Notices

I hate "how are you?"

Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I used to have an old dude neighbor..who would greet me like this..."What are you doing?"

It didn't know if he was asking me what my current job was or what i was actually doing that very second

but I knew it really was an angry man making no sense. trying to start something..one time i said.."your daughter" under my breath got in my car and drove off
Old 07-24-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by caboblanco View Post
I used to have an old dude neighbor..who would greet me like this..."What are you doing?"

It didn't know if he was asking me what my current job was or what i was actually doing that very second

but I knew it really was an angry man making no sense. trying to start something..one time i said.."your daughter" under my breath got in my car and drove off
That's seriously funny.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:50 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chloe2t View Post
Why do people Ask this useless question?????
They ask because it's become custom and considered polite; although, you are correct, people usually don't really want to know how you are. They just expect a "I'm fine" response. But . . . I'm sure there are a few people who are genuinely concerned with your well-being when they ask the question.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

It's just a formality and an extended way of saying hello. but, later on in the conversation, you might get: "Sooooo, how are things, really, anyway?" and THEN you can tell people how you really feel.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Whenever someone asked me "How are you?" while I was drinking I was worried that they could tell I was hungover. I had a huge secret and was worried that people knew. I also knew that "how I was" was terrible. I was in stuck in a hellish cycle of wake, hungover, get through the day, and then drunk. I was doing horribly. Now I can honestly say "fine."
Old 07-27-2014, 09:41 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

of course i realize its a custom, i was just ranting,lol. i love the replies though!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

When I first moved to the UK from Eastern Europe, it was really confusing, let me tell you. Over there, nobody asks, and if he did, he'd receive either an honest answer, or a curt, angry dismissal. Took some getting used to. Its a thing particular to Anglo cultures, I believe.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Trudgin

My pat answer usually changes the subject -

I am a little depressed and hearing voices, other than that I am well! And you??