Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Does the world truly revolve around alcohol, or is it just me that did?

Notices

Old 05-19-2014, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm just about to go to bed now after the first full day of sobriety, and what I plan to be a full journey to recovery.

My story is like most - I have drank way too much alcohol during spans of my life. I really have no choice but to stop. Thankfully, I have come to my senses, and realize that I cannot continue ingesting this liquid. I cannot risk my long-term well-being, health, and happiness for sake of constant pursuit of the high resulting from alcohol. It is not logical, nor is it sensible to continue drinking, especially when I have proven time and again that it is not possible for me to drink in moderation.

I have a lot to be thankful for. This time around (the last 3 years of heavy drinking), I made it a point to be as functional and responsible as I could be, which in turn made me justify my drinking more and more. But, when the most miserable hangover would come every single Sunday morning (Saturday was always the day I would drink the most), I sure didn't feel literally functional then! Sundays would usually be just a waste of a day.

Anyways, I am going to try to stay as positive as possible, and I must say, today was a really good day. And a large part of that was because I did not drink.

I have made this resolve several times over the past 3 years. I really am going to make this time different. The thing that I have struggled with the most is the thoughts that come into mind that try to convince me that drinking is totally normal, that everyone does it, that I must be able to do it so I can be social, that it is the best way to have fun, that those high alcohol Belgian beers tasted so good, that I will be shunned if I don't drink, that I don't want to have to explain to people why I don't drink when refusing a drink, that I just want to be normal, that I don't want to not be able to have a drink and feel abnormal, that it is so much fun to drink, yada, yada, yada...

And I after writing that, I really do feel like a lush, because these thoughts really do preoccupy my mind - hence, a real obsession with alcohol. I am going to guess those who can take it or leave it, who have a beer a baseball game once in a while, etc., don't constantly think about it.

So again, my only choice is to be totally abstinent, which I am accepting, and I know life is going to be so much more enjoyable without alcohol, because of all the other things that sobriety helps nourish.

I just need to let these thoughts quiet down and lose their importance over time.

I do feel more resolve than I have felt since the last time I became sober and enjoyed 6 years of sobriety, so here it goes again!

I googled "reasons why people don't drink" tonight to find articles, posts, etc. from people who don't drink, with the intention of finding inspiration from those who don't drink simply by choice (those who may not have ever had a problem with it), because even though it may not seem like it, there truly is a large population of people out there who simply don't like alcohol, and it has never really played any role in their life.

I work with a few people who just flat out don't care for alcohol, and I see them as truly carefree without it, which in itself is an inspiration. (And I do work with just as many people who love alcohol as well!)

My obsession with alcohol paints the illusion in my mind that it is the ultimate elixir, that the outside world completely revolves around it, and that it is the most enjoyable hobby ever. It's been that way pretty much since I was 14 years old (over 20 years ago), so it's basically been all I've ever known.

I would find it quite interesting to step into the brain of one who has never had an affinity for alcohol, has never chosen to place any importance on drink, and who has led a fulfilling, enjoyable life, to see why they just don't care about alcohol.

So the question for those who have had an affinity for alcohol, and who are successful in recovery:

Did you battle these illusions that paint a rosy picture of alcohol as playing a glowing, fun, important part in the world? Did you get to a point where your alcohol-obsessed mind no longer painted such a illusory, rosy picture (i.e., the examples above) when the cravings would kick in? Do you feel content that alcohol is just not for you anymore, and at peace with that? How did you align yourself with going out into the "real world" where there are people you will come across that do enjoy a drink now and then, and feeling less alienated and outcast in your own mind by your perceptions?

Anyways, I know this post is lengthy, but I got on a roll writing it, and it feels good.

Well, off to bed now, and to start another sober day tomorrow. Thank you for allowing the space for me to share.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Sublimeami. I hope you get the support you are looking for here.

You used a good word about your romantic view of alcohol yourself. You used the word 'illusion'. The fact of the matter is that alcohol is an insidious poison and if one over-uses it, as most people here have, there isn't any way of turning the clock back to the 'fun days', many of which weren't a whole lot of fun to begin with, what with hangovers, embarrassing behavior and whatnot.

Alcohol is so insidious and lethal that even as it tries to kill you (and it kills by the thousands don't forget) it tells you how wonderful it is and how life will be pointless, no fun and empty without it.

If you are going to be successful in quitting you may need to re-evaluate and re-frame your relationship with the stuff. It is your enemy, not your friend. It brings misery, not happiness. That is what I try to do anyway.

