Notices

Anyone else tired, lethargic and unmotivated?

Old 07-15-2014, 10:43 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
in early sobriety I wanted to do next to nothing actually did not even want to walk to the mailbox just out front on the old country dirt road but things will get better in short time if we just don't drink
Oh yeah. Welcome to the "Too Pooped to Participate" Club. It's been my experience as well.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:09 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Maybe we just have some catching up to do also. I never slept well when I drank. Now we can just take time to rest without feeling guilty about it. I know when I'm home, all i want to do is lie around. But when I get dressed and out of the house, I don't feel so tired. I just don't stress out about being lazy...used to be I felt so guilty because of being hung over that I would push myself. Now I don't have to do that.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

OH YEAHHHHH
I attribute it to battering myself with alcohol for so long
that I never had rejuvenating sleep. Real sleep.
Now, by 8:00 pm I'm falling asleep and awake before 4:00 am. (day 8 btw)
Another thing, I never was one to nap. Never. Now after work on Saturdays (1/2 day)
I come home, shower and nap for an hour. It's the most ethereal sensation.
I try to wake up after an hour, but am stuck between sleep and consciousness.
I feel like I'm dreaming with my eyes open, and probably am. It's a calm feeling.
I actually have to force myself to snap out of it. My brain forgot what sleep actually
consisted of. It was reprogrammed by alcohol to make me pass out and snore,
then awake feeling more exhausted.
Great sleep and no hangover is a lovely thing.
For now, I'll accept feeling tired and sleep whenever I can. Beats the heck out
of abusing my internal organs to the point of collapse.
Hope you feel better!
Old 07-15-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thank you for this thread. I am happy it got bumped because I missed it the first time. I went to the doc last week because I was so worried about my tiredness. They did a bunch of blood tests and found nothing wrong. It is interesting reading some of the other posts. I notice my biggest slumps come after I eat sugar or other carbs. I choose healthy eating on the norm but I have been sneaking in too much bad 'food' and not getting any excercise.

Thanks again. Time to push myself a bit more as well as accept this will pass in time.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I just bought a new pair of running shoes.....whoohoo! If I can get my butt out there and lose some weight, I might not be so tired.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey Nuu and SRers,

Previously mentioned this dish towel in another thread - or maybe it was this one?. This dish towel makes me smile and feel less like a person who spends most of her life preventing death while awake and with others, and quietly sitting still or asleep while alone. Have not yet purchased, but I think I may just do so, frame it and hang in my kitchen. Air kisses to all who are doing the good work today. **Nuu, good point about the energy required to sift through previously frozen emotions. BTW - I like this thread and am glad it has resurfaced

Old 07-15-2014, 01:48 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

This thread got me out in my yard for 30 minutes of weeding with the sunshine. Now time for work. I feel much better :-)
Old 07-15-2014, 09:13 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I was like you Nuudawn, exhausted for probably the firs 6 to 9 months. I think it's because we are finally getting some real sleep instead of passing out and also because our body and brain are repairing themselves so it takes a lot of energy out.
It was scaring me: I would sleep 12 hours a night and crash for an afternoon nap whenever possible. Thank goodness for SR and others sharing their experience, if I had been alone or just going to AA (the subject of sleeping pattern changes does not really come up) I would have thought something was very wrong with me.
Oh. My. God. I am experiencing this right now! I'm on day 43 and thought my overly fatigued days (for no observable reasons) were over. Nope. The past two days I have had two solid nights of sleep, and two solid naps that I wanted to last for a whole other night of sleep!

Thank you so much Nuu for starting this thread! It's very reassuring to know this is normal, that it shall pass, and doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to fall into a huge pit of depression that will lead me to drinking again. My brain and body are repairing themselves, and yes, that will take a lot of energy after 20 years of consistent drinking.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Yeah, just got up at stupid o'clock due to the heat & a chuffin mosquito buzzing around my room!! Bouncing around the room with a rolled up newspaper trying to whack it!!! Gave up in the end & came down at 4 am for a cuppa but still feel like poo on day 16. Be glad when this passes.I know it only lasts a couple of hours but I really don't like feeling like this.. Feel hungover. RATS!!!!!
Old 07-15-2014, 09:24 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Looks like we have the same affliction Nuu

image.jpg
Old 07-15-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

My God I love this forum. I "audited" another AA meeting tonight and this one, for whatever reason. left me feeling a bit depressed (can't like 'em all!). So I open up my computer and hit the last poster (thingey icon) ..which was you Snoozy...and I see this freakin' adorable hamster and it's precious caption..

