Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Calling all WEEKENDERS to the Weekend Menagerie Thread July 18-20

Notices

Calling all WEEKENDERS to the Weekend Menagerie Thread July 18-20

Old 07-19-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Cleomie, that's fantastic! I am soon to venture into zumba or others we have here. Bodyflow, bodypump, bodycombat, and cwworx - as soon as I figure out what is what.

tomorrow cxworx is scheduled after spin. so I may do a double tomorrow myself. day off today!

Non - I can't wait till I get the motivation you have. slooowly getting there.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Yes, my hubby is out of town tonite (and for the next 3 weeks) which would have been my green flag to overindulge in the wine department. It's weird how we like to drink alone... Definetly a red flag. I guess it helps with lonliness and no one is monitoring our intake.
Wow, what benefits???
Old 07-19-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

LBrain,
Give Zumba a try. It's got some dance moves (believe me, I'm a clutz) and theyre not too difficult. The musics great and the time just flies by.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

I got moves myself ya know. Try not to let the alone thing get to you. Look at it as an opportunity to do something you wouldn't have done otherwise. Sort out photos, go through some old junk, whatever. Make it a YOU night.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Thanks, LBrain, for the advice. I have been cleaning out my daughter's room this afternoon, trying to be productive. I'm looking forward to church with my 17 year old son in the morning, then brunch later. I really have a great, full life and need to realize that Chardonnay will no longer be a part of it. I'm so much better off being free from that vice.
This SR community is really a blessing to me.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

I'm glad people keep mentioning exercise. I keep forgetting about that, although I do bike a little most days. I will commit to one round of planking and one round of wall-sitting before midnight. I sprained my right ring finger while weeding, so my earlier (unadvertised) plan to include one pushup and one each of three different pullups might have to be postponed. (Once I get started I will probably do more than one pushup. Low-rep goal makes it easier for me to get started.)

Dinner was rotelle with kale and crushed tomatoes for the sauce.

Just waiting for night to fall:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Owlcat.jpg (78.8 KB, 73 views)
Old 07-19-2014, 05:22 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Just texted with a friend back in the States. I had told him about all the parties going on in my town today. He asked if I had decided to start drinking again...

I texted him back: Nope. Clean as a whistle from drugs and booze. I have a great job, I work abroad, I have an awesome house with the best view in the world, and I meet friendly people (and even hot chicks!). If the only drawback is boredom and/or awkwardness in late night situations where others are drinking...I'll happily stick with my sobriety.

He texted me bac: "Man, that sounds pretty good. How did you do it? I could do without the boozing for a while".

Pretty cool to hear some of my friends finally (2 years into my sobriety) looking to me again as a role model instead of a charity case. Felt good!

Instead of worrying about going out on the town tonight, I'm going to curl up with the Jason Bourne Trilogy and have some macademia nut desert and some popcorn! Looking forward to a peaceful evening.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Hi weekenders.

I do events. The event today was a cheese lady talking about delicious wine pairings.

Aaaaaaa I might need a new job
Old 07-19-2014, 06:49 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Just went out to check on a load of laundry, and two different owls hooted from nearby ...

Naturally I hooted back. Now I hear a third one in the distance.

BTW, planking and wall-sitting accomplished.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:53 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  

LBrain, thanks for the advice on snack foods. They're all foods I like. Yes Trachemys, I wasn't really thinking of HALT. I need to learn more about it and follow the suggestions. I just sort of skimmed through it before.

Went for lunch with my daughter today and had a nice visit. She is so very happy that I'm committed to sobriety and is being positive and supportive. She doesn't seem to have any doubts that my drinking days are over for good this time.