All the best in your efforts. There's a lot of wisdom and help available here.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey! I'm only on day three of sobriety and I know I have a serious problem because even when I'm not drinking, I'm obsessing about it, almost playing little games with myself in my head, seeing how long I can last without a drink (not too long, ever, most often not even till the next day) and convincing myself how normal I am and how what I am doing so is everybody else. My life has been completely taken over by booze - I am sick of it, and live in hope that not only will I stop drinking but also that I'll stop thinking about it all the damn time. I'd love to no longer be obsessed and just be be happy and live life for the sake of living. Just started day 3 - I have severe anxiety and I feel sick but I'm not drunk and I'm not hungover. That's the most important thing. Good luck to you!
Old 05-20-2014, 12:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have also tried in the last three years to give up, did 8 months and I had a drink because I thought I was missing out on the Christmas festivities. It then took hold again, so now Its to stop completely, yes I dread the thought but the wasted days the wasted money and Im wasting my life away. I am on day 13 and the thoughts are getting less, they just pop into your head and I just tell them to go away but I do swear at the thoughts . Its a battle between me and my thoughts. Im turning my thoughts around, yesterday I was on the bus and I passed one of our fave pubs and I thought , I cant go in their any more as I cant have a drink, oh why cant I be NORMAL . then i thought hold on of course i can go in their i can have a refreshing orange jiuce topped up with soda .. Its getting easier, my thoughts arent as bad now. Im now working on my confidence my ability to laugh without a drink inside me. Im leaning to recognize my triggers. I have done this many times been at this place , but this time I am determined to stay at this place and I will not let my mind trick me again into thinking I can control the alcohol because I cant and I have to be on guard so my thoughts do not take over ..
Old 05-20-2014, 01:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good Luck Guys, I have the same dilemma,, just cannot stop thinking about the dam stuff,, day 31 and getting little better,,,,,step by step,,, PAWS still there and the little men in head talking to me,, lol,, but who's laughing,, not me,,, cannot have a drink if even I wanted one as stuck in Saudi Arabia, this is my Rehab,, get out of this one Mr. Brain lol
Old 05-20-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi sublimeami - welcome

Did you battle these illusions that paint a rosy picture of alcohol as playing a glowing, fun, important part in the world?
I did for many years yeah. I had to force myself out of that reverie tho and look hard at the reality...

The call it 'playing the tape through' and the technique about remember all the bad stuff that happens when you drink...all the accidents embarrassments, dangers, all the remorse and guilt later and fear after a blackout of what happened....

That's what drinkers like us risk every time we drink.

Did you get to a point where your alcohol-obsessed mind no longer painted such a illusory, rosy picture (i.e., the examples above) when the cravings would kick in?
Yeah I did - it wasn't over night but considering I drank for 20 years, it wasn't that long either

Do you feel content that alcohol is just not for you anymore, and at peace with that? How did you align yourself with going out into the "real world" where there are people you will come across that do enjoy a drink now and then, and feeling less alienated and outcast in your own mind by your perceptions?
I am totally at peace with it now - but, because my old life revolved around drink and drinkers, I had to make some big changes first.

I didn't go out for a while - at least not to places or events where alcohol was a major factor.

I lost a lot of drinking buddies...but I found out who my friends were too. They were the ones who supported me in my decision.

I made a lot of new friends too, and reconnected with some old ones my drinking had caused me to drift away from.

Now I'm just Dee the non drinker.

I have to admit my life is a lot quieter but I'm nearly 50. I genuinely like it that way. When I do go out now, drinking's not something I think of.

I'm still not a fan of drunk people - they remind me of too much from my own past - but and it really doesn't matter to me if others drink.

It took me a while to get to this spot, but it's a good place to be.

There's absolutely no reason why you couldn't get to this spot too sublimeami

D
Old 05-20-2014, 01:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
instant

Welcome Sublimineai. Early on there are a lot of changes- physical urges to drink, the constant obsessing and ruminating, unstable emotions amongst them. Over time things change , i found after six months my emotional system was unhitched from alcohol and i could think and respond freely without everything going through the prism of alcohol.

If ypu have not done so I recommend reading The Big Book from AA ( i do not go to AA) and also the short corse on AVRT at rational recovery. Both are free online and helped me put my thinking and experiences in context.

Three years on i do not think much about alcohol or my recovery situation with any disturbing frequency. I have also noticed over time how many people drink very little in social situations where it is served.

I don't usually hang around alcohol type situations- having said that i am going put for an meal then off to see a band at a bar. Its great to be able to enjoy things for what they are rather than 'opportunities to drink"
Old 05-20-2014, 01:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think we're programmed to think that the world revolves around alcohol. For example I like How I Met Your Mother, but stopped watching it because it made me crave alcohol: it showed happy, successful people drinking in almost every episode, never getting drunk unless it was relevant to the plot and never suffering serious repercussions.