And I laugh and I laugh and I laugh. Ah .that was good. Then I scoll on upwards and see that Rachelle found comfort in this bumped thread...and Wishes got her arse out in the yard...and then LeTheVerte

The Teatowel...and I laugh and laugh again.

Awesome. Yay! Thanks for helping me change my "mood channel" guys.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:17 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hey Nuu - Any specific reason you can pinpoint why your meeting was saddening? Was it just low energy? Sorry to hear that. But you did it! You showed up. I agree. I love reading that we all share something in common with this experience in life. Somehow quite heartening even if the commonality is exhaustion. I suppose we are all really taking care of ourselves now. And the guinea pig IS cute, SnoozyQ (even if those small creatures admittedly freak me out a bit).

Jezza - the sound of a mosquito buzzing in the dark! Like the theme song to Jaws. I'll jump out of bed and turn on al the lights and go to extreme measures to find that little bugger. Somehow it always ends up flitting in the furthest reaches of the ceiling or walls.

*Congratulations! Your thread is the recipient of my #1000th post!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:39 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Hey hey..congrats on the 1000 post!

With respect to the meeting...I dunno. Not a biggie but there were a lot of oldtimers there. One guy has 50 freaking years of sobriety (witty old guy who speaks round the world for AA) and he said he got it right the first time. A couple more shared their huge sober numbers and how they never looked back. Yes, yes..this is positive news. But my mind started reeling back to my 20's when I first went to an AA meeting (only went to 2 or 3). I was getting all these horrid flashbacks. I was much more of public drunk then..although mostly a weekend binger. Didn't drink during the work week really. But when I did..boy did I. I worked in the music biz back then..and I was drunk at ALOT of industry events when I should have been professional. I just kind allowed my thoughts to get me down. Instead of being motivated by their long sobriety..which I should have been. I just felt more defeated. At the end of the meeting someone likened me to this television star I really don't think I look like..at all. The woman was like 80 so I guess I could take that with a grain of salt. All petty crap. My own thoughts got to me. I don't like living in the past...and I guess I was.

Basically I was kicking myself for not being smarter like them....sooner. Judging by my flashbacks..I should have been.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:25 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Awww Nuu. Here's a big goofy hug for you!

That is a hard night. Isn't it the truth though that we cannot let go of something until we see it? Those recollections you had tonight are part of the story that is of a younger you and I am sure there was a lot of beautiful and amazing mixed in there as well. I would bet that when you are an old timer sitting in a circle, you'll be winking and smiling at the younguns - talking wistfully of those days. We change and our stories along with us, thankfully.

Speaking of seeing: perhaps a case of the cataracts could well explain the television star likening?

You are showing up Nuu. We are showing up even if we are tired. This is worth its weight in gold.

Old 07-15-2014, 11:27 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

I feel like this everyday!!! sluggish, I know your liver can make you feel this way, and there are ways to detox so you can have energy. I think it's more of a mental thing for me though...i get stuck
Old 07-16-2014, 10:00 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Nuu, I hear what you're saying about the meetings. I have the opposite problem, I mostly hear about all the relapses! I'm pretty okay with that, because I've had plenty of those, but I often think "where's the success rate in this?" That being said, I'm open to it and willing to try it!
Old 07-16-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

I used to get all caught up in stats bout the low success rates of AA..truth is the stats of overcoming addiction by any recovery effort are sadly, low.

BUT..now I just concern myself with the the numbers of all those who have by whatever means possible. Gosh, even 5% has gotta number in the millions right?
I believe I am finally "open" to the "by whatever means possible".

I have added AA to my recovery plan. It is not the only thing. I just don't think I'm the "only AA" sort...but I will certainly grab on to the things I DO like about it.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:40 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I'm someone who works with numbers and stats all the time, it's useful in research when we are looking for the most common and most abundant trends and phenomena... but I definitely don't like to cling to stats when it comes to my personal life or in this case, recovery. If something works for only me on Earth, I'll use it. If it does not work repeatedly, why waste more effort on it? I think the empirical approach is good - learn from own experience. Try it and evaluate that way. AA or anything.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Do your best

This is a rebumped thread for inspiration from earlier in the year
Old 08-28-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Nuu has some great threads