honestly think after 20+ years of drinking this is it for me. I'm under no illusions that I'm in for the fight of my life but I feel ready.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

YEY!!! Welcome Adenough... I'm probably not the best person to give advice as I have just recently relapsed but you're in a great place... Stick with it here & you will find loads of support..
Old 08-01-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks jezza the letter from your daughter had me I tears.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The first weekend is the hardest, the first step is the scariest. But there's something they don't teach you about fear, if you go through it and push yourself you will grow stronger, making it easier as days pass by.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-01-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, Adenough!

Why not come and join us on the Weekend thread for support for the weekend? It's here on the Newcomers forum, called Back to Basics Weekend Thread 1 - 3 August.

There's lots of support and inspiration here, stick around!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks to you both. The weekend thread sounds good will defo give it a look
Old 08-01-2014, 06:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is my second weekend......I have a huge family party I am obligated to attend............going to be CASES of beer and GALLONS of booze........and lots of people drunk. (I have been looking forward to this for months)

BUT.....I'm not going to fight the urge, which is there, I'm simply not going to drink. Period. That is it. It is going to be weird, the only thing I know I can expect is, not drinking. So, that is the one thing I am not worried about.

I plan on having a great time, sober. Will I be hanging around 5 steps from the bar polishing off a beer every 5 minutes? No, what exactly will I do? No quite sure, as mentioned, the only thing I know is, I am not going to drink. (sorry if I hijacked your post.)

I mentioned it before, but I did a little research when at the store regarding vitamins, and picked up B-complex vitamins. Not sure if it made a difference, but it made me feel better because I was trying.

You can do it, I have and I feel great. It is really weird.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Welcome! The first weekend is a doozey alright. 2 things that helped me were

☀️ having specific plans with non drinking friends. All the stuff I had out in the 'lame' bucket.

☀️being really conscious of my inability to deal with any kind of adversity. Get lost on a hike? DRINK!! Ehhh no that's prob not what normal people do. So I had to learn, like a person new to earth, how normal people deal with adversity (and fun and anger and frustration etc &#128515.

It's a trip. I promise.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. As you probably have read this avoidance of alcohol is usually not an easy thing as our background in drinking must be altered.
To me if someone really wants to stop there are a number of things required with about any chosen path picked as there is no soft easy way out.
First we need to get honest with our self about our drinking AND accept we cannot drink in safety. The objective is to get sober for our selves, the family, jobs, and jackpots will get better with time usually.

Way back when, I picked the only show in town which was AA and I had my problems staying stopped.
Eventually I got sick and tired of being sick and tired and decided to follow the directions of the more experienced in sobriety. Going to a lot of meetings, 2 a day, was for me the way to go as the vital info I needed was there and not in my head or watching TV or with the people I hung with. I heard “keep coming”, we don’t pick up the first drink, think of NOT drinking, get someone to ask questions, get involved, help others and always KEEP COMING.
Getting and staying sober is an on going process and requires changes we probably don’t like but the results are a hugely benefit for all involved.
I’ll add that it takes that four letter word TIME.

BE WELL
Old 08-01-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gronk... Your post sounds as if you're describing me at any family events. Do you really feel better so quick after stopping?
Old 08-01-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

At some point we have to get off the alcohol merry-go-round, I had good intentions of quitting at certain times of the week or year, but then I'd need alcohol to feel better, due to withdrawals.

The reality is withdrawals will happen, it's gonna take effort to get through them, but things will then improve, but we have to take that first step!!

You can do this!!
Old 08-01-2014, 08:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Adenough View Post
Gronk... Your post sounds as if you're describing me at any family events. Do you really feel better so quick after stopping?
Yes I do. It is weird, and scary, because I really didn't plan on stopping forever. I am going to start a new post right now.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome, you have made a great decision! When i first stopped drinking i made a daily plan of activities to keep myself / my mind busy. Too much free time always led to thoughts of drinking so i did pretty much anything just to get through the day; exercise, reading, reaching out to other people if i was struggling, etc. The first few weeks are tough but it will get a little bit easier each day. You'll find tons of support here. Glad you've joined us.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

How are you doing Adenough?

D
Old 08-01-2014, 05:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am also recently on path to sobriety - I have spent 15 years with every weekend revolving around drinking and getting drunk and typically having at least a couple drinks every day even during the week. I am so tired of my life being controlled by drinking - stay strong and know you aren't the only one struggling to get through a weekend! I'm right there with ya - I got drunk this past Saturday and decided last Sunday this would be the last day I'd feel like crap from a hang over hopefully for awhile if I can help it ... I want to see what life would be like as an adult trying out sobriety as the norm in my life. Maybe one day I can learn to be a responsible drinker, but for now, I definitely don't feel like I can be especially while I'm trying to quit smoking cigarettes too! Try to find something to keep your hands busy - find a hobby - get away from the triggers even if it means telling your family and friends to let you have some space if you need it... get out and get some exercise - go for a walk or a hike anything to get your mind off of obsessing over it... Good luck to you!
Old 08-01-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Every time you beat temptation you get stronger.

Maybe one day I can learn to be a responsible drinker,
Responsible drinkers don't even have to think about it. You can't 'learn' to drink responsibly if you're an alcoholic. I've tried and failed too many times.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Adenough- Wecome!! My name is Lisa and this is my fourth weekend where I will be sober. It gets easier, I am pleased to report. Like you, I was a daily drinker for more years than I even care to say. I actually forgot it was Friday today- and never even considered that having alcohol this weekend is an option. Once you really, truly decide you no longer drink, it makes all the difference in the world. The first 10 days were a bit rough, but each day now I feel better, clearer, sharper and more energetic. You can too!

This is a great place to be, full of great stories, wonderful support and very smart and experienced people, many of whom have years and years of sobriety. Read as much as you can and post often!

You can do it.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gronk View Post

You can do it, I have and I feel great. It is really weird.

This cracked me up, Gronk. Because I think it's really weird, too!! Who knew?
Old 08-01-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's so good to have you with us Adenough.

I agree with MrPhil that the first weekend is the hardest. It won't always be this difficult & challenging. Posting & reading here really helps with anxiety. You're going to do this.