Notices

Day 2 trying to end wine addiction

Old 09-30-2014, 05:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Welcome back, brownts. Please keep posting. We're here to support you!
Old 09-30-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am also breaking up with wine, and I am in the process of learning how to deal with my triggers. For me, family stress is a big one and I have a lot of it. I am trying to find other ways of dealing with the stress - whether it be exercise, calling a friend, taking a nap. I also went a step further this time around in my break up process and removed all wine, wine glasses and wine accessories from my house. I'm on day 9, and am glad to say that I am thinking less about drinking and more about being healthy. Being on SR helps. I'm also trying to focus on the money I am saving by not drinking. I went out with a friend last night, and my bill was considerably less than what it would have been had I been drinking. Who can't use money in the bank?

Good luck to you and welcome!
Old 10-01-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 2 again. I think a lot of my problem is boredom. I took a voluntary layoff from my job and when I look back that's when my problem really started. I remarried & wouldn't you think that would make me really work to stay off wine but I just can't seem to do it and I know it bothers my husband.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back brownts

I 'retired' early die to chronic ill health. It took me a few years to realise the antidote to boredom was a fulfilling life, not alcohol.

Have you anything you'd like to do? any hobbies or interests?

Have you thought of volunteering in your community?
That was great for me.

It got me out of the house, it got me doing something eworthwhile and it made me feel good about myself again, while helping others.

It also got me out of my own head.

If you've not tried it, I really encourage you to do so.

D
Old 10-01-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi brownts,
Wine is my poison too, literally. Managed 8 days, then drank for 3 days and now back on day 1 again. Just keep yourself busy, love the idea Dee said of volunteering. And as soon as you feel that urge to drink, post on here. I'm re-reading Rational Recovery as AA is really not for me. Good luck - you can do this!
Old 10-01-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome back brownts!!
Old 11-29-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Here I am again but this time I'm on day 41 & really think I can kick it this time. I'm thinking more just about today & so not thinking about overwhelming "forever" that has tripped me up before.

I've got an app on my phone that counts my days and that has helped me more than I ever thought it would. Also I'm learning to wait out the cravings and they do pass rather quickly now.

I feel so much better now and sleep much better.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brownts View Post
Here I am again but this time I'm on day 41 & really think I can kick it this time. I'm thinking more just about today & so not thinking about overwhelming "forever" that has tripped me up before.

I've got an app on my phone that counts my days and that has helped me more than I ever thought it would. Also I'm learning to wait out the cravings and they do pass rather quickly now.

I feel so much better now and sleep much better.
Glad to hear it!!
Wine is my problem too, well working on it not being a problem.
Any more tips?!
Old 11-29-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Wow, do I relate to these posts...

My poison is white wine and I went from four glasses a night...to times when I could drink one of those big bottles. The more I had, the worse the anxiety got...especially in the middle of the night.

I am grateful for the last few nights of sober, peaceful sleep and not wanting to throw up in the morning.
Old 11-29-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome. White wine, my poison. I used to tell myself it wasn't really an issue since, after all, it was just wine and I had a successful and demanding career. Than I read Drink: The Intimate Relationship between Women and Alcohol and had a major wakeup call. It scared me; I saw myself on nearly every page.

New routines have helped me. And I agree with others: you may have to forego places or folks until your sober muscles (as some call it here) get stronger.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:32 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Im never going back to wine damn it was my choice of poison i use to drink nearly 4 litres a day of boxed wine.

Its a hard one to kick as its so cheap too.

I dont miss the hangovers but.
Old 11-29-2014, 06:37 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
Welcome. White wine, my poison. I used to tell myself it wasn't really an issue since, after all, it was just wine and I had a successful and demanding career. Than I read Drink: The Intimate Relationship between Women and Alcohol and had a major wakeup call. It scared me; I saw myself on nearly every page.

New routines have helped me. And I agree with others: you may have to forego places or folks until your sober muscles (as some call it here) get stronger.
I told myself the same thing " it's only wine"
Old 11-29-2014, 07:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Me too, wine was my thing until it wasn't. I also rationalized that it was "only a glass or two of wine," after work so what was the problem, right? Well, by the end I was also drinking closer and closer to noon and more like a bottle or two (or three or four if it was a weekend) a night...when I did manage to wait that long.

"Only wine" nearly killed me. Wicked stuff. All the more so because it is so often marketed as exactly that, "only wine," to women which perpetuates the problem. In so many TV shows and movies the first thing the woman does, after work or a hard day with the kids, is pour a glass of wine.

Unfortunately, what we don't get to see is that same woman brutally hung over the next morning, hands shaking, trying to see if there are any dregs left in the bottle to stave off the hangover. THAT was where my "just a glass or two" evenings almost always ended, especially in the last year of my drinking.

Hang in there, brownts, you are well on your way and doing awesome. It does get even easier, I promise!
Old 11-29-2014, 08:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Wino here too.
Old 11-29-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Wine was my drink too and just before I quit I was pouring my first glass at about 11.00 in the morning. I was completely smashed for months and if not I was a shaky, anxious mess. I can honestly say my life has never been better. I no longer have wild mood swings or have to worry about what I might have said or done the night before. I no longer feel like death warmed up and I have more energy in my 40s than my 20s. You have nothing to lose xx
Old 11-29-2014, 09:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Keep up the great work! :-)
Old 11-29-2014, 10:57 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pipping View Post
Wine was my drink too and just before I quit I was pouring my first glass at about 11.00 in the morning. I was completely smashed for months and if not I was a shaky, anxious mess. I can honestly say my life has never been better. I no longer have wild mood swings or have to worry about what I might have said or done the night before. I no longer feel like death warmed up and I have more energy in my 40s than my 20s. You have nothing to lose xx
i cant wait to feel like that.
Im 26 so hope its not too late...
Old 11-30-2014, 02:23 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Brownts, welcome back. Congrats on 41 days sober, my friend.

It's been a struggle for you, but you made it, I've just been reading your old posts.

Welcome to the land of the living
Old 12-26-2014, 12:12 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi all,

I'm up to 68 days wine free and wonder if you all went thru a grouchy phase? I .am doing really good at handling the wine isle at the grocery store or Walgreens but it seems a general anger is brewing at little things now.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:15 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

68 Days is fantastic!!