Notices

Day 2 trying to end wine addiction

Old 05-22-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2 trying to end wine addiction

54 & wine addiction has got to stop. I've gotten worse this past year & start drinking just past noon most days and always wake up feeling like crap. My husband is tired of it and I am too.

I tried aa but people make me nervous & I wanted to drink more when I got home.

I would really appreciate some advice for how to handle triggers as this is my biggest problem.

Thank you.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I handle triggers, and there are many, by thinking that first drink through to the end and the misery that awaits me if I do drink. You say you wake up feeling like crap and you're drinking has progressed to drinking earlier in the day.
I did this too, until I was drinking shooters of whiskey at 8am and the hangovers went from feeling like crap to abject terror. It's progressive. And if you're anything like me, and I'm 54 too, things will only get worse. Much worse, take my word for it.
You never have to wake up feeling like crap again. Think of that which awaits you when you feel like drinking.
It's been working for me for over three years now, and I wish the same for you.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. In the beginning of my sobriety if I had to go to bed right after dinner, I would. I did a lot of planning of distracting things (reading, shopping, meetings) and I stayed glued to SR and posted whenever I felt cravings. I am almost 8 months sober. Red wine was my poison of choice. It does get easier!! Gut out the first few weeks. Keep a journal and list all of the dangerous/sick/boring/stupid/embarrassing, etc. things that you did/said when under the influence and look at it when you get a craving. Join the May 2014 support group and the daily/weekend threads. You can do this. You will not regret it.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Hi brownts and welcome to SR I, too, am 54. Wine was my weakness and I gave it up nearly 16 months ago. I've actually found it much easier than I expected. I was a binge drinker who couldn't stop once I started. It may sound trite, but by not having that first drink I don't really have the impossible cravings that would kick in as soon as I got the taste.

Once I'd been free of wine for a few days, I started to realise just how selfish I'd been and what I had put my partner through. I'm a much nicer, more balanced person now and the thought of going back to the person I was under the slavery of alcohol is what keeps me sober now.

This site has been amazing. I have learned so much from the honesty and courage of the people here. I doubt I would have stayed sober for more than a few weeks without it.

Stick with it. Life outside of wine is brighter and more rewarding than you can possibly imagine now. Let us walk with you while you find it
Old 05-22-2014, 03:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR, brownts!

I don't think we can stop noon from coming. That was the only trigger you gave us to work with. Maybe if you told us more we could share some more ideas. Otherwise...

What would you rather do than be drunk? Whatever it is, start doing that.

Welcome to the fight of your life.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. Stick close to this site and post when you get the urge to drink. We'll try to talk you out of it.

Wine was my drink too and I'm much better off today without it.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One big one is my husband drinking beer or margaritas when we go to our favorite Cuban restaurant. I feel bad about this because I'm the one with the problem and not him.

Today I told him it bothered me & he said he understood and went to his cave and I went outside.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you talked to your husband. The thing I found is that early recovery requires a lot of changes. Maybe your favourite Cuban restaurant should be avoided for awhile. It took me many months before I could be around alcohol without getting upset.

If your husband drinks at home, maybe you can go out for a walk, call someone or read in a different part of the house. Do whatever it takes, and keep posting.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Brownts, good job telling your husband that his drinking bothers you. While our sobriety has to be about us, and we can't make others change, we can tell them what makes life more difficult and easier.

Take it one day at a time. It can be done. Just don't pick up that first drink. And stick close to let us help you through the rough spots!

You might also want to Google AVRT. Lots of folks here have good success with it.

Finally, welcome!
Old 05-22-2014, 04:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I also echo what has been said that it really does get easier. Red wine was my downfall too. It created such a nightmare in my life. Do take care of yourself and anything that you have to do to not drink is ok in my book! Nothing changes if nothing changes!
Old 05-22-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's good to meet you brownts. I'm so glad you joined us and reached out for some help.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Yeah, good communication is helpful - but not always easy in early sobriety when stress and irritability can come at you out of no where. As you're working out your plan keep Mr. brownts informed.

Tons of great information on this forum. Read around a bit to learn some helpful tips.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 05-22-2014, 04:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome brownts - you'll find a ton of support here

D
Old 05-22-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Brown
Old 05-22-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Check out our Class of May support thread too brownts

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-2-a-13.html

D
Old 05-22-2014, 08:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hello Brownts...
Wine is also my poison. I have a week today. Wanted to say welcome. Good on ya on Day 2.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Wine is my drink of choice too, and I must say I REALLY miss it. I'm going on day 5, and I have to say if it wasn't for the fact that I've been taking antabuse for the past 3 days I might have caved tonight. Instead, I spent the money I would have spent the last 5 days for cheap wine on a nice Thai take out dinner. Working on the weight loss will come next. For right now I'm so glad not to be sick every morning that I'm enjoying eating more. Not having 3 or 4 thousand calories of wine a day should help, after all. Trying to get a little more exercise and finding that I don't get as sweaty and short of breath as easily as I did last week. keep up the good work.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Brownts!
Old 05-23-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Wine was my drink. After so long abusing alcohol - happy, sad, celebrate, commiserate. worry etc etc it is hard to push the 'I can just have a little drink' thought away and focus on some sort of productive activity inside. But you can do it. I really need to focus on the consequences of drinking - e.g. family upset and makes me really depressed and disappointed in myself the next day. When I do not give in to the urge it is so empowering.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

UPDATE: back on wine on & off for the past several months & yesterday I fell & really hurt myself. My whole right side is bruised & I want to quit so bad. I think I'm going to have to log in here everyday & pray for strength to stay off the wine.