Notices

Landed face first

Old 07-06-2014, 10:36 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
nmd

Glad you are back, we're all rooting for you!
Old 07-06-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thepatman View Post
I was just thinking about how great people are on SR, all of you.
I have family and they have given up, they simply don't get it as you guys do.

I think they see it as I could just snap out of this, that I am not strong.

Only you guys get how this is a" insert swearing here" emotional addiction that deep down we hurt.
I hear you, but don't be too hard on your family. Your struggles impact them directly, creating pain and chaos in their lives. For them, it's not just about offering you moral support. They probably wrestle often with how to help you - what actions are really helpful and supporting vs. what actions are enabling, and how much should they sacrifice in their own lives to support you. I'm in that position with a friend right now, and it's very hard to know the right thing to do. There don't seem to be any good choices, so I just do the best I can.

The great thing about SR is that the only thing one can really give is encouragement, wisdom, and moral support. There is distance through anonymity that prevents the kind of closeness that could lead to the pain and chaos friends and family often feel. That makes it easy to be unreservedly compassionate. It's a lot harder to do that when you've been hurt.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Pat, as you know the early days post detox are a bit crazy with lots of insomnia...that was my experience. Build a good library of self help books for this 3am wake ups. I found In the Realm if Hungry Ghosts, Power of ?Now, Awareness, Mindfulness for beginners, AAs
Big Book, Living Sober, A Million Little Pieces.

Also find for me that making new emotional bottoms, creates more openness and willingness, two key attributes in my recovery program.

Good luck, glad to see your back with us.
Old 07-06-2014, 11:56 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome back PatMan. I am glad to hear you are getting the help you need.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Glad you're back on the wagon Patman

If you keep trying as you have been, one time it will just click for you.
I never was able to stick to sobriety and then one day it just was time and I did.
My "early attempts" were what led to my later success because I kept learning from each one.

I think lots of us have to try many times but it's easier when you know people "get" how hard kicking this thing is
Old 07-06-2014, 03:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We love you and we have faith that you'll rise up out of this.

There's no doubt in my mind that you can do this Pat.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to see you here Pat

Have no fear - recovery is possible for everyone...sometimes it involves a lot of sweat and toil and discomfort for a while...but the pay off is enormous...we get to be who we really are

D
Old 07-06-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

The Patman, I remember you from one of my many failed attempts at sobriety early on. I don't want to condescending but going to the hospital because you drank too much is not normal. I've been there 4 times because of it. I got the impression the doctors were becoming annoyed with me after a while. Once you detox I recommend AA daily. More than once if necessary. There is not a soft easy way for people like us my friend. Tell them where you are coming from. Get a sponsor. If you are serious about stopping, you have to be willing. You ever read the posts on here about people that have died from alcoholism? Stop now please. Before you do some damage you wont walk away from.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

There's a sign at one of my AA meetings that reads, "Welcome Home"

Proud of you for going to the meeting and getting that first chip!!!
Old 07-06-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Missed this during travels today, hope your detox is going ok

SR will always be here for you Patman. The thing that worries me is will you be here for you....you never know which return to drinking is the one you never come back from. You are an intelligent guy...but sometimes we can be to smart for our own good in regards to getting sober.

Once detox is done, maybe it's time to really look at what it is you need help with? We're here if course but there is much more out there. Stay in touch and be strong
Old 07-06-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Patman. Glad to hear that you found the AA meeting helpful.

You can do this; we have faith in you; have faith in yourself and keep moving forward.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

The Panic Attacks

The Panic attacks were the worst before and after I stopped drinking. I didn't realize what was going on, I thought I was going crazy. I finally saw a doc and was put on a low dosage of clonazepam, .5mg. Game changer.

Don't beat yourself up if you waiver, just remember it's a process. I made a conscious decision on July 28th of last year. I have stumbled, but I am in such a better place. I have a life that gets better every day and you will also. I laugh at how silly I must have sounded telling myself I was a functioning alcoholic.

Hang in there man! It's Independence Day!
Old 07-06-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good to see you back, Patman! Sorry things are tough right now, but just keep your eyes on the prize. There can be better days ahead.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. You can do this! I know you can!
Old 07-07-2014, 02:09 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey buddy. Glad you are here. I am behind you all the way! Its possible!
Old 07-07-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I survived the night. Shows how hideous this problem is.
To suffer so much with horrible nightmares and sweats and eventually relapsing demonstrates that the AV is always waiting.

I'm at work and don't have time to thank everyone personally. To resume a few and what I have time to write

@ Brian, Scott, UltraDad, SoberLeigh. Yes it is time for AA for me. I intend to follow the steps and be humble about my approach.
I have failed many times, tried so many things (Other than electric shock Therapy, LOL!)

I believe I usually failed because I don’t have sober friends or close family, so I isolate myself a lot when I’m not with my little boy (Single dad Shared custody)

I can hold for weeks, but loneliness grinds at my resolve. SR is awesome don’t get me wrong but I need to make real life sober friends.
Someone to call or to have a Saturday night coffee with.

I also most likely have some unresolved childhood issues with my father’s passing and my mom’s own problem with Alcohol. She is now passed away also since 2007.

So counselling will be one the menu.