Notices

Antidepressant Medication?

Old 04-02-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antidepressant Medication?

Hello all. I'm just posting to get a feel for what people think on the topic of antidepressant meds as I'm currently contemplating talking to my doctor about going on them.

I've been off alcohol for almost 3 months now (82 days) and have also been going through the breakup of my marriage the whole time. I've been hitting the most depressive lows compounded with the worst anxiety I've ever felt. I'm seeing a therapist which has been effective in talking through some issues but I still feel awful pretty much all the time.

When I first quit drinking I felt motivated and energized to become a better person but now that the reality of that fact my wife isn't coming back has really sunk in I've melted into a pile of lethargy, and self-disgust. I'm not sure I know how to come back from this myself and it's starting to scare me.

Drinking is not an option, no matter what.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
Hello all. I'm just posting to get a feel for what people think on the topic of antidepressant meds as I'm currently contemplating talking to my doctor about going on them.
I think as long as you aren't drinking, then medication for depression, if that is indeed what you have, is a viable if not needed option. Conferring with your doctor is the right course.

Of course, early recovery plus the breaking up a one's marriage would make anyone down. It's possible that your doctor will suggest therapy or counseling if you are not found clinically depressed.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's a very personal decision.

I've gotten past some pretty black depressions I never thought would pass, and crippling anxiety and panic issues, without medication. So I know its possible, although it takes a big commitment and a lot of willingness. Willingness to do things differently. For me that meant changing my diet, exercising, going to AA, practicing the 12 steps, therapy, relaxation exercises, and a bunch of other things.

I tried medication several times and didn't like the way it felt. I don't like the feeling of being dependent on anything for my well being, unless absolutely necessary. Not medicating forced me to learn to live and think differently. I don't believe I'd have had the motivation to do all that I did if I had been medicated.

I am no longer agoraphobic, nor suicidal. I still have depressions from time to time, but they're nothing like they used to be. I enjoy my life and wouldn't trade it for anybody's.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I suggest talking to your doctor.

I've taken anti-depressants and there were absolutely no side effects.

Additionally, after I finally started taking them, and crawled out of the black hole of clinical depression, I regretted not taking them sooner.

I look at anti depressant medication the same as antibiotic medication. Sure, you can tough it out and heal without antibiotics in many cases. But why would you?

To me it's like refusing to use a computer or drive a car. There are people that live that way - I sure don't want to live that way though.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ClearLight View Post
I look at anti depressant medication the same as antibiotic medication. Sure, you can tough it out and heal without antibiotics in many cases. But why would you?

To me it's like refusing to use a computer or drive a car. There are people that live that way - I sure don't want to live that way though.
I don't see it that way at all. To me it seems more like putting a piece of tape over a hole, as opposed to fixing the hole. Take the tape away, and the hole is still there. Antibiotics work a lot differently than antidepressants also. If there were antidepressants that could wipe out depression in 7 days, then I agree one would have to be a fool to not take them. Take antibiotics for a year straight and trust me that you'll wind up with some other problems. Or on additional medication.

Something else I think is REALLY important for anyone, at least in the US, that is considering medication. Think it through thoroughly before consulting a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is NOT a person to make this initial decision with as they absolutely will prescribe medication. That's been my experience, and the experience of anyone I know who's walked through their doors, in my area at least. This is not a doctor knows best situation. They might know what's best regarding what MIGHT be best to prescribe, but will indeed prescribe medication. It's what they do, IME.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

To me it seems more like putting a piece of tape over a hole, as opposed to fixing the hole. Take the tape away, and the hole is still there.
That hasn't been my experience at all. Nor has it been the experience of others I know that have used anti-depressants.

Antibiotics work a lot differently than antidepressants
The similarity was not meant to be how they work. The similarity was that they are both technical advances that make life easier. Such as computers and telephones. There are people that won't use computers and telephones. Is that really the way someone wants to live?