It's a fantasy.

That's just one example. There are dozens of other shows I could name that show a "rose-tinted" view of drinking. Then there's adverts which directly go "hey, look how great alcohol is! Everybody is happy and attractive and not at all lying with a bucket beside their bed wondering when their heart will stop racing".

They have different aims, one is using alcohol as a plot device/iconography while the other is directly trying to sell you stuff but the result is the same, we have an unrealistic view of life with alcohol.

So I don't know if the world is obsessed, but I'd certainly say the world is in denial about the effects of alcohol on society. You only have to walk through a city center sober to see that.

That's my two cents, anyway.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
I think we're programmed to think that the world revolves around alcohol. For example I like How I Met Your Mother, but stopped watching it because it made me crave alcohol: it showed happy, successful people drinking in almost every episode, never getting drunk unless it was relevant to the plot and never suffering serious repercussions.

It's a fantasy.

That's just one example. There are dozens of other shows I could name that show a "rose-tinted" view of drinking. Then there's adverts which directly go "hey, look how great alcohol is! Everybody is happy and attractive and not at all lying with a bucket beside their bed wondering when their heart will stop racing".

They have different aims, one is using alcohol as a plot device/iconography while the other is directly trying to sell you stuff but the result is the same, we have an unrealistic view of life with alcohol.

So I don't know if the world is obsessed, but I'd certainly say the world is in denial about the effects of alcohol on society. You only have to walk through a city center sober to see that.

That's my two cents, anyway.
That's so true - I dread the thought of ever watching Sex and the City again! All they do is go out, drink, rarely get drunk and generally always seem so together. Trying to emulate that has nearly killed me - going out drinking every night does not leave me waking up looking ready to grace the cover of a magazine!!
Old 05-20-2014, 02:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yep some of the world revolves around alcohol but not my world any longer.

I love the reaction when I say I don't drink and have not had a drink for 2 years.

It ranges from 'Oh my god you don't drink?' to 'There is no way I could do that"

I like the OMG ones best personally!

I like to add that I am not chopping up live kittens or pulling spiders legs off for fun, smuggling people, not making rare breeds extinct or planning to over throw the British Monarchy.

I am just not having an alcoholic drink.
Its nothing to be concerned about. Everyone needs to calm down and breathe deep.
I just prefer diet coke.

But thats just me and the people in my world.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrBen View Post

It's a fantasy.

What about our soaps?

In Eastenders, Coronation Street and Emmerdale they go twice a day to the pub! Lunch and evening.
I think they only go to Roys Rolls or the Caff when they have a stinking hangover the next morning and need a fry up.
However, they all seem to still get up early in Enders to set their market stall up or clean the Vic or sew knickers at the factory.
Not sure I could!

Yes, I do know it's not real life!

xx
Old 05-20-2014, 03:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

HA HA Sasha 4 how true
Old 05-20-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yep..... I saw the world this way and honestly; in large part in our society I still do.

Just yesterday I marveled at a wine shop window in my small town. There was enough booze in that window to intoxicate the whole town. And that was ONE store. Then there's the liquor aisles at the local grocery stores. The gas station beer coolers. The dozen or so liquor stores. The tens of bars (not even counting the bar-restaurants). In American society, perhaps the world doesn't revolve around alcohol - but it is a deeply prevalent part of the world. Celebration, mourning, 'fun', sports, life's milestones.... it all seems as if it needs to be marked with booze. I don't think that's just an alcoholic's perception, I can see it pretty clearly all around. There ARE people who simply choose not to drink, but in our western world they are certainly a minority. A happy, joyful, healthy minority, as it turns out.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

When I first quit I wondered the same and posted on here about it. It took me a while to realize something. The world hasn't changed, I did, your subject line is spot on.

Once, I was in a large crowd of people and the person that I was with had a red shirt on. Somehow we got separated. I've never realized how many people at the concert were wearing red shirts until that happened.

A few years back I bought an SUV. All of a sudden I realized just how many people around here own SUVs.

Last year I quit drinking. Interestingly enough it seemed like all of a sudden the percentage of beer commercials on tv had increased tenfold and that all my friends on facebook did nothing but post about alcohol.

I'm sure that many here have had the same kinds of experiences.

We become hypersensitive to things based on certain criteria. It isn't until you quit drinking that you realize just how much alcohol is present in society. The thing is, nothing has really changed, it's you who have changed and the absence of the alcohol in your life heightens your senses to anything that deals with the subject matter.

I just need to let these thoughts quiet down and lose their importance over time.
That does happen. In the meantime, the more realistic you are with yourself about what happens when you drink alcohol (never mind anyone else) the quicker that happens.

