Notices

Anyone else tired, lethargic and unmotivated?

Old 07-05-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Yeah I didn't do much my first few weeks, went to work, came home and crashed.

Eventually though I got a spring in my step!!
Old 07-05-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn
Why do I always feel like I don't have enough sleep? It's like it takes herculean effort to do the tiniest of things. I mean I'm able to go to work and perform..but in my leisure hours...

I'm just T-I-R-E-D. Is this common to early sobriety? I am sleeping fine...but I am lazy, lazy, lazy. Having a shower, doing my hair and putting on makeup feel like giant tasks. I just wanna live in yoga pants and where my hair in a ponytail...but then I go out in the world and feel like crap about it.

I think I felt this way last year...I think. I would just like to know if anyone else feels this way?
Pretty normal i would say. Nothing out of the ordinary.

First two months of this were just horrible for me on the "energy" front, the lousy sleep only added to and compounded it all.

I am day 138 and starting to experience the benefits....... i am getting more regular/consistent sleep, feel more energy, and my motivation is starting to come back. My mood is getting better as well.

Remember, boredom often triggers "lack of energy" and such similar feelings. Recently i have been staying busy and i notice my boredom is down some, and my energy is up. There is definitely a correlation.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:11 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Nuudawn, I had been on and off with drinking for most of my 58 years, but it took going to jail for a couple months, wasting $20000 I didn't have to waste to stop. Yeah it was like sleepwalking through the days, after getting out of jail, like a automaton I did my work and came on here and other sites for hours on end . Actually sleeping for less than 5 hours a night. Now , I embrace waking up, doing things around the shop and the house with renewed energy. The thing for me was the realization that I was spending too much time and thinking of when I might be able to sneak off and have a few drinks. I slipped once after a screaming match with my SO after hitting a huge pothole with her new car and blowing out both right tires, what a waste of $700 because they can't fix the roads. I let her anger give me an excuse. Not anymore I just walk away. We are getting along great as I am doing fixing things that needed to be done for years. And she cannot believe I am not tired after working 12-14 hours a day and then going on the computer, but she is much more pleasant as I am not drinking. Take your time, it will come to you, it really is a good thing not to drink or use, I have money to do the things I only dreamed of doing and life is GOOD! Stay Strong and Well ! Bobby
Old 07-07-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thank you Bobby...I took much from your story. It helps.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Hi there. I just read your post about being tired and feeling lazy. I feel the same way. I'm only 3 days sober but have friends who have much more sobriety & they said it can take 12-18 months for our bodies to completely heal and for us to start to feel normal. It's called PAWS. My friend said that every day gets a little better despite a few ups and downs but as long as we don't drink it just keeps getting better. For now, I am going to allow myself to take naps, be lazy, eat ice cream, sleep in if I can....If I go the whole day without drinking, then I've had a great day! Be LAZY!!! I'll be lazy with you! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-07-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sunshine14 View Post
I'll be lazy with you! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery

Deal.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Same here. Better today, but I have no idea what I will get tomorrow. I stopped drinking only 3 days ago. Very sad, very unmotivated. This morning was really rough, but I went to work and feel better now. But waiting for dark so I can go to bed.

Lisa.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hang in there Lisa. I heard something that resonated with me the other day. I was watching this weird show on Netflix. It's a sitcom called "Louie". Anyways, Joan Rivers was talking to the main character about a life in comedy.

She said "buck up, it doesn't get better, YOU do"
I thought that was a great line. I might even change my signature line to it.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

One of these days I'm going to address my sugar intake issue.....I wonder how it effects energy level. I have a feeling that if I could cut back on sugar and lose 25 lbs, I would have more energy and wouldn't be so tired.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Day 6 and I feel so tired that I need to take a nap when I get home from work. I've never needed to do that before.

I figure it's the reduced carbs, with reduced sugars, plus a lack of the adrenalin I got when I beered it up.

Funny, I though quitting drinking would make me feel better with more energy. Instead I just feel like lying in a hammock. Well, it is summer.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:23 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I know just how you feel Nuudawn. I think I'm going crazy sometimes. I feel unmotivated, low, anxious and just can't be bothered to do anything.It takes effort to take a shower some mornings. I know my feelings are normal but aren't normal if that makes any kind of sense.

In desperation I saw my doc yesterday and she helped immensely. I feel as though a weight has been lifted.

I hope you have a better day today but if it continues for long please see your doc
Old 07-15-2014, 12:47 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
Why do I always feel like I don't have enough sleep? It's like it takes herculean effort to do the tiniest of things. I mean I'm able to go to work and perform..but in my leisure hours...

I'm just T-I-R-E-D. Is this common to early sobriety? I am sleeping fine...but I am lazy, lazy, lazy. Having a shower, doing my hair and putting on makeup feel like giant tasks. I just wanna live in yoga pants and where my hair in a ponytail...but then I go out in the world and feel like crap about it.