Think it through thoroughly before consulting a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist is NOT a person to make this initial decision with as they absolutely will prescribe medication.
First of all anti-depressants can be prescribed by your regular internist. You don't go to a psychiatrist. I didn't. Nor did most of the others I've known that used anti-depressants.
Secondly the doctor DOES know best.
This entire notion of the evil greedy doctors hoping to make a buck by hooking you on meds isn't something I've seen in real life. Nor has anybody I know of.

Again - my suggestion is that you discuss this with your regular doctor. That would be a General Practitioner or an Internal Medicine doctor.
Then take your doctor's advice and don't try to waste time healing your self.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

@clearlight - I strongly advise you to have a conversation with a pharmaceutical sales person. You might feel differently. Will exit this thread with stating that I completely disagree, yet won't bother arguing because I realize the pointlessness of it. As already stated, this is a very personal decision people have to make. And an important one. I hope anyone moving forward with it does it in an educated way, and not by blindly trusting someone just because of a plaque on their wall.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am a big proponent of professional counseling with antidepressants as needed. I don't think most primary care doctors have the time we need to work through our issues.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Joe Nerv:

Yeah - we will just have to agree to disagree. BTW - I do know pharmaceutical sales people.

We do agree on one thing: "do not blindly trust someone". A good doctor will inform you about the ramifications of different modes of treatment.

However, to me the "plaque on their wall" means a lot. It means they are supposed to know more than I do about medication and treatment. It means they've committed to spending years upon years of education and training to be able to help me heal.

My choice has been to utilize their knowledge and expertise and I've never regretted it.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I really appreciate all the opinions. I have been doing a lot of reading on what options are out there and what some of the effects/side-effects are and most of it does make sense. It's very beneficial to hear what others think as it offers a different perspective than what one gets from wikipedia and pharma sites. I will definitely be consulting with my doctor and therapist about it before making any decisions. Ultimately it will be my doctor writing the prescription anyways so I'll have to talk with her regardless.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mindfulness meditation as a facet of cognitive behavioral therapy has been found to be at least as effective as anti-depressants in treating depression and anxiety. This is the route I'm taking to deal with my depression and anxiety at this time, since I vowed years ago to never again take anti-depressants. The meds made me feel almost robotic, and then when I tried Wellbutrin it sent my anxiety spiraling completely out of control. I'm going to work on treating the underlying issues without the use of meds. You might want to read up on that as you explore your options.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA member

Definitely seek medical advice Kisho.

There are many causes and types of depression,a Doctor will diagnose and treat you accordingly.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
Definitely seek medical advice Kisho.

There are many causes and types of depression,a Doctor will diagnose and treat you accordingly.
Agreed about the different causes and types. Not sure I agree about a doctor diagnosing and treating accordingly. At least with most folks I know personally, doctors don't even ask any questions - you say you're feeling depressed, and they write you a prescription for the startup dose of their preferred med, then as needed they increase it if you say you aren't feeling better.

I never liked feeling like a guinea pig. I've been on three courses of anti-depressants, and NONE of those times did my doctor ask me detailed questions about my condition, have me fill out any screenings, or anything of that nature. I said my depression was back, they handed me a prescription. Never recommended counseling, never suggested anything else but to take a pill each day and up the dosage as my body got used to it.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

There are different causes of depression, biological, psychological and various combinations of the two. My experience and opinion aligns closely with everything clearlight posted.

I also suggest you talk to a good professional, with a training in the treatment of depression and the ability to prescribe an antidepressant , or someone who will readily refer you (to a psychiatrist who can) if requested.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Definitely seek professional help if you are feeling depressed, Kisho! I did not... and ended up in very nasty episode that lasted ~6 months just the worst part. It was seriously the most difficult experience I'd ever gone through, also the deepest hole during my drinking career. I came out of it (sort of...) by myself using knowledge and methods I was aware of for treating depression, but I really don't recommend it. You don't necessarily need to decide to take medication, there are many possible methods to help depression, but better not let it progress to its worst. I would say the depression by itself is similar to addiction in that for the most efficient recovery, the best approach is a complex lifestyle change, combined with medication if it's deemed necessary.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am sorry that you feel this way. Depression and anxiety are hellish.

