Notices

I hate "how are you?"

Old 07-23-2014, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I hate "how are you?"

Sorry to be negative, but I hate this question.... Nobody really wants to hear how you really are! What if I answered honestly?

" I am crawling out of my skin... I feel like there is a weight on my chest, blocking my breath. I am incompetent, my kids are depending on someone who can't manage the slightest yaks of life without craving an escape... Are they utterly screwed having only me? Why am I even on this planet? I feel utterly useless, completely without justification for the air I breathe"

Why do people Ask this useless question?????
Old 07-23-2014, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
aka In 'n Out

I'd love to see the look on their face if you actually said all that!!
Old 07-23-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Back in the day when people didn't have communication devices, when someone would come to visit, they would ask, "How be you?" before coming close.

That was back when there wasn't modern medicine either, so if someone was sick, you wouldn't want to get too close.

I think it's okay to leave out details in reply - unless you feel the need to unburden yourself.

Hope you feel better.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Where I come from, it's the same as saying hello, it's not a literal thing, people I guess at the coffee machine or water cooler at work need some small talk to fill that silence.

I save the real details of life for the closer people in my life, the people who actually want to hear or care what is going on.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used to hate small talk, too. And I really sucked at it when I was younger.

I have a few friends with whom we actually answer that question honestly and in detail because we know the other is genuinely interested. We are also generally interested in how you're feeling here on SR
Old 07-23-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's simply a greeting, and I agree, most people don't really want to know.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chloe2t View Post
Sorry to be negative, but I hate this question.... Nobody really wants to hear how you really are! What if I answered honestly? " I am crawling out of my skin... I feel like there is a weight on my chest, blocking my breath. I am incompetent, my kids are depending on someone who can't manage the slightest yaks of life without craving an escape... Are they utterly screwed having only me? Why am I even on this planet? I feel utterly useless, completely without justification for the air I breathe" Why do people Ask this useless question?????
If someone asked me how I am today (which I just realized no one did) I would say: "I'm WONDERFUL! I'm so freakin happy I've been whistling "zippity do dah" out of my ass all day! Haha. Just kiddin. You could also say your "FINE" when people ask how you are.

What "FINE" really means:
F--d up
Insecure
Neurotic
Emotional

Lol. Hang in there!

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-23-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Face to face is often a different thing, but rest assured that if I ask that here, I really want to know Chloe

D
Old 07-23-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
If someone asked me how I am today (which I just realized no one did) I would say: "I'm WONDERFUL! I'm so freakin happy I've been whistling "zippity do dah" out of my ass all day! Haha. Just kiddin. You could also say your "FINE" when people ask how you are. What "FINE" really means: F--d up Insecure Neurotic Emotional Lol. Hang in there! Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Love that
Old 07-23-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone I was just having a moment
Old 07-23-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I usually answer that question honestly. And that consists of a long story, letting them know each and every thing that I am feeling. For those that truly are not interested, they usually learn quickly and stop asking me
Old 07-23-2014, 05:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I hate the question also. What it really means to me (depending on who asks), are you drinking again.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Low

Wow....wishing all you who "hate" just a simple greeting some serenity today...
Old 07-23-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Lmao!! If I have my mom over and I happen to still be in pajamas without makeup/hair done, she gives me this sad concerned look and rubs my shoulder and asks "awww honey how are you? Are you okay?" I know shes concerned but it makes me want to kick her out of my house lol!! (Me and my mom are best friends I'd never actually send her home) and its not necessarily because she's worried about my drinking, shes more or less saying"why do you look like s***?"
Old 07-23-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It's a way of acknowledging your existence. I would take it as a good thing. Glass half full, or empty kind of thing. Everything, I am finding, is relative based on how well I am addressing what I need to do to be healthy. B
Old 07-23-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
I hate the question also. What it really means to me (depending on who asks), are you drinking again.

Well?
Old 07-23-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post
This. And the 'you look really well' meaning you look sober for a change *sigh*
Old 07-23-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EyesOfAStranger View Post
I usually answer that question honestly. And that consists of a long story, letting them know each and every thing that I am feeling. For those that truly are not interested, they usually learn quickly and stop asking me
I do the exact same thing. I noticed that people would ask me when my anxiety was at its worst more than usual. I just started telling people what was actually up. It helped a lot.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

What irks me more is when someone asks me that question and I respond with the generic, "Fine, how are you?" and get no response at all. That's all the proof I need that my answer was irrelevant and probably not even heard.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I'm FINE

F'd up
Insecure
Neurotic
Emotional