I think I felt this way last year...I think. I would just like to know if anyone else feels this way?
Hi Nuudawn
I'm going through the same at the moment!! I'm on day 16 & when I wake up I feel totally POO!!! No energy, motivation, headache, detached from myself.. Generally rubbish.. It lasts a couple of hours & then i snap out of it!! Very strange.. Hope it passes for all of us who are suffering this..
Old 07-15-2014, 01:59 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

in early days i had to keep busy busy busy even when my head would tell me not to my head would tell me to do nothing but sit there and worry about anything i could find to worry about
i had no job so lots of empty time on my hands i could either sit in my flat all day long and do nothing but that will breed laziness and make me soon yern for an escape into the bottle

so i made a list for living just simple things that would cost me no money but plenty of EFFORT

1 get up
2 have a bath
3 put on clean clothes
4 what pressing jobs need doing or bills need seeing to
5 tidy up my flat
6 go out for a walk
7 go to an aa meeting in the day
8 try and have a short nap
9 try some excersize

just do what ever you can find to do and put it down on a list for each day and stick to it

i have had to go back to this list and get myself motivated many times in sobriety like today i have had my bath put on clean clothes and i am off out this morning to an aa meeting as i am off work so its time to see if i can help someone else
i have to push myself to do this as no one else will

the other bad thing i found in my life was when i got a computer and the amount of hours i would sit on it playing games and doing nothing else it became a problem trying to drag myself away from the pc but when i did force myself away from it and do other things i felt much better in myself

so today i have a session on the pc in the morning if i have time and then i am busy most of the days these days so will have another session late on in the night time if i am not to tired and thats it for me with a computer

so maybe have a look at how much time is spent doing that instead of doing other things
?
Old 07-15-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Geeze. ..I just wrote a reply and lost it. What I said was that I think sometimes I confuse fatigue with relaxation. Relaxation is so alien to me that sometimes when I lie around the house, I feel that something is wrong. I have so much less anxiety now. I am actually able to relax and it feels so good.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:15 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Not really sure how this thread got bumped as I wrote it 10 days ago. LOL..I'm not saying that the issue has gone away. I'm just saying I guess I have found a bit more patience with the process since I first wrote this.

There is a lot of strenuous stuff going on within me...like..er um..early sobriety : ) Everyday consciousness is kind of exhausting when not accustomed to it. Becoming more tuned into the natural rhythms of my being is just plain old..well...brand new again. If I eat crap ..I feel crappy. If I don't get enough sleep, I'm like a 4 year old in need of a nap. And geez..all this thinking!!!! Wow.

I have all these thoughts, feelings, emotions, irritations, frustrations that were buried in the unconsciousness of drinking..and I don't have all the puzzle pieces in this sobriety picture..but they come I guess.

I'm alright...today anyway : )
Old 07-15-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Nuudawn....the only way to do it, is to go through it. A lot of suck it up in the beginning....you know it. I know you can do it.

But yeah...I found the below pic the other day and it reminded me of your pyjamas in recovery comment. My dressing gown still gets a good workout, don't worry!

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
Geeze. ..I just wrote a reply and lost it. What I said was that I think sometimes I confuse fatigue with relaxation. Relaxation is so alien to me that sometimes when I lie around the house, I feel that something is wrong. I have so much less anxiety now. I am actually able to relax and it feels so good.
I think this is true. And I think it's associating that guilt of drinking, cos we slobbed around and drank. But there's a difference. Honestly, even being sober the best part of a year, I still have to turn the tv off because it's just too much stimulation at times.

It's ok to be still, be quiet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (42.0 KB, 54 views)
Old 07-15-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post

She said "buck up, it doesn't get better, YOU do"
I thought that was a great line. I might even change my signature line to it.
wow, Joan Rivers actually said something that doesn't make me wanna smack her? incredible.

yup - I am relieved to read I am not the only one who is a walking zombie at day 65. There are days I am amazed that I made it through my work day without having a wee nap at my desk! I deal with patients all day, so having to be smiley and in a good mood can be tiring in itself! LOL
Patients are teaching me patience
I have gym membership I have used once in 2 months. yip. BUT I do try to walk to and from work a few times a week (30min walk) so I give myself credit for that. The gym will have to wait.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:14 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jupiters View Post
wow, Joan Rivers actually said something that doesn't make me wanna smack her? incredible.
The writers of the show "Louie"(which is probably Louie C.K]. himself should probably get more credit than Joan. She was playing herself in the episode.

I love that pic Croissant. Priceless.

And I too very much resonated with what you're saying happyandfree.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I feel guilty when I'm sitting around doing nothing. HA. I thought I was the only one.
*whew*
Old 07-15-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
KAD
Left the bottle behind 4/16/2015

Sounds like me, for sure. I sleep through the night most nights now but feel like I could just lay there forever. I get up and go ahead and get breakfast and try to get things done but feel fairly unmotivated. And God forbid, I sit down in my recliner! I'll start dozing off in no time. Makes it frustrating for the kids when I have them and we try to watch a movie. I'm not drinking anymore but the tradeoff is that I still fall asleep like I am!

I'm only about 5 weeks sober so I hope I'm still just in catchup mode. I never slept through the night when I drank and typically only averaged 3-5 hours of interrupted sleep.