In my view and experience, antidepressant medication reduces the symptoms such as weepiness, panic, lethargy, sleeplessness- whatever the symptoms you are experiencing, and this can improve coping. Progression is made quicker if an individual can get some sleep, stop crying and get motivated to get out the house.

Most people with depression will get better on their own, in time. However, medication will shorten the length of time you feel awful. Prolonged depression can lead to isolation, which in turn, can worsen depression.

If depression affects more than just you, such as your role as a parent, or it affects your functioning at work, these are further considerations to take into account when deciding on medication which won't 'cure' you but will speed a recovery by helping you rebuild those defenses which have temporarily deserted you.

Get well
Old 04-02-2014, 12:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
AA member

SoberSusan that was your experience.Far from the usual.Anti-depressants don't work when mixed with Alcohol.

We don't give medical advice on these forums.

You know nothing about Kisha and his issues,he needs to see a Doctor.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:28 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heath480 View Post
SoberSusan that was your experience.Far from the usual.

We don't give medical advice on these forums.

You know nothing about Kisha and his issues,he needs to see a Doctor.
I didn't mean someone shouldn't see a doctor - I just don't agree that an internist/family doctor will necessarily take the time to figure out exactly what is happening and exactly what combo of meds is appropriate. This has been the experience of myself and just about everyone I know locally - (dozens of people and only one was referred to a psychiatrist for diagnosis) hence my opinion. I was not giving medical advice - only sharing my own experience.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Boy, I must have lucked out with my Primary Care Physician and psychiatrist. My PCP is amazing and when I saw her for depression about two years ago, we had a pretty good talk and referred me to my psychiatrist.

His initial consultation was about 45 minutes and we talked about all kinds of things from my past as well as what was happening in the present. He diagnosed me as bipolar and I tried several different medications. If one had a side-effect I didn't like, he had me try something else. I never had the feeling that he was trying to peddle his favorite medication. Whenever I would see him, he would ask me all sorts of questions.

I absolutely agree with CarlyGirl. Symptoms of depression can be crippling. The medication is there to help you. I really do think that counseling is a good idea also. I've just had a hard idea finding one I really connect with.

If you have any concerns at all, make sure you write them down so you can ask your doctor about them and make an appointment to be seen.

Best of luck.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I work with a prescribing psychiatrist, and I take an antidepressant. It is a collaboration. She worked at an inpatient facility for over a decade and is very involved in the study of neuropsychiatry. She is also an advocate of a 12-step modality.

We discuss sleep, exercise, food. I have a chronic pain issue and she addresses the issues that come with that. I have had other p-docs in the past but never with this level of integration.

I was dragging a lot 6 weeks ago, then I realized it was Feb. I wasn't interested in anything. I told her if I won the lottery I felt like I would be too lazy to cash the ticket. Procrastination, brain fog. We increased my dosage slightly and about 8 days later I realized I was singing in the car, I started caring about being involved with life again. I can only describe it after the fact as a mantle that gradually wrapped around me and I didn't even know I was lugging it around.

I was struggling. And when that link got put into the chain it gave me clarity again. The best way I can describe it is like a spritz of lemon over a salad. It didn't change the dish, it just brought everything back into focus.

Something that I notice when I get depressed is that my ability to read a page in a book starts to fade. But, I usually don't notice that it has happened. I am usually pretty latent to realize that things are getting gray again, and it is not until the meds begin working that I realize I had slipped into a puddle. All of a sudden I will be reading and realize that I am back in the present. It is hard to describe, but to me, there is an absolute physiological component that I have no judgement about. Early trauma, head trauma, I don't know what messed up the wiring, but I am grateful that I live in a time where these things can be looked at.

So, for me, antidepressants work. But there are a lot, they should be specific, and I would encourage due diligence on what your issues are, why a particular med is being suggested, and I would be upfront about fine tuning or switching if things are working.