Notices

Is it okay to walk away from things that bother you?

Old 05-19-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it okay to walk away from things that bother you?

Well, first off, I would like to say that I'm over 6 months sober. I would say that there is alcoholism in my family, though I am the only one that got treatment. One of my aunts has been drinking a lot since the death of her husband, and one other one has mental problems and I would say that she is an alcoholic but I didn't really know until today.

My Grandmother has been sick. She had surgery last Friday and she had a CAT scan today...it came back clear and she will be discharged tomorrow. I got to the hospital this morning before 9am. She was supposed to have the scan then but it was delayed and I left my mum there and went to do some things. I called into my aunt and she started crying and said "I can't take this waiting. I need a bottle of alcohol". I was shocked. I don't know why. I've been through that myself. This was around 11 am and I had to get out of there. I didn't want her opening bottles in front of me so I made an excuse and left.

I told my dad the story and he said "Jesus. I hope she's not sneaking bottles into the house. Don't tell your Gran about this". She has done that in the past but my Grandmother made it very clear that if my aunt brought vodka into her house again, she would kick her out to the side of the road.

So was I right to walk away? I just felt very uncomfortable. I can't deal with any more of that. I don't need or want alcohol in my life. Full stop.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you should put the focus on yourself and your recovery.

Those are the only things you can control in your life.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't really know one way or another. I have two alcoholic/addict siblings that I am currently living with for the summer and I struggle with being in the midst of their behavior or walking down the hall to see a tequila bottle or seeing them strung out at 2am. My instinct is to get angry. I, too, remove myself from the situation. But instead of getting angry, I say the Sick Man's Prayer because it gives me the peace I need. YMMV.

From what I've been told upon reaching out about my own encounters in my family, we can't control other people's drinking and it's unfair to tell them to keep alcohol out of our presence. However, we have full control over whether or not we choose to be present in that situation. If you're making a choice for you, for your sobriety, that's your prerogative and you should do that because keeping sober should be a priority. You can recognize that they are sick with the same disease, you can empathize with the feelings, but you don't have to tolerate it or play along if it's going to harm your mental state. Just my $0.02.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You told your dad, if he wants to take it further, he can do that. I'd just focus on yourself and your sobriety. And congrats on over six months!
Old 05-19-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I do not think you were wrong to walk away.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't think you were wrong to walk away. Are you feeling bad because you left the hospital while your gram was still there or are you questioning turning away from your aunt? If it was about leaving your gram I am sure she would understand if you felt uncomfortable about something and needed to take a break for a bit. You've spoken of your relationship with her before and she sounds like she would be supportive. As for your aunt, there isn't really anything you can do about her drinking. You told you dad. He can choose to say something or not. When I find myself in an uncomfortable situation, I walk away. Better to remain sober than slip on something avoidable.

I think you did the right thing. I am glad your gram is doing better.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it was absolutely the right thing to do. The best thing you can do is model being successful at sobriety so she knows what to do when she's ready.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

props to you for walking away. We all have to walk away during our recovery and sobriety. Unfortunately sometimes that even includes family.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This situation is not for you to deal with. You deal with you and do what is best for you.
Think about yourself. as selfish as it might sound.....you come first....no one is going to help you more then you are going to help yourself.