Reading about everyone's weekends reminds me that I need more physical activity in my life. I take my dogs for walks around the neighborhood each day but the dogs are small and the walks are not all that long. All of you active people are a good influence on me. I've been doing a lot of reading which is a good thing, but I think balance is key. I need to sit back and think of what activities I'm interested in. Zumba does sound fun Cleomie!
Old 07-19-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

Give Zumba a try Tarak. Breaking a natural sweat instead of a hangover induced sweat really feels terrific. Good luck!
Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Aak, the mention of checking on laundry reminded me that I discovered yesterday that Mr. Ruby put in a load and forgot...again. Stinky and I can't do them over right now because my mother in law assumed she was sleeping over and is now ensconced in my basement.

My afternoon was good although the AV was kicking in today. Has been lately for a bunch of reasons. I walked to the park with the kids and let them run around before everyone had time outs for the duration of the day. We all ate ice cream when we returned. Still didn't get to the store for my waffle cones. Tomorrow.

Right now the cats and I are relaxing in the living room. Heading to bed soon. Hope everyone is doing well today/tonight!
Old 07-19-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

I figured a lite shower wouldn't hurt jeep. An hour ago I put the lid on just before the steady rain started. Watched 'Wolf of Wall street' tonight.
Just discovered a function on this texting pad :-):-P.:-X. Don't know what they mean but =-O

Hopenall had a good Saturday. Good morning to everyone living in the future.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:39 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Hey all -

Just got home safe and sober on this Saturday night. I went out to dinner for sushi with a longtime friend, much older than me, who had his own issues with alcohol in the past but successfully dealt with them. He had some good insight.

As weird as these nights feel (you guys, really, they just feel weird) I'm glad to be on here with you all. I'm going to starting watching season 2 of Breaking Bad now. Have a good night!
Old 07-20-2014, 12:12 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

~~Food For Thought ~ Sober Sunday Edition~~
~~This Is The Day!!!~~

This is the day to confront yourself. Declare that you are making a radical change in your mind, your finances, your relationships and how you show up in life. Moving forward is what you must do to live the life that's waiting for you.

This is the day that you decide there is no turning back! Take time to find out what you must do to transform...to overcome...to leave behind...and to embrace this new you. Step up and step into the discovery of what is possible when you make up your mind that there is no turning back! You have GREATNESS within you!!

~~MAKE TODAY THE DAY!!!~~
Old 07-20-2014, 12:59 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Scram, you're going to love Breaking Bad!
Old 07-20-2014, 01:33 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good Morning Sobrietists!

Woke up a little early today, but I feel pretty rested. Gonna make a big breakfast for my road warriors (wife and daughter driving up to DC today) in a few hours and then I'll probably spend most of the day ripping pine. I have a lot of ripping to do, and when I rip in quantity I wear a breathing mask. It's supposed to be fairly cool today, which is a good time to do it as that mask gets uncomfortable in the heat.

Glad to see everyone is keeping it healthy and sober this weekend.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:38 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

What is "ripping" pine? My husband does woodworking, too, but I've never heard of that before. Maybe he just never spoke of it
Old 07-20-2014, 02:30 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
well it's bedtime for me. just got in. saw a band that played typical 70,80,90's hard rock. obscure stuff and some classics. two guys had a y-bomb slamming contest. then we went to a disco or whatever it's called - loud music (?) neon lights and glow in the dark hoop and a lot of bumping and grinding going on. and stuff I never saw before but was interesting to watch for sure. two or three fights. went through a sobriety check point in between that. cops had traffic slowed for almost a mile it seemed. dropped off my two drunk friends and made them promise to lock the door and stay home. interesting evening overall. only had two chicks try to pick me up.
LB... Uggggg.... I know that whole scene. Except the chick part. Ugggg... Never again.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:45 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey team Weekenders!!!!

Back from Down East Maine.... One of the most breath taking places I have ever been. And only one of two national parks on an ocean. I have been to both. Acadia where I just was and can anyone name the other?

I have to send a special hello to all the new folks who have jumped in and committed to a sober weekend. This is a great place to inspire and be inspired. The sober team here cares and knows what it feels like to be sober at drunk time when it's all so new. Welcome!

Heading to get a good walk in this morning. About 6 miles. Need to work off the food from the trip.