I'm going to a Memorial Day bbq this year where there will most certainly be alcohol. Last year I would have been in what I refer to as "nggggggggg" mode, lamenting a bit over everyone else drinking and me having to work to abstain. This year I'm at peace, thankful, and relieved that I don't drink. Looking forward to enjoying a party and not making a butthole out of myself.

You will get there. Just like Dee said, play the tape. The more that you do that the more real it becomes. Life is so much better but it takes some time to realize that and get there.

You CAN do this!
Old 05-20-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The other thing I did learn as well though was that there are normal drinkers out there, some of them drink very little and can have 1 or 2 drinks then stop.

My first christmas party sober?
Wow not everyone gets blackout drunk to celebrate Santa coming!
I really did see how I was probably the most drunken person at events in the past and how bad it must have been me staggering around incoherent and others singing Christmas carols and admiring how beautiful white christmas flower displays can be or discussing the best indoor decorative lights to stop your house burning to the ground if you forget to turn them off.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
The call it 'playing the tape through' and the technique about remember all the bad stuff that happens when you drink...all the accidents embarrassments, dangers, all the remorse and guilt later and fear after a blackout of what happened....

D
I cannot agree more with this... I cringe when I think about all of the things that I've done while drinking. The dangerous situations I've put myself and others into, the ridiculous things that I've said to people, the drunk dials, the risky encounters with men. Worrrying about what I said or did when I was blacked out, the severe guilt and fear that followed a night of drinking...And none of that stopped me from continuing to drink.

I also obsess(ed.. hopefully ) about alcohol. "I really want to drink today. What time will I start drinking today? What am I going to drink today? Is someone going to drink with me today? What do I have to do before I start drinking today?"

It was/is exhausting. I hate that I've wasted so much time on alcohol.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Happy to say that I'm finishing out Day 2 sober! And it has been a good day too.

I wanted to thank everyone for their support and replies. Each and every reply has helpful things to say. I can see why this is such a great forum.

One of them that I want to highlight is:

Originally Posted by Sasha4 View Post
Yep some of the world revolves around alcohol but not my world any longer.

I love the reaction when I say I don't drink and have not had a drink for 2 years.

It ranges from 'Oh my god you don't drink?' to 'There is no way I could do that"

I like the OMG ones best personally!

I like to add that I am not chopping up live kittens or pulling spiders legs off for fun, smuggling people, not making rare breeds extinct or planning to over throw the British Monarchy.

I am just not having an alcoholic drink.
Its nothing to be concerned about. Everyone needs to calm down and breathe deep.
I just prefer diet coke.

But thats just me and the people in my world.
The first two times I had lengthy bouts of sobriety, I would get similar reactions. But really, in all logic, you have said it well Sasha4. Bottom line, a person who is out with people and doesn't choose to have an alcoholic drink is simply doing just that - not having an alcoholic drink! What the heck does it really matter to anyone. Liquid in a glass is just that: liquid in a glass. When a bunch of people are at a party and standing around, why is it so important that everyone have a glass of liquid in their hand? Just because a certain kind happens to have a destructive psychoactive chemical in it, and another doesn't, it really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things (aside to the person who has a problem with alcohol - it certainly does matter in the effort to stay sober).

But when it comes to people's reactions to someone saying they just don't drink alcoholic beverages, it really shouldn't be a big deal to the person asking that question. Really, take a deep breath and move on! Not everyone has to drink alcohol, and just because someone doesn't, that shouldn't really matter or be relevant to two human beings just hanging out talking, and nor should it really be anyone's business anyways the reasons why. If someone likes Pepsi and the other Sprite, there's certainly not going to be the same kind of debate happening...
Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

well done on day 2 Im thinking it must be day three ! by now. i find day 3 the worst for the demons in my head so tell them to get lost if they pop in. when i was on my longest af moment of 8 months , I went to the pub with my friend and everyone was drinking some quite heavy and her Dad sat next to me he had twigged I wasnt drinking , he said how can you do it, sit there watching everyone having a drink, I said its funny watching you all get louder and louder and I dont mind the only thing I find is I get tired as Im usually in bed by now and because Im not drinking I want to go to sleep lol and theres only so much soft drink you can take, funny how I can drink a massive volume of alcohol but not soda ! and I will be the only one in the morning feeling great . He admired me and said I wish I could but Ive forgotten how and now I cant I need to drink when I am out. I now do the driving so if anyone says arnt you drinking I say no Im driving, or I say I dont drink its almost a shock for people to hear it but I really like saying it because I know theres pleanty of people who would like not to drink , maybe that could be our mission , stand up be proud we dont drink and if asked just say I dont drink..