Notices

A "petty" sober weekend thread! July 25th - 27th!!!

Old 07-27-2014, 08:12 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Nobody asked me for movie reviews, but....I've seen Budapest Hotel, really liked it! One of the few movies I rented and watched all the way through. Some other good ones I've liked are Dallas Buyer's Club and Her. Also, a couple good horror movies I've seen recently: "Afflicted" (sort of an under-the-radar film) and "Enemy" with Jake Gylenhaal. Yeeps.

Off to bed here shortly south of the border. The week-long City Fair is coming to a close this evening, so it will be nice to have things quiet down around here next week. There a couple mosquitoes in the house and I can hear them...but I can't find them. Grrr. I'm a bit annoyed, but more likely I'm just tired. Time to hit the hay.

Good to see some familiar faces and as always some new ones also. Thanks for helping me through the weekend as always, gang. Until next time!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:40 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

This type of thing is quite common because, you see, I live in Massachusetts. And my dog is neutered. His girlfriend is neutered as well.
As for dogs, as Groucho wisely said, "Outside of a dog, a good book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's much too dark to read..."

W.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:38 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Thanks BigS for your comment on the movie. I hope you find your mosquitoes before bed. I hate that whining in the dark when you know you will get bitten.

Ready to turn in. Back to work. I was looking at more kitchen designs and thinking how silly it all seems. Informal French kitchens. Is there a formal French kitchen where you can never cook or make a mess but merely show off your exquisite design taste? Like formal living rooms with plastic covers on the furniture? What's next? Formal bathrooms? Sheesh. Bedtime. I'm getting too sarcastic.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:24 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Well, today I experienced a humongous sober victory. An entire wonderful day in the sunshine was spent from start to finish with an historically challenging crowd. Not one drop of alcohol for me. I did it my way and it works!

Absolutely am in love with all your wonderful pets. That Fandy looks like a personality and a half. What a squishy mop of cat hair! Thanks for sharing all the pics and stories of the cuties this weekend everyone.

It's the wee hours of the Monday so I need to reluctantly sign off. Ruby, about that kitchen - I always love sitting, drinking coffee and chit-chatting in other people's kitchens. Other people's are the best.

Thanks to everyone who hung out this weekend and shared a bit. Love it here and cannot wait for the next shared sober weekend. See you everyone!

Old 07-28-2014, 01:49 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post

My freedom from the obsession to drink brings rewards that are limited only by my imagination.

You can do this.
Love this.

Monday morning here, still strong and sober. Thanks again, all, for a great thread.

See you all next weekend.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:16 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Mhubbard! Welcome to SR! Hope you will continue to join in and reach out for help. This is an awesome place full of very cool people that want to help.

Wow! One of the best times on the weekender. I loved the pet pictures! Clearly our animals affect us and how we deal with things. I don't know how I would be without my two buddies. They offer me so much. I can offer them a sober care taker who dosent forget to feed them.

Before I head off to work I thought I would include one last picture of Henry. I just finished brushing him and took the hair and put it on his head Trump style. Lol

You're Fired!
Old 07-28-2014, 02:51 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Hmmmm, perhaps there is some crazy cat lady in your personality there Weasey?
Congrats on the milage...I have been slacking, but I have very clean rugs, floors, that was a big job to do.
Great weekend theme thread, very helpful.
Can't wait to see what is up your sleeve for next weekend! Your threads give everyone a place to land and a distraction to get through.
Now excuse me, I have 5 hungry cats circling like sharks...and a dog to walk.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

see if this works - since there were comments on this guy already...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
smallfriend.jpg (39.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-28-2014, 05:36 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

dog on paddle board

okay. try this one last time. I am figuring out how to edit photos. I wanted to share this with you all. That orange kayak in the upper right is Mrs Brain paddling into the cove. I have no idea who this dog is, but he's a pretty cool dog.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
dogonboard.jpg (80.4 KB, 48 views)
Old 07-28-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Weekend's over.

Despite a busy weekend, Day 20 today. If you'd asked me 21 days ago if I could go without drinking for 20 days, I'd look at you like you had an arm growing out of your ass.

Wife's uncle tried to get me to drink a few times this weekend:
"Want a beer?"
"Want some wine?"
"Sure you don't want a beer?"

Really, it wasn't that tough. My DH even said to me yesterday that she could not believe how long I'd gone without a drink.

See y'all next weekend.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:35 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
Kevin, how did you like the Lego movie? And how is hotel Budapest? I was thinking of seeing it.
Ruby, I liked the Lego movie, but it seemed to go by too fast for me to appreciate the scenery and the little side jokes. I didn't care for the live-action interruption.

Grand Hotel Budapest I really enjoyed although there were some very minor things I didn't like. It's colorful, whimsical, stylized, humorous (although it treats some dark matter) and shows a great appreciation for storytelling.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:43 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Kevin, I didn't like the live action interruption the first time I saw the movie but it grew on me. Plus seeing it a second time I caught more of the side jokes.

Dark humor is almost my favorite kind so maybe I should check out Hotel Budapest.

We appear to be clinging to the weekend thread on Tuesday - I'm all for it.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Appended to the bottom: Room at the Top