Old 05-19-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
hardhearts

I don't really know one way or another. I have two alcoholic/addict siblings that I am currently living with for the summer and I struggle with being in the midst of their behavior or walking down the hall to see a tequila bottle or seeing them strung out at 2am. My instinct is to get angry. I, too, remove myself from the situation. But instead of getting angry, I say the Sick Man's Prayer because it gives me the peace I need. YMMV.

From what I've been told upon reaching out about my own encounters in my family, we can't control other people's drinking and it's unfair to tell them to keep alcohol out of our presence. However, we have full control over whether or not we choose to be present in that situation. If you're making a choice for you, for your sobriety, that's your prerogative and you should do that because keeping sober should be a priority. You can recognize that they are sick with the same disease, you can empathize with the feelings, but you don't have to tolerate it or play along if it's going to harm your mental state. Just my $